Patch tests UK

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purple01

Reaction score
Hi all I’m in the uk and lots of rumours on social media around patch test requirements when we reopen in april
could anyone tell me of any colour houses that don’t require a patch test before each colour service?

Hi all I’m in the uk and lots of rumours on social media around patch test requirements when we reopen in april
could anyone tell me of any colour houses that don’t require a patch test before each colour service?
I watched an Instagram live on this the other day. And the best thing to do is to see what your insurance company require you to do.
If there was ever a lawsuit it's your insurance company you'll be relying on not the colour house.

I watched an Instagram live on this the other day. And the best thing to do is to see what your insurance company require you to do.
If there was ever a lawsuit it's your insurance company you'll be relying on not the colour house.

Hi my insurance just told me to follow manufactures instructions which state before every service or I can use colour start but I’d like to know if there are any colour houses that don’t require pre every service

Each colour house have manufacturers instructions as you know, but most of them also have a protocol which is different to the instructions. You need to ask for the protocol and then see if your insurance company will also cover the protocol.

I would check that your insurance company would cover the colour start if they are self administered by the client because it seems alot of insurance companies won't cover self administered tests.

My insurance definitely covers colourstart. Would the manufacturers instructions not be classed as their protocol?

My insurance definitely covers colourstart. Would the manufacturers instructions not be classed as their protocol?
Not necessarily, a protocol is usually different. Out of interest what colour house do you use?

For example I use Wella.

Their manufacturers instructions is before every colour. However they have an allergy alert test policy (AAT) which is what they are advising to use for guidance.

This AAT hasn't changed since covid. It's a questionnaire of 10 questions which should be followed before every colour regardless of covid times or not.

It basically states if they haven't had a colour within six months, changing their usually shade or product then a patch test needs doing.

If they haven't had an allergy test in 12 months they need re-testing.

If they have used a box colour they need testing.

If they have had a tattoo, henna or permanent make up since their last service they need a test.

If they have had an allergic reaction to any products they use at home since their last visit then there needs to be a patch test.

That's the sort of basics of it.

I use mainly NXT and swarzkopf
That’s interesting about the protocol I’ll get in touch with them and ask the question thanks for your advise

...It basically states;
If they haven't had a colour within six months, changing their usually shade or product then a patch test needs doing.
If they haven't had an allergy test in 12 months they need re-testing.
If they have used a box colour they need testing.
If they have had a tattoo, henna or permanent make up since their last service they need a test.
If they have had an allergic reaction to any products they use at home since their last visit then there needs to be a patch test...

A good reminder of the basic questions to ALWAYS ASK prior to any colour service as part of your normal consultation. I always ask about any unusual reactions as sometimes they might have felt some itchiness on their scalp but not considered it an allergic reaction.

Also, remember to ask if they’ve had any Covid symptoms as there’s some evidence that Covid can cause clients to be more sensitive to colour products when previously, they'd be totally fine.

Not only ask but also make a note that you asked on your client notes. It only needs a tick box. If there’s any issue afterwards, you can refer to your notes as evidence of you asking the right questions.

Finally, if they answer yes to tattoos, box colours or Henna then also consider doing an Incompatibility test too. (I’m assuming that Permanent make-up is the same risk as tattoo’s.)

Hi I always do ask and if there’s a problem with skin incompatibility etc will deal with it I’m just enquiring if there’s any other colour houses who don’t require skin testing before each service as long as you go through a screening process with questions

Hi I always do ask and if there’s a problem with skin incompatibility etc will deal with it I’m just enquiring if there’s any other colour houses who don’t require skin testing before each service as long as you go through a screening process with questions
Wella as long as you go through their screening process.
I'm not 100% but u think it may be similar for loreal but i wouldn't know as I've not had them in the salon for a few years

This is a very big question in the industry with hair colours. I have seen all suppliers in the last 5 years change to EVERY time and yet a lot of the hairdressing industry still say every (1 year or 6 months or 3 months etc). Our insurance says as long as we follow the recommended product / brands instructions then we are covered. So, we now test every client at least 48 hours before (no longer than 5 days) every colour application, if they can't come in we use ColourStarts (these can be mailed to clients as well but I think are only for hair colour and are covered by their own insurance). My main concern is that I do not want to allow the insurance company to get out of covering us. I still see the industry saying every 3 months now but I would rather be safe than sorry, it only takes 1 client to react and 1 insurance company to say they are not covering due to us not following the tint tube instructions. We also, get the clients to read through an A5 sheet to check things like tattoos in last month, etc, and then to sign in a folder to say they have not reacted and are happy to have the colour service etc.

This is a very big question in the industry with hair colours. I have seen all suppliers in the last 5 years change to EVERY time and yet a lot of the hairdressing industry still say every (1 year or 6 months or 3 months etc). Our insurance says as long as we follow the recommended product / brands instructions then we are covered. So, we now test every client at least 48 hours before (no longer than 5 days) every colour application, if they can't come in we use ColourStarts (these can be mailed to clients as well but I think are only for hair colour and are covered by their own insurance). My main concern is that I do not want to allow the insurance company to get out of covering us. I still see the industry saying every 3 months now but I would rather be safe than sorry, it only takes 1 client to react and 1 insurance company to say they are not covering due to us not following the tint tube instructions. We also, get the clients to read through an A5 sheet to check things like tattoos in last month, etc, and then to sign in a folder to say they have not reacted and are happy to have the colour service etc.
Have you had any issue regarding the cost of the COLOURSTART from your clients?
I have used COLOURSTART for approximately 10 years, and the cost was minimal so I used to give them out freely
However as they are now reclassified as a medicine - each test now costs us over £10.00 - and we are required to charge the client £15.00...
I think my clients are going to object to this - but there is no other option of testing those booked in the first week of re-opening....
What are your thoughts/suggestions 🤓

Hi yes I’ve just changed my insurance to FHA as these cover for everything requiring a patch test once a year unless any changes in medical history thought it’s easier to change my insurance rather than colour house

Have you had any issue regarding the cost of the COLOURSTART from your clients?
I have used COLOURSTART for approximately 10 years, and the cost was minimal so I used to give them out freely
However as they are now reclassified as a medicine - each test now costs us over £10.00 - and we are required to charge the client £15.00...
I think my clients are going to object to this - but there is no other option of testing those booked in the first week of re-opening....
What are your thoughts/suggestions 🤓

We've never used colour start because they have never been valid when self administered with most insurances. Also with the new wella koleston being ME+ rather than PPD they are useless for wella salons because they don't contain any of the ME+ pigment.

You could open the first day and just do patch tests. If your salon doesn't open Mondays then you can open on the 12th just fo patch tests.

If you do open Mondays you can just booked in your clients who have cut and blow drys and get everyone to come in for a patch test who are due for a colour on the Wednesday.

You can also follow your colour houses protocol which may not require you to re patch test every single client either.

We've never used colour start because they have never been valid when self administered with most insurances. Also with the new wella koleston being ME+ rather than PPD they are useless for wella salons because they don't contain any of the ME+ pigment.

You could open the first day and just do patch tests. If your salon doesn't open Mondays then you can open on the 12th just fo patch tests.

If you do open Mondays you can just booked in your clients who have cut and blow drys and get everyone to come in for a patch test who are due for a colour on the Wednesday.

You can also follow your colour houses protocol which may not require you to re patch test every single client either.

Latest posts

Back