Pedicure question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaznal

Reaction score
Opinions please guys. I passed my manicure course and do my shellac bring em back end of February. I haven't done a pedicure course because as a runner all of my friends have awful runners toe nails and I personally feel that proper cutting of toe nails should be done by a chiropodist, just my opinion. However a friend has asked me if I would shellac her toe nails if she cut them, so I would just do cuticle work scrub fresh and polish. Is this ok to offer without having a pedicure certificate?

If you're doing a friend a favour then I see no reason why not. Before I qualified I loved doing my friends' nails.

Going forward, if you are offering Shellac to the public, you should definitely look to do a pedicure qualification. It's a fantastic add on. Think about summer time when people have their toes on show. People generally won't go to one place (you) for hands then another for feet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may do but the cutting of toe nails correctly is something I am worried about. I have seen and felt the damage from incorrect cutting of toe nails. I was going to be mobile but now I have decided to set up at home so I can hopefully offer more services in the future.

On my shellac course i was told i was now qualified to do shellac on fingers and toes...i have a mani cert but not pedi

Thanks blossom.

I was taught to never cut and only file toe nails (unless obviously there really really long) because I was worried about cutting wrong too. Means that you are filing them straight and no chance of cutting too much off x

I also only file toe nails - often need a lower grit file.

I guess it depends on wether you want to do a full pedicure with scrubs and foot filing and massage etc, or just prep and shellac.

Thanks guys you have been a great help

I've got a few clients who go to a podiatrist first for all the hard work, as I dont offer major hard skin, corn removal, etc and then they come to me for the "nice" bit as they put it!

The only thing I'll say is that in most cases the podiatrists (different ones for each client) seem to take the hard skin down too low which makes walking painful for the clients for up to a week. When training I was told that you shouldn't take the skin right off as its the bodies protection or walking. Having said that they seem to do a good job on the nails, but that's not something that worries me if I have to do it.

Karaxxx

Iv recently done level 2 including pedicure.if it's your friend then that's grand but couldn't do a pedicure on public as you need to have be qualified in pedi and be insured.also in relation to calluses corns etc,the VRQ qualification doesn't allow the therapist to remove even hard skin but I know this still gets done in salons etc anyway.If your friend knows you don't do pedi's and still wants the treatment why not!

If you're doing shellac you would only do pep on the nails so not really a pedicure?

Latest posts

Back