Patch Testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you always patch test your clients?

• Yes, always my insurances insists

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Sometimes, depends on client

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • No never

Votes: 33 64.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
Just read another post which made me think (& it hurt..) Do you all do patch test on all new clients?

So far all of mine have refused point blank and I was trained to insist or refuse to treat, but for the right or wrong reasons I have gone ahead with the signed consent. :rolleyes: as usual they don't want to wait and must have nails there and then. I know this is not the route but what to do you do when they are insist they aren't allergic to the products

Do you find the refusal to be a common issue with new clients :?:

Sawasdee ka

This is only time i have ever see some thing speak about this.

Mui not smile my salon no good today

Why do you not smile? :(

We would not usualy patch test if it's enhancements, only if a client is concerend about a certain product..............then they are quiet happy to do so...................
They know we care enough to ask them !!!!!!!!

But we do require a patch test if we do eyelash or eybrow tinting and the client has never had this done before............
It's our policy and if they dont comply we do not treat them..........
Better safe then blinded or puffy eyed...............

I don't patch test for nail enhancements, however if I were to do eyelash tinting then I would.

Just a thought..........all my creams are Creative and tend to be highly scented (lovely for me......ahhhh!). However, how do they stand up if a client has sensitive skin?

Adele

It is not safe or smart to try to do a DIY patch test on a client for nail enhancements.

We have been educating for years for technicians NOT to get their products on clients skin. So why would one even attempt to do a patch test?

Another point to consider is that there are many different chemicals contained in say monomer liquid so what would a patch test prove? How would you know from your own 'do it yourself' patch test, exactly which chemical was causing the problem?

Enhancement products should not be on any surface other than the nail. Doug Schoon (Nail Structure & Product Chemistry) specifically warns against doing any kind of DIY patch testing.

Creative creams and lotions are designed to be used on the skin. A thorough client consultation (which should include the question "do you suffer from allergies?") Should give you a clue as to whether or not to be careful about using certain products.

Thanks for this feed back.

I feel very concerned that i was told in by my trainer to do this we were instructed to put a drop of each product on a plaster then after 24 hours check the client had no allergic reactions....plus I was told that if i did not do this and a claim was made that it would invalidate my insurance :rolleyes: .

The sooner I can do a conversation the better it would seem

Sorry Louise ... this is just such bad and ignorant advice and in fact could be dangerous.

I am sure this is one of those cases where the tutor has passed on something that SHE thinks and not information that is taught as policy by Star Nails. I certainly have not heard that this 'patch test thing' is included in the normal curriculum, and I'm sure we would have heard about it before now if it were.

The 'Branded' products that we use in the nail industry are naturally perfectly safe to use on any client without taking any precautions other than, as I said earlier, a thorough client consultation prior to service to ascertain if he/she suffers from any allergies.

The reason some other products like eyelash tint need to be tested is because they contain known allergens to which people are allergic or sensitive. This is not the case with nail products that are essentially used on non-living tissue (the nail plate).

The more I learn on this web site the more advise you give the more I feel like I was robbed of proper training and spend ££££'s stupidly when I could have gone to Creative and been given more value for money and learning :(

Well Creative are going to be around for years to come and your education is a life long thing. I'm sure we will see you sooner or later.

We bring on board a lot of our most valued customers via the same route you have taken.

One doesn't always have the privilege of learning to drive in an Aston Martin!!! But it's something to aim for!!!

Thanks for help your help Geeg. :p

lets be sure not to come across as 'dissing' any products or education.

The key reason for doing patch testing with hair colours and dyes in because skin contact is an inevitably.
You should avoid doing patch testing as all manufactures state that you should NEVER have monomer come in contact with skin. When you do not follow manufacturers directions, you can be considered legally negligent. As doing a patch test involves getting product on skin... then doing a patch test is a great way to be held negligent for use of that product!

Now saying that, some manufactures have been known to issue patch tests in the past for specific ingredients... but these have been very isolated instances.

At the end of the day... Don't get uncured product on your clients skin... and they can never have a reaction ;)

Hope this helps

Well Geeg and Sam are right never let uncured products touch the skin........over exposure and the like...........

But I have patch tested in the past............... But I have to point out it was the fully cured product....Fibreglass applied to a hypo allergenic plaster, resin and the activated..........once the product on the plaster was fully cured it was applied to the skin .............. never would I apply uncured Product to the skin.................

In this instance it was a client who seemed to be allergic to anything and everything under the sun...........a sensitive little soul......we just wanted to make sure, that there was no reaction at all to the finished cured end product, as in her touchig her face with the enhancement...........but I am happy to say , she wasn't allergic to any of the cured products.........and is still a living and breathing client of mine..............

So I have done this 2x in over 10 years and will hold my hands up to it............But it is not the norm in our Nail Salon.............

So dont shoot me yet, I havn't finished my Voddy and Orange yet!!!!!!

love Ruth xxxxxxx

Do you find the refusal to be a common issue with new clients :?:[/QUOTE]
i dont do patch tests for nails either. and i wasnt taught to. i only do a patch test for eyelash and brow tinting.

you said you were taught to do this. unbelievable. however i did come across an article in one of my nail mags quite a while ago, stating that if a client does have an allergic reaction to do a patch test with plasters.

i agree with the rest of the girls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back