Paying a %..how much?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deni

Dinky Geek
Reaction score
Hi..
I know that the cost of renting a room out in a salon etc depends on where the salon is located etc but was wondering what is the % that beauty therapist/nail technician pay, and what you get included..

Love to hear from anyone paying a % or anyone charging a % please

Kind regards..

Last edited:
Hey, i pay 20% of whatever i earn to rent the room i do. It's only one room and is very small with no window so no reception room to go with it

Thanks for your reply..What do you get for your 20%? do you supply everything yourself?

I think 20% rental is fair if the technician is providing her own equipment & materials.

If the salon is providing the equipment & materials, I think 50% is fair.

I thought the whole point of renting is to pay a flat rate and keep the rest of your revenue. Is this not just commission, but in reverse?

Christine, if you think 50% is fair if salon provides equipment/materials etc..what about (advertising, taking bookings, washing, tea/coffee,uniform etc etc? Who do you think should do these?
Taking a % has so many grey area thats why i decided to put this thread on geek.
I think things should be fair to the therapist/technician but also the overheads are so high in a salon its hard to know what is fair all round..
I appriciate any replies and opinions..

My girls work on commission.
60-40 is usually the norm. I have a new hairdresser who is paying 50% at the moment while she is building a client base. She already has some clients but once she is busy she will be paying 60%.
I provide everything. I do the advertising, take the bookings, do the laundry, provide tea and coffee and i'll clean up if she is busy :)
The only thing she provides is her scissors.
My beauty therapist is the same-works on commission but she gives me 50% as she has been doing it for 10 years and bought a hell of a lot of clients with her so we agreed on 50%.
With room rental the therapist would pay a set weekly rent and have to provide all products and equipment. With room rental it is good to have a contract detailing everything that is provided etc...

Both my girls work on 50%
I book the clients and it's my phone, towels, products, bills etc.
They just (?) come in, do the work and go home.
We're all happy :)

Hi there.
Just read your replies re. commission. I am very interested as I need to take on a beauty therapist as I am working on my own in small salon, but I don't know the best way to do it. When you do 50/50 or 60/40 does therapist sort out their own tax etc? How do you work out quiet times? Any replies would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance:)

my girls are on a 60 - 40% 40% goes to them as i supply everything and all they have to do is turn up .
If they work they earn etc. I do all the washing, supplying clients with tea coffee etc
they are classed as self employed and have to do there own tax returns

Mine works where i am self employed and i use all my own equiptment. I redecorated the room myself and pay the hairdresser 20% of whatever i earn as rent. Only problem im finding is that i the only work im really getting is through whatever im doing to advertise. Im finding im getting next to no work booked in unless it's one of my existing clinets or through something i have done to get the work. Dont seem to be getting alot of work pushed my way throught the hair dressers

Hiya

I currently do two days a week at the moment in a newly opened salon that has an existing client base. To be onest I'm doing her a favour and helping her out, she was desperate and as I had worked in her old salon before, she gave me a ring. I come in when I'm called in on those two days while business is building and I pay 50% of whatever I do. I provide some equipment and product (and of course the expertise), the salon provides some equipment and products. I asked the salon owner how much she would want on a weekly basis if I should want to go full time (5 days) and she said £100 per week.

Personally I think that's a bit much when I can rent out a whole unit for £300 pcm. I know I'd have to pay lekky, gas, water, phone etc, but I'd rather do that if I was to work all week than give that to someone else. I have my own (small) client base and I do two days at home (or mobile for one client) and I get to keep all the profit for myself to plough back into my biz, so I'm not eager to a) go full time at the salon, or b) set up on my own in my own unit - at the moment ;)

Sarah. xx

Latest posts

Back