Paying an employee on vacation, do you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen889

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently took on an employee, hourly rate. I'm leaving on vacation soon for a week and she will not be working while I'm gone (she's still in school, legally not allowed to stay alone). I'm torn on the decision of still paying her even though were closed as an incentive and not paying as I don't have too since she's not working an hours. What do you guys do with employees when you close the spa/salon?

If she is employed by you and not self employed you will need to pay her but use it as a 'set' holiday so the week will come out of her annual holiday allowance - that way even tho u have paid her u won't be paying her anymore for the year that you would have anyway x

No you don't have to pay her. If she wants to take it out of her annual leave herself then pay her that but if not that's up to her. You can't force her to use her annual leave.

No you don't have to pay her. If she wants to take it out of her annual leave herself then pay her that but if not that's up to her. You can't force her to use her annual leave.

Thank you for your response :) I wouldn't dream of taking it out of her vacation allowance. It would have been extra and she hasn't been working long enough to qualify for vacation allowance yet. I guess I'm thinking more from my heart and not business for this.

Our employment laws in Britain are probably completely different to yours, so we could give you the wrong advise on the legality's. Business comes first, I wouldn't pay if she's not been with you long enough to be entitled.

In Britain we can in enforce holiday leave at certain times, a lot of companies shut down over Christmas and employee's have to take it off as part of their annual leave.

Our employment laws in Britain are probably completely different to yours, so we could give you the wrong advise on the legality's. Business comes first, I wouldn't pay if she's not been with you long enough to be entitled.

In Britain we can in enforce holiday leave at certain times, a lot of companies shut down over Christmas and employee's have to take it off as part of their annual leave.

Ah, it works differently here in Canada. I have the choice to pay her or not for this week away and it doesn't come part of her annual vacation allowance. She won't be working as she's still an apprentice and can't be left alone, otherwise I'd keep the spa open as that's my main reason for an employee :p

I think its difficult has you have only recently employed her. The hardened boss side of me says no do not pay her, But being realistic if she is a good employee then it would be a nice gesture to perhaps pay her half her wages. Having said that when i have been to nice in the past employees have taken advantage. x

You can dictate when a employee takes holiday to suit the business.

We have in contracts you may be asked to take annual leave when it's quiet.

I think its difficult has you have only recently employed her. The hardened boss side of me says no do not pay her, But being realistic if she is a good employee then it would be a nice gesture to perhaps pay her half her wages. Having said that when i have been to nice in the past employees have taken advantage. x

I don't think she would take advantage but you never know. We are also closing for two weeks after the 24th as I do every year. I'm paying her for that time off so maybe just pay her for this time as well. She only works 8hrs a week, it's not much :p

Latest posts

Back