Pearl powder on Shellac, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AQuigley

Reaction score
So today, a client wanted pearl powder over CND shellac Black Pool, which turns the black into a pearly-blue.

All was going well, I applied the powder onto the sticky coating of the cured second coat, rubbing it in really well with a brush. But then when I applied the top coat, it seemed to drag parts of the powder off of the shellac, exposing bits of the black underneath.

I ended up just doing her nails in black all over, thankfully she was patient. What am I doing wrong, please? :)

Which top coat are you using over. I find the original top coat the best for powders/chrome and foil because of its viscosity. Express 5 can sometimes effect the layer too much. Ive not tried the new top coats like dura force or matte, but have a go and test out what effect you find from the different top coats.

I have also seen this happen when I used powders where it was just not fine enough for the effect I wanted. I know there are videos and tutorials out there on how to do chrome with Shellac and I always do the chrome method with all my pigment applications for an even result.

Maybe a CND educator would have some tips for you?

Thanks! It was express 5 I used. I'll have a go on my own nails with original top coat and see if that makes a difference. I'll also check out chrome tutorials. Am a beginner on a learning curve so all advice is welcome <3

Thanks! It was express 5 I used. I'll have a go on my own nails with original top coat and see if that makes a difference. I'll also check out chrome tutorials. Am a beginner on a learning curve so all advice is welcome QUOTE]

I love that you take time and ask, Ive been in the game for years and I still learn something new everyday both by accident, from really seasoned techs and also passionate new techs. It’s why we do what we do to share the knowledge.

Check out Winnie that works for CND. She has a YouTube tutorial on creative play with chrome, but I bet you can tweak that to Shellac [emoji4]

Thanks again @thenailbusiness

I just passed my shellac course 6 weeks ago, am really enjoying the experience and want to provide an excellent service, so ironing out these problems is a must for me :)

Thanks again @thenailbusiness

I just passed my shellac course 6 weeks ago, am really enjoying the experience and want to provide an excellent service, so ironing out these problems is a must for me :)

That’s what this industry needs. Passionate new techs like yourself who are reflected enough to be inquisitive and seek out advice like everyone should.

I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you on here again giving and receiving advice. I hope to learn for your experiences in the future [emoji4]

There is also the CND pearl top coat as another option for you. It has a slight blue tinge to it so it does change the colour underneath a little.
Pearl over lilac shades is lovely [emoji4]

Hi there has anyone used the base and top coat for the millennium chrome nails please. I have the chrome powder but not sure if to use my cnd no wipe top coat or to buy the millennium chrome top coat and is it hard wearing. Xxx

Latest posts

Back