Paying trainees?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnalm

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what would someone who is currently training for the level 3 be paid? Do they get paid NMW for their time? I've been told by the girl they get paid for their placement days

Is she an employee or on a recognised govt. training scheme?

She's on work placement from the local college. Then is one extra working day after it. I was always told if students are on work placement they arent paid for that day but paid for any extra days they do

What does your written contract with the college state?
If it seems a bit ambiguous to you, then ask for clarification from your liaison person at the college and ask them to confirm whatever they advise you, in writing. Email is fine as you can print off a copy for your records.

(In my experience, they are more likely to double check that what they’re advising is correct if they have to sign their name to a piece of paper or email.)

I am a student at the moment and we dont have to be paid for work placement day, it is at the employees discretion. Any days after that initial one day will need to be paid nmw

I am a student at the moment and we dont have to be paid for work placement day, it is at the employees discretion. Any days after that initial one day will need to be paid nmw

Did you mean employers discretion? :)

When it comes to payment of wages, I think whether you are the employer or employee, always insist on having a properly written contract drawn up that you can refer back to. Saves so much hassle on the long term.

Yes sorry too early employer's discretion. In college im level and atm and we dont have to but better to have 1 day work placement every other Friday in my case, when training level 3 you have to have work placement 1 day a week. Most students will usually have had a job from working free of charge once a week level 2 as once qualified you can do more. But level 3 do need a work placement once a week free of charge

See the college never gave me a contract, but i had one for another student who was at a different college and she wasn't paid. Plus i spoke to a tutor in that college who's a relation to get advice and she said no it was my choice if i paid her or not. Its just put a damper on it all for me having her in because she only just started and actually demanded to me that she be paid for that day. Plus there has been a few other issues

You dont have to keep them however you are teaching them the way of the salon so... you should be telling her whats right and wrong, which if level 3 should definitely know this by now. Just because there is no written contract you can still phone the college and ask to speak to the tutor and if there is any issues im sure the tutor will be able to iron those out. My tutor would go mad if someone ranf her and told her we were behaving not professionally as she feels as though she is teaching us how to behave in a salon along with treatments ect

A person can’t just decide whether to pay someone or not for working in their salon as these things are (quite rightly) covered by employment law. Sounds like the college might be on dodgy ground by arranging for the student to do unpaid work experience and that’s why they’ve not provided a written contract?
If the student is doing a recognised apprenticeship or training programme, then there are strict rules covering renumeration. However, this doesn’t sound like an apprenticeship programme.

If she works in the salon and you don’t pay her, could she sue you for unpaid NMW later on?
I think you should contact ACAS for further advice.

No the student is their as part of her/his college course. And they are doing voluntary work to gain salon experience. I know as i am studying at the moment.

When i was training you weren't paid for your placement day as kimmi says as it is classified as work experience, you were just paid for any additional days you were brought in after

The law has tightened up in these areas.

If the student is obliged to work in a salon for x number if hours/days a week in order to complete the course, then it can’t be classed as voluntary.

Voluntary work requires free will. The ‘worker’ can choose to donate their time for free or not to.
The student in this case, cannot choose not to work in the salon, as it’s a course requirement.

Therefore, in my mind, they are entitled to receive payment.

I think salons that turn a blind eye are at risk of prosecution for not paying minimum wage and that’s why the college won’t put anything into a formal contract as it will drastically reduce the number of salon placements available.

My other concern for you as a salon owner is, what’s to stop students changing their mind after qualifying and sue for non payment of wages, (plus holiday and sick pay etc)?

You can go around the houses trying to figure out your own definitions of voluntary work and work experience but if there are existing legal definitions, then you can’t ignore simply them.

ACAS is your best bet.

You do not have to do it but you get a better qualification and go one to do better things if you do have a placement. I totally understand where you are coming from with not voluntary but we all had to start somewhere if qualified level 2 they should ve employed in my eyes but if there are no jobs like in my area sometimes having to show your willing free of charge. Then thats what needs to be done. You will not doing paying clients, models only to help build client base then you will gain a job shampooing cleaning amd the odd blowdry only whilsy training level 2 then onto cutting colouring ect when qualified in level 2 but this will be paid work

Latest posts

Back