Pedicure | Frenzy Over Feet-Feeding Fish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
To be honest, I would assume that most people are already reluctant to stick their feet into a pool of dead skin munching monsters. If that isn't enough to put you off, then perhaps the questionable animal-welfare implications will make you think twice? No? Well, how about the very serious risk of infection associated with these so-called Doctor Fish.

This story initially broke last year, but it's raised its ugly head again now as the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention have published a UK report by the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science. Up to now, only fourteen US States have banned the procedure, including California, Texas and Florida.

The report examined the types of bacteria associated with the inch-long toothless carp fish that nibble away at dead skin, known as Garra rufa. The fish are native to Southeast Asia and have been a popular import for salons in the UK and the USA since the treatment soared to popularity in 2008. All sorts of issues surrounding the treatment have emerged including the ethical implications of capturing, farming and transporting the fish and now the potential health risks.

Dangerous skin and soft tissue infections are possible in people that have open sores or cuts and clients with medical conditions such as diabetes can be at risk as well. Those with compromised immune systems from conditions such as AIDS, cancer and advanced age are also vulnerable.

While we have known about the fishy side of fish pedicures for a while, actual data has been pretty slim. David Verner-Jeffreys, lead researcher says, "Our study has identified some of the species of bacteria associated with this fish species including some that can cause infection in both fish and humans." The risk of infection makes sense. After all, water is a perfect breeding ground for all sorts of bacterial nasties not to mention the natural bacteria that lives on fish scales and in fish waste.

In April 2011 the UK suffered from a bacteria outbreak in a batch of 6,000 imported Garra rufa throughout salons. Studies revealed colonies of Streptococcus agalactiae, a bacteria that can cause sepsis, meningitis and pneumonia.

"The [strep] strain that we isolated typically only causes disease in fish. We then went on to look at other consignments of apparently healthy imported Garra rufa and found some other species of bacteria that can cause disease in humans and fish." This bacteria included Aeromonas which can cause wound infections and gastrointestinal problems and Mycobacteria which has already lead to some skin infections in some pedicure clients in the UK. Even more worryingly the bacteria identified appeared resistant to multiple drugs.

"To date there are only a limited number of reports of patients who might have been infected by this exposure route. However, our study raises some concerns over the extent that these fish or their transport water, might harbour pathogens of clinical relevance."

It's possible that the novelty of this treatment initially overshadowed the potential health risks. Now though, when the cons so clearly outweigh the pros there's little reason to put anyone at risk. In my humble geeky opinion it's time to get the foot file out and do your pedicures old skool.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• Fish Pedicure.jpg
    Fish Pedicure.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 747
Old skool, rules! :)

I've always thought the fish thing was a ridiculous treatment and I don't agree that it ever soared to popularity! I think plenty stupidly soared Into setting up these centres but I do not know one person who has gone back for a second time. I think allot of people have lost allot of money, and I personally think it is just wrong on so many levels.

After all our training I've never understood why people bought into this. It goes against everything I was taught anyway.

I had one once and didn't enjoy it. I'm quite happy with my foot file and Garry my garra rufa in my fish tank along with my angel fish and sharks!

Eugh eugh eugh just the thought of it makes me cringe and it has never appealed to me as a client or a business owner !! Yuk!!!

i said at the time and i'll say it again .., you cant barbicide a fish .......

i said at the time and i'll say it again .., you cant barbicide a fish .......

Love this! Doesn't get much simpler than that!

I remember someone asking for advice on here as she wanted to invest in this nonsense .... We had quite a verbal tussle. I advised against it for all the normal good business reasons ( as I also did about the silly frensy over supposedly semi-permanent mascara). Anyway, she didn't like the advice or what she heard so got stroppy .... Wonder what she would be saying now ?

All this stuff aside, I always felt really bad for those fish :(

I love to eat fish, but to use them in this way - as a fad.. I think it is terrible. Cruel.

There were fishermen in the bible, and tales of fish suppers but did you ever read a story about a fish pedicure? That was never in there... so Im out on this one from the start.

They are fantastic cleaners though. My tank would be a mess without my Garry hahaha.

The though of feet and fish together is a total no, no for me so thats why i am out!!! Yuck!:twisted:

Pioneers get the arrows, settlers get the land!

Latest posts

Back