Pedicure failure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struggling newbie

Reaction score
Hi there

Can anyone tell mecwhat the reason could be for Gelish shrinkage? I use the same method each time...usual nail prep(remove shine, shape nail, cuticle work). I also dehydrate the nail plate ad well as use the Gelish PH bond prior to starting with the foundation coat. It has only happened twice in about 5 months....but clients are obviously not impressed when this happens. Also....after doing a classic pedi (foot soak, scrub, foot filing etc)...a client was unhappy as not all the dry/rough skin was removed. She isn't a regular client and admitted I. The beginning of the treatment that she hasn't treated herself to a pedi in a very long time. Is it possible to remove all the the rough skin in one pedi using just a foot file and a metal foot "grater "...? Feeling very despondent at this stage.

Don't be despondent, we are always quick to criticise ourselves, it is because you care and want to get it right. I have spent many months getting great knowledge from those lovely geeks that know such a lot of hints and trouble shooting advice.
As regards your gelish question I cannot say because I don't use it, but if it is like some gels that i use , I dry brush after base coat is cured and also thoroughly mix my gel with the right mixing tool to help it behave better on the nail. Occasionally I flash cure just 2 nails ( 10 seconds )at a time so it has less chance to shrink before curing. I hope that makes sense.
Feet - you are not a miracle worker and some people expect a miracle in one session. However they are too lazy most of the time to do anything to help themselves.
I use callus terminator from mr pumice and it is brilliant. Obviously not used on diabetics and the instructions are very easy....but you must wear gloves and be careful to completely wash away the product after the recommended time. I also use their mr pumice - pumice bar which is very good at removing hard skin. You could retail it to them and recommend using after bathing 3 times a week.. Then of course its cream, cream and then more to get the feet to a better condition. I have done some really awful feet over the years and it is so rewarding to have the client with the worst feet ever thank me for my perseverance - or is it my constant nagging to force them to do bit at home as well. !!
Always remember we aren't paid to do the job of a podiatrist, but we can make a diference and pamper is what they get , and feet to like ..eventually.
Did you get her to come in another say 4 weeks to have a 2nd treatment so that she will benefit from more regular pedicures?
Good luck x

Don't be despondent, we are always quick to criticise ourselves, it is because you care and want to get it right. I have spent many months getting great knowledge from those lovely geeks that know such a lot of hints and trouble shooting advice.
As regards your gelish question I cannot say because I don't use it, but if it is like some gels that i use , I dry brush after base coat is cured and also thoroughly mix my gel with the right mixing tool to help it behave better on the nail. Occasionally I flash cure just 2 nails ( 10 seconds )at a time so it has less chance to shrink before curing. I hope that makes sense.
Feet - you are not a miracle worker and some people expect a miracle in one session. However they are too lazy most of the time to do anything to help themselves.
I use callus terminator from mr pumice and it is brilliant. Obviously not used on diabetics and the instructions are very easy....but you must wear gloves and be careful to completely wash away the product after the recommended time. I also use their mr pumice - pumice bar which is very good at removing hard skin. You could retail it to them and recommend using after bathing 3 times a week.. Then of course its cream, cream and then more to get the feet to a better condition. I have done some really awful feet over the years and it is so rewarding to have the client with the worst feet ever thank me for my perseverance - or is it my constant nagging to force them to do bit at home as well. !!
Always remember we aren't paid to do the job of a podiatrist, but we can make a diference and pamper is what they get , and feet to like ..eventually.
Did you get her to come in another say 4 weeks to have a 2nd treatment so that she will benefit from more regular pedicures?
Good luck x

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I will definitely try flash during to avoid shrinkage again . With regards to the pedi treatment. The client didn't request any additional treatment such as a paraffin wax treatment or medi heel treatment. So in a nutshell I think a classic pedi for someone who has bad conditioned feet mag not be enough. It's just disheartening as some people think it is enough but are unsatisfied with the results thereafter as they think a classic pedi will fix everything. I appreciate your advice and will definitely be recommending more regular treatments and maintenance at home too.

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I will definitely try flash during to avoid shrinkage again . With regards to the pedi treatment. The client didn't request any additional treatment such as a paraffin wax treatment or medi heel treatment. So in a nutshell I think a classic pedi for someone who has bad conditioned feet mag not be enough. It's just disheartening as some people think it is enough but are unsatisfied with the results thereafter as they think a classic pedi will fix everything. I appreciate your advice and will definitely be recommending more regular treatments and maintenance at home too.
I don't do any special treatments like parafin wax or medi heel treatment, as I don't have the time to add another 10 minutes onto my pedis. I only use the callus terminator on some neglected feet so that it is not my standard pedi if you know what I mean.
I still remain in my hour , but would cut down maybe with polish if time was running over and give an extra pamper with more massage time.
A lot of information about home care and what you will achieve on the next visit can get discussed to create a foot rescue plan for her.
I tailor what needs doing on the day and go from there.
Some of my clients have had me do their feet for about 25 years, some just 10. They don't go anywhere else as I just love doing feet. Getting horrid , neglected feet looking great and feeling like they are walking on air is the aim.
Master this one difficult client and you will find that the next neglected case that comes along will not worry you anywhere near as much.
Good luck.

Hey there! Gelish shrinking is usually caused by two factors - foundation layer too thick and/or not dry brushing after it's cure OR, the colour has separated in the bottle prior to use and needed a gentle mix before hand.

I don't do any special treatments like parafin wax or medi heel treatment, as I don't have the time to add another 10 minutes onto my pedis. I only use the callus terminator on some neglected feet so that it is not my standard pedi if you know what I mean.
I still remain in my hour , but would cut down maybe with polish if time was running over and give an extra pamper with more massage time.
A lot of information about home care and what you will achieve on the next visit can get discussed to create a foot rescue plan for her.
Some of my clients have had me do their feet for about 25 years, some just 10. They don't go anywhere else as I just love doing feet. Getting horrid , neglected feet looking great and feeling like they are walking on air is the aim.
Master this one difficult client and you will find that the next neglected case that comes along will not worry you anywhere near as much.
Good luck.

Awesome. Thanks so look much!! I value all the advice I can get at this stage!! Will take everything you said into consideration and hopefully I will get better at this

Hey there! Gelish shrinking is usually caused by two factors - foundation layer too thick and/or not dry brushing after it's cure OR, the colour has separated in the bottle prior to use and needed a gentle mix before hand.

Ok great. Will make sure I am aware of this and hopefully it won't happen again. Thanks for the tips

Good luck.
I am doing 2 clients tomorrow with very neglected feet one with very cracked heel the other has trimmed nails so short nails gone thick and ingrown anyone with advice on this.
Thanks Sue x

Latest posts

Back