Pedicure - dry skin removal before or after soaking?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam87

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just out of interest is it better to remove hard skin before or after soaking only I have heard that doing it after can lead to removing healthy skin too?

Hiya
I was taught to soak the feet first as this softens the skin and then to remove hard skin with a foot paddle ensuring not to over file. :)

I think it depends on the client as well as the type of foot file you use.

I have a client soak first when:
  • they have heavily callused feet because the callus remover I use requires soaking before application
  • they have particularly odorous feet
  • they come in with filthy feet
Other than the above, I sanitize their feet and do a dry foot file of the soles of their feet because the particular foot file I use states that it works best when the client's feet are dry.

I was taught to soak the feet before removing hard skin, and I still think this is the best way to do it. If you're removing healthy skin too then you're being too aggressive with your removal technique, its not to do with the feet having being soaked first. Soaking helps soften the skin making it easier to remove. If the skin is dry when you file it, it will create dust, and who wants to breathe that in? I use sea serum from CND to soften hard skin before removal and its great, I suppose its a similar technique to softening the cuticle with cuticle away before removing it. With cuticle away you could scrape too hard and end up damaging the nail plate, but thats not due to the fact you used a softener, its due to your removal technique being too hard.

Besides which its much more pleasant for you to treat someones feet after they have been soaking in something that smells nice :Love:

I do sanitize the feet, then soak, then work the cuticle, nails. I work on heels and balls of the feet at the end. They Still soft but dry enough to see exactly what I am removing

Latest posts

Back