Pay Structures For Beauty Therapists - Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsmith

Reaction score
Hi all

I am just about to take on another beautician and I would also like to give a raise to my other beautician who has been with me for three years.

I am in a bit of a quandry on what are the rates of pay for beauticians and would be most grateful if you salon owners out there can help

I m looking for normal therapist and senior therapist (what would you qualify as a senior therapist).

Also am I asking them to work too long hours or again what do you salon owners use for opening hours - mine are 9-8 on tuesday 9-5.30wed to fri and 9-3 on saturday

I would be most grateful for any help and you can pm me if that helps

heidi

I pay approx £6.00 for newly qualified and up to £7 for senior therapist. There is also a bonus and commission for retail sales on top of this.

We do pay reviews every 6 months though so its more gradual than just a jump.

I'd be interested in hearing from others though to see if this is reasonable.

Last edited:
Hi, hope I'm not treading on toes here, but I thought (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that there was a difference between a beautician and a beauty therapist, therefore, would pay be different for each?

I am sure that there was a survey publicised in one of the beaut mag this last week or so - think it is Professional Beauty. It states what the average pay rates for therapists has been in the past and also up to 2006.

Hi, hope I'm not treading on toes here, but I thought (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that there was a difference between a beautician and a beauty therapist, therefore, would pay be different for each?

I have done level 2 & 3 and both are in beauty therapy so I class myself as a beauty therapist.

When I worked in spas I have never been called a beautician but since I have been self-employed & work in a salon clients & hair stylists all refer to me as 'the beautician' which I hate with a passion !

Some people class just level 2 as a beautician, why I don't know. I think beautician is a real 80's word !

Three years ago when I worked in spa my wage was £5.90 per hour plus 10% commisson. My friend is newly qualified and earns minimum wage which I think is appaling as you can earn more working in a tea room :eek:

I would say around £6 newly qualified & £7.50 for senior or head therapist.

I have done level 2 & 3 and both are in beauty therapy so I class myself as a beauty therapist.

When I worked in spas I have never been called a beautician but since I have been self-employed & work in a salon clients & hair stylists all refer to me as 'the beautician' which I hate with a passion !

Some people class just level 2 as a beautician, why I don't know. I think beautician is a real 80's word !

Three years ago when I worked in spa my wage was £5.90 per hour plus 10% commisson. My friend is newly qualified and earns minimum wage which I think is appaling as you can earn more working in a tea room :eek:

I would say around £6 newly qualified & £7.50 for senior or head therapist.

I agree with your here Juliette as I HATE the word beautician as it is very old fashioned.

I am at the minute level 2 qualified but call myself a beauty therapist in the treatments I am trained in. when I do my level 3 I will still call myself a beauty therapist, but being able to do more treatments than before!

Hi Guys,

I don't know much about this, but i thought i would put in my input just in case it helps.

When i worked at a salon/spa, i was just a receptionist there but due to my background i earned the same as the therapists. The therapists, excluding our senior, and i were paid £7.69 per hour. This was on a 40 hour per week basis, on a rota basis covering hours from 7 am till 9pm at night weekdays, and from 8-6 saturdays and 10-4 on sundays.

We all felt we were well paid at that company.

I hope this helps...

I agree with your here Juliette as I HATE the word beautician as it is very old fashioned.

I am at the minute level 2 qualified but call myself a beauty therapist in the treatments I am trained in. when I do my level 3 I will still call myself a beauty therapist, but being able to do more treatments than before!

Yes that is the way i see it to.

IMO Beautician is just an outdated word for a Beauty Therapist.

The hair stylist at the salon I work at calls me a beautician all the time(which does grate a little bit as I know I am more qualified), I think that unless you are actually a therapist yourself, people tend not to know the difference or even care what the difference is for that matter.
http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/48147-salary-beauty-therapist.html
This might help you out a bit
xx

Latest posts

Back