Pedicure on diabetic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paigetb

Reaction score
Hi, I had a client who booked in last week she wanted just a pedicure no polish just file etc
She came today and it turns out she’s diabetic and couldn’t get in her usually place she wanted her toe nails cutting which I refused and said I wasn’t allowed to cut them but she wanted something done so I said I could file them down as much as possible.
I filled them and she seemed happy they were really thick but obviously I can’t take the thickness away so I just took down the length. My file did nip her big toe it bled but not a lot and did stop. They weren’t really long so I just filled them to an average length not really short.
She seemed happy in the end and tipped me.
Would you have said this would be okay? She signed consent to having the treatment and everything.
I literally just Filled her toe nails down.
I was concerned with the nip on her big toe but it did stop bleeding

what’s your opinions?
If she comes back again I’m going to refuse to do them.

You should not have gone ahead with the treatment, check your training manual. It's not for us beauty therapists to treat a diabetic.

Type 1 is an absolute no no, but just occasionally they could have evolving type 2 diabetes and come without knowing they have it if that makes sense.
Don't be bullied or forced into something that you feel is wrong, be aware and protect yourself and your business and learn from the mistake.
Best of luck

I don't know what your Scope of Practice is with regard to treating diabetics so you'll need to check your insurance policy to see what you are covered for.
If her nails are thick she definitely needs a Podiatrist.
I would make sure that all your notes are written up in case she decides to take it further.

Latest posts

Back