Pedicure help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzlingnails

Reaction score
So I just started out with pedicures and wondering time limits and extra costs If they want a gel polish. So a pedicure with a regular polish I thought should take a hour so do we add more time for a gel polish. And when they come back for a reapplication do you charge to remove the gel polish and add time for that as well or take it out of the time you have already.

I work in a fast, high volume nail salon. Regular pedicures here take only 25 mins and top package takes 45 mins. If you are good at polishing, gels take only 5-10 min to paint. To remove takes 10 mins(wrapping and removal). If they remove the gel without getting gels again, we charge extra.

Also, 1 hour pedicures, imo, is way too long, even for a spa like setting. People's ass will get numb after 10 minutes of sitting.

Last edited:
Hi Dazzlingnails,
You have a few choices to be made. I do a full hour pedicure, as a home salon for over 25 years and in the industry for 37 years I have no interest in rushing what my clients consider to be my premium treatment. Returning clients for a few decades says a lot.
Pedicures are 1 hour with regular polish or foot and lower leg massage instead of polish. ( I always allocate 1 hour in the diary)
Gel pedicures -I charge extra , but as i now use cuccio peel it pre base it is a very quick removal so minimal extra time if any is needed . ( I always allocate 1 hour 10 mins in the diary)
Gel toes are under 1 hour , but as I use the pre base I charge exactly the same for ped and gel toes.
Gel removal I would charge if they aren't having gels back on, but if it is part of a normal pedicure it would be a small additional cost. Sometimes I wouldn't charge , for instance if it's just the big toes that have some remaining gel on. use your own judgement there.
I hope that makes sense.
If you are un aware of Pre base peel it from cuccio it will not work with hybrid gels. It will break down the hybrid gels into a sticky mess , so not recommended, just use with any pure gel system is their advice.
Good luck in your new pedicure venture.

I allow an hour for a regular pedicure and another 15mins if applying gel. Customers come for a pamper and relax good luck

As your just starting out in pedis your speeds might be a little slower at the moment - that's ok though, better to do a good, thorough job than rush it and you and the client not be happy with the end results. Could you time yourself doing the different pedis you want to offer on family or friends? Do it exactly as you would if it was a paying client.

It's an hour for a "Luxury" pedi with the massage, booties or paraffin with standard nail polish at college. Gel etc I would be boooking extra time and allow extra whilst being new, i'm super slow at some stuff! Good luck x

Pedicures will really vary according to which elements you include but also according to the specific client - how much hard skin they have, how much cuticle work needed etc

For example I can do a traditional pedi on one client and it takes me 45 mins but the exact same pedi on another client might take 75 mins.
As you get to know your clients you will know how long to book out for them.
With new clients, always allow lots of extra time to ensure you do a great job un-rushed.

Hi Dazzlingnails,
You have a few choices to be made. I do a full hour pedicure, as a home salon for over 25 years and in the industry for 37 years I have no interest in rushing what my clients consider to be my premium treatment. Returning clients for a few decades says a lot.
Pedicures are 1 hour with regular polish or foot and lower leg massage instead of polish. ( I always allocate 1 hour in the diary)
Gel pedicures -I charge extra , but as i now use cuccio peel it pre base it is a very quick removal so minimal extra time if any is needed . ( I always allocate 1 hour 10 mins in the diary)
Gel toes are under 1 hour , but as I use the pre base I charge exactly the same for ped and gel toes.
Gel removal I would charge if they aren't having gels back on, but if it is part of a normal pedicure it would be a small additional cost. Sometimes I wouldn't charge , for instance if it's just the big toes that have some remaining gel on. use your own judgement there.
I hope that makes sense.
If you are un aware of Pre base peel it from cuccio it will not work with hybrid gels. It will break down the hybrid gels into a sticky mess , so not recommended, just use with any pure gel system is their advice.
Good luck in your new pedicure venture.

When doing gels do you soak feet? And when do you apply the gel polish?

I would wash feet very quickly before gel toes if they are not pleasant and the client has been at work all day, however it is usual to just sanitise feet first and then do your cuticle work and follow with gel polish. I do go overboard with dehydrator afterwards though to help drive out water if any remains.
Occasionally like yesterday I did a full gel pedicure on a client with very difficult nails. They are rock hard!!!
Her nails have to have a long soak as they cannot be cut easily if I don't. I soaked , did cuticle work and cut nails to her preferance and because she was having a second treatment her nails are allowed time to dry whilst I do her manicure.
Then gel polish.
The norm however is soak after gels, and foot treatments of your choice.
Good luck

Latest posts

Back