Paying Staff For Training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-hairdresser

Reaction score
Hi all just a quick question!

Do you pay your staff for any training you send them on? such as sending them on a course which costs £500 a day paying all expenses such as travel accomodation etc, do you then pay them a wage for thier time?? do you send them on a normal working day or on a day off?

With my office job I would get paid for a normal working day, but if you are sending them on a course that will benefit their career even if they leave you I wouldn't expect to get paid but its a tricky one cause some staff might not want to go if they are loosing a days wages.

Whatever you do I would include it in their contracts somewhere that if they leave within a certain time period they have too pay back the cost of the training (I know Toni and Guy do this)

HTH's

thanks for the speedy reply, this is already in thier contracts. its a very tricky one.

My employer didnt want 2 want me for the free course she sent me however because it was in surrey 2hours away from me thats the least she could do as it costed me £300 on accodamation 2 stay there for the week which again came out of my wage. However the situation is different because your actually paying them to go on an expensive course where mine was free for her to send me and ending up costing me more

IMO, if you are expecting the employee to do the course, you pay for the course, accommodation etc if required and their normal wages. But if they want to do the course to advance their career, it's up to them to pay any expenses and not be paid wages.
I think if you are expecting them to do the course then it's only fair you pay what they would be out of pocket. I refuse to do courses if I'm not getting paid for it because I still have rent to pay.

Staff should be paid for attending training, or given a day(s) off in lieu in my opinion.

any training i have done has been paid for by my employer and has counted as a normal working day

You have to pay them hun, its part of the EU working directive.
But.............. that is only if its you sending them on a course you want them to do. If its a course they want to do then its very nice if you give them the time of to do it but costs etc are down to them and no you don't pay them.
Your accountant should have all this sort of information to hand, or your union lawyer.

You have to pay them its the law. It can not be taken as holiday as unpaid. you can have it written in there contract that if they leave with 12 month they have to pay back the cost of the course e.g leave within a month pay 100%, 6 months 50%. Even though they are on a course it is still classed as work because they are representing you.

I am a therapist and have just started a new job, and my new employer has already booked me on two courses, one of which I've been on. I didn't get a day off that week, I had to pay for my own travel, she paid for the hotel but it was an hour from the academy and she didn't even include breakfast.

I'm technically still in my 3 month trial as I've only been there for 4 weeks. She insisted I go on this course as soon as possible as she had clients waiting to recieve the treatment, but if I leave, which I probably will, I'll have to pay her back the costs. She's got me booked to go on a 2 week course in February, if I've got to pay my own travel and food, it'll cost me a good couple of hundred pounds which I just haven't got spare! Also, she's expecting me to leave my kids for a week at a time and work in the salon on the weekends in between!!

Sorry... I don't want to sound like I just wanted to moan about my job. I realise have issues to deal with there! Just wanted to give a different perspective on the thread. Ideally, training should be beneficial to the individual therapist, the salon that she works for and the clients. I'm grateful for the input into my career development, I realise training is expensive for employers to provide. But I just can't afford to go on any more courses for this employer, in fact I'm probably going to leave beacuse of the way she has treated me over it.:cry:

i would not be happy to pay back the cost of a course that my employer had insisted i go on if i wanted to leave my job for some reason. what if the reason for leaving was circumstances beyond ones control like a sick spouse or child to care for etc.

it would be fair if i had wanted the course but had got my boss to fund it though.

i would expect all my expenses to be covered by the employer if it was obligatory to do the course.

i would not be happy to pay back the cost of a course that my employer had insisted i go on if i wanted to leave my job for some reason. what if the reason for leaving was circumstances beyond ones control like a sick spouse or child to care for etc.

it would be fair if i had wanted the course but had got my boss to fund it though.

i would expect all my expenses to be covered by the employer if it was obligatory to do the course.

it should state in the contract. i suspect most employers that are willing to invest money into expense courses would rather there stay for more than a year so that the actual education benefits there business rather than someones CV. It's a a 2 way street people who show loyalty and commitment will tend to have invested in there education.

if a member of my team was unwilling to go on a courses it would seriously make me question there passion/commitment/attitude. if you are going to leave tell them thats the reason why you don't want to go on the coarse. they must want you to stay otherwise they would'nt want to send you. its a novel idea, but be honest with people

it all really depends on the coarse. top courses @ L'oreal, for one day can cost £220-£450 depending on the teacher. while colour degree courses cost thousands of pounds Wella/L'oreal and take months to complete. add to this wages, travel, accomodation and food expenses, then i would be very pissed off if someone i had spent all this money on decided to leave after the coarse had finished. employers would want to see a return on such a large investment which is spread over a career with a company not a few months or a year or two.

to run a training centre for 7/8 aprentices cost us £16000 in trainer fees alone, not including welfare, insurance, product cost, administration cost etc over 2 years. so when a apprentice finishes gives you 3/4 months service i would get pissed off. a lot of the time i don't think some employee realise the cost involved. on our account we had misculanious expenses totalling £9000 - this is all the think the account could'nt add to other categories such as rent, rates, education, legal, admin, advertising, travel, cost of sales, welfare, health and safety, wages, payroll, telephone, computer hardware and soft, building maintaince etc etc etc.

greedy employers - i don't think so!!!

Last edited:
At my previous job you had to undertake training. In my first three months I did 4 weeks of training. Due to back problems I left the job 9 months later, I had to pay back a percentage of the training. It was in my contract, I had no choice!
From an employee point of view it sucks. But from your manager/owners point of view, you have to understand that some people, will get the job get trained, sometimes all expenses pay and then leave to work for someone else, fully trained!

hth
becki x

i offer a training fund for my staff, for every £200 they earn, they get a £10 training voucher, when they have saved enough for a course they wish to go on, i book it for them. this saves the hassle of trying to claim back if they leave.

i offer a training fund for my staff, for every £200 they earn, they get a £10 training voucher, when they have saved enough for a course they wish to go on, i book it for them. this saves the hassle of trying to claim back if they leave.

Now thats a good idea Emmie - has any of your staff taken advantage of this yet and how long did it take them to earn enough to cover the cost of the course?

Now thats a good idea Emmie - has any of your staff taken advantage of this yet and how long did it take them to earn enough to cover the cost of the course?

yes, i only started this in november, and by december i had already bookeed a nail art course for my level 3 trainee.. and she still has vouchers left. it works well. :) obviously, the more expensive the course the longer its going to take. i suppose it also depens on the time of year and how busy we are.:)

it should state in the contract. i suspect most employers that are willing to invest money into expense courses would rather there stay for more than a year so that the actual education benefits there business rather than someones CV. It's a a 2 way street people who show loyalty and commitment will tend to have invested in there education.

if a member of my team was unwilling to go on a courses it would seriously make me question there passion/commitment/attitude. if you are going to leave tell them thats the reason why you don't want to go on the coarse. they must want you to stay otherwise they would'nt want to send you. its a novel idea, but be honest with people

it all really depends on the coarse. top courses @ L'oreal, for one day can cost £220-£450 depending on the teacher. while colour degree courses cost thousands of pounds Wella/L'oreal and take months to complete. add to this wages, travel, accomodation and food expenses, then i would be very pissed off if someone i had spent all this money on decided to leave after the coarse had finished. employers would want to see a return on such a large investment which is spread over a career with a company not a few months or a year or two.

to run a training centre for 7/8 aprentices cost us £16000 in trainer fees alone, not including welfare, insurance, product cost, administration cost etc over 2 years. so when a apprentice finishes gives you 3/4 months service i would get pissed off. a lot of the time i don't think some employee realise the cost involved. on our account we had misculanious expenses totalling £9000 - this is all the think the account could'nt add to other categories such as rent, rates, education, legal, admin, advertising, travel, cost of sales, welfare, health and safety, wages, payroll, telephone, computer hardware and soft, building maintaince etc etc etc.

greedy employers - i don't think so!!!

It is a 2 way street. If you treat your employees well, treat them with respect, pay them well, then they're more likely to stay with you and are usually more than happy to do any training you require of them.

If my employer says I have to do compulsory training then I expect them to pay for it and my wages. They are the ones benefiting from sending me on the course. Especially if it's something that I wouldn't do unless they state I have to do it.

Thats such a good incentive, well done Emmie xx

Latest posts

Back