Paying room rent whilst on maternity leave?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimue

Reaction score
The room I rent for beauty has just been taken over by a new manager and she has bought in new contracts!! In the contract it says that if we require maternity leave we need to give 5 months notice so she can advertise for a replacement. Then if a replacement can't be found, I am liable to pay room rent whilst I am off on maternity leave!!!
WTF! Can she do this?! I'm really annoyed!!
I thought that as I'm self employed she can't dictate to me stuff like this?

I'd be grateful for any advice?
Thanks in advance :)

Hi there congrats on baby news.
Don't take this the wrong way but if she doesn't get a replacement do you honestly expect her to keep your room empty until you return and not receive an income from it ?
Have you thought about voluntary giving your room up that way you won't have anything to pay however I understand you would lose your clients.

In my contracts I ask for 3 months notice, not just for maternity but in any case of ending a contract, if your going on maternity but want to keep your room you've got to pay for it during the duration of your leave (and she can use the space while your gone) and if you don't want the room it gives you time to find another salon or finish up your business & gives the salon time to find a replacement it's only fair really, are you expecting a baby?

You don't expect not to pay rent/mortgage on you home or ask for your phone bill to be free whilst in mat leave/sick leave

It's all the same. You are self employed and rent a space either on a commission basis or on a set rent, both are exactly that - rent. You rent the space regardless of anything. If you were off sick for 1 week or 3 months you'd have to pay aswell. All providing you want to work their when you go back, if you don't just hand your notice in.

5 months however seems excessive for notice 3 months seems more acceptable.

Lots do self employed people don't have a proper maternity leave, and that's me included, my baby is due in December and I will be working straight away, from home - remotely managing the salon, but still working. If i don't work, the salon won't make money and I can't pay my rent, although I rent a whole building it's still the same I have to pay regardless.

Unfortunately self employed has it's downside just like being employed. But there are lots of benefits to being self employed (and employed) it's about finding out what is more important then taking the route that suits it. For me being my own boss and being able to be flexible with my work and work around my children is the most important - so self employed for me is better.

Good luck and don't worry, most self employed people will deal with issues like this :)

Jemima :)

Thanks guys. No I not expecting atm, but it is certainly an option for me within the next year, as my little boy is coming up to 2 years old.
Your comments have been very helpful and have made me realise she has probably got a point.
Thanks again folks :)

I was charged my full $575 a month while I was off for 3 months before I had my twins. I found someone to takeover my clients and I charged her commission to cover my product and rent.

As said above id expect to pay it if I wanted it to still be available after maternity leave. But if I was paying full rent (owner isn't loosing out on anything) Id expect the room to sit empty till I came back. I wouldn't want someone potentially poaching my clients, unless you were to employ someone to keep the business running for you.

When I do have a baby I wouldn't be going back to work for a good while, so Id ask to give up the room. Thats just me though.

Xx

Whenever I've rented a room, the rent was payable 52 weeks of the year and I was totally fine with that.

I wanted the benefits of being self employed so I have to take the responsibility that comes with it and that is paying rent for my room/salon whether I am using it or not. Gave me the incentive to work hard.

Do you think she gets to not pay rent if she is off on mat leave?

It's just the way it goes im afraid, I use to rent a chair and had to pay when I was off with leukemia.

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

it really depends whats written in the contract.

i would expect payment 52 weeks of the year, but i would also expect there to be some clause that says the chair can be sub let if through illness etc the chair will b empty for a long time.

Latest posts

Back