PayPal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sun In A Box

Reaction score
I'm currently taking cash only at my beauty room! But have been asked on a few occasions of I take card! I'm considering opening a pay pal mobile business account it's free to open, no monthly or cancellation charge plus convenient as I do everything via my phone!
Any one else use this method??
Thanks

I use Paypal dozens of times a week for my design business.

I really wish I didn't have to (but why I do is another story)

I'd be very careful If I were you. The process is very much swayed in the purchasers benefit and they can cancel a payment at anytime they like- they money is paid back into their account and there is very little you can do about it.

If you cannot prove (with a Post Office recorded delivery receipt for example) that you have literally posted a product to the purchaser then there is absolutely nothing you can do about someone who instigates a charge-back. I used to sell remi hair online- and was naive enough in the early days to send it recorded and then chuck away the chitty when It'd been delivered. Little did I know that people would purchase the hair (which wasn't cheap!) and then cancel the payment via Paypal, get their money back AND keep the hair.

A client of mines credit-card company recently "clawed back" a payment from my Paypal account for absolutely no reason, and because I offer an "intangible" service (like yourself) - then there was nothing I could do about it.

AND I was then charged a fee (of twelve quid!) by Paypal for the "investigation".

So I lost the fee of the work and was charged for it as well. Mental.

Frankly, it's a disgrace- but then idiots like me keep using them!

For every £10 I make- they take 54p....so, it's really not that cheap either.

** I must add that the client was good enough to resend the payment to me! But that doesn't always happen.

Last edited:
I'm mobile and have recently signed up for a credit card machine and wish i had sooner as the benefits out weight the months rental charges etc.

Before that i was relying on clients getting cash out or sending BACS payments.

Its not only an easier/safer way to take payments it also professionalises you as a business.

I would never pay for a beauty treament with pay pal as i dont trust it and it can look unprofessional.

There is a new thing out called iZettle which works with a smartphone and seems to only charge transaction fees.

I have a credit card machine which I pay £81 per quarter for plus transaction fees. I am tied in for 3 years - to summer next year and then I will look at the izettle.

I had a credit card terminal for a few years but cancelled it when I worked out it was costing me £500+ per year!!! I didn't see why I should be paying that just so my clients didn't have to get cash out!! It's a very thin line between being considerate for your clients and paying for their convenience. I have just recently started to use a payment system through my ipad and so far so good. I was worried that my clients might not think it was very professional but to be honest they absolutely love it....they think its very clever!!! Just explore all your options :)) x

Kelly x

That's what I use iZettle!!! X

Kelly x

Visa will only authorise chip and pin payments and at the moment no app terminal supports them. mPowa are supposed to be bringing out a reader for their app in the next month that will offer this thus allowing Visa cards to be used.

Mat

I've just had a quick look and the fees seem to be 2.75% on each transaction. Is this correct?

I use cardsave and I get on great with them. My rental is around £20 a month and then 30p per debit card, 1.7% for visa credit cards and 2.55% for mastercard credit cards. Most people pay by debit card but on average I pay around £15 a month in charges. I really think its worth it, especially if you retail as its easy for people to make impulse purchases when you take cards. I know I spend more on my card!

Wow thanks for all that advice!
Il defo check out all them options and shall keep you posted!
I have a google type iPad so I think that your option sounds convenient Kelly! Thanks dolls
Sophie x

Right Girlies!!! I tried opening an account with izettle and it won't let me HELP!! This seems to be the perfect option for me as well, I put all my correct details etc in xxx

Right Girlies!!! I tried opening an account with izettle and it won't let me HELP!! This seems to be the perfect option for me as well, I put all my correct details etc in xxx

Girlies? -*cough* :)

Not knowing what the problem is- I think you're probably best contacting them really- you'll get a faster answer.

http://help.izettle.com/

Last edited:
In thinking I gotta do it via a computer rather than my mobile as it's "secure" thanks though x

I have been using Paypal for a while now. Its ok but fees a bit too high for my liking. I got iZettle back in May this year but have been waiting until now to actually use it because it wouldn't accept Visa. Now it does. I used it today for the first time and ITS GREAT!! My client thought it was a fantastic gadget. Will continue to use it unless something else better comes along. The fees are slightly better too.

I use iZettle and love it. No contract, no terminal rental, no phone line rental. Xxx

Intuit or Square are the best... Google them :)

I've been looking at izettle for a new business I'm aobut to open, are all receipts via email?

I would never use PayPal as payment as everyone could just go home and cancel it! I'm cash only at the moment I tried izettle but couldn't get it to work online :( will try calling tomorrow x

Latest posts

Back