Peeling / Flaking nails - Gel NNO

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlise

Reaction score
Hi,

A friend of mine has really peely / flaky nails. She used to have regular manicures with me and uses her SolarOil religiously, but in all honesty, it hasn't made much difference.

Since I started using gel, I thought that by protecting the nail with gel it would make a difference.

It seemed to work fine for a while and her nails started to grow. She has never had long nails because her nails peel and flake so much. When her nails became too long for her, we removed the gel and trimmed the nails down. The very edge of the free edge was peeling, but the rest of the nail was fine. I assumed that the peeling was the original peeling that had now grown out as the rest of the nail was fine.

Since then, her nails have become worse and worse. She is a avid gardener, but always wears gloves, she virtually never has her hands in water except obviously when she has a shower or washes her hands.

It seems that the seal is broken at the free edge and then the water is getting trapped between the gel and natural nail, causing lifting.

But the worrying thing is that her natural nails now seem worse than ever. I really feel bad about this and I know it's not the products fault, but I just don't' know what to tell her.

Any ideas what might be going on ?

Marlise

is she filing the free edge herself when they get a bit long....??

Just a guess, but you may not be sealing the free edge properly and the peeling and lifting is still there underneath anyway so is probably seperating from the nail plate as it was orginally, if that makes sense.

Hi,

I don't think she is filing her nails herself, but then you never know !

I make extra doubly sure that I seal the free edge, especially after it happened the first time.

Could it be because of all the gardening she's doing she is knocking her nails and thus breaking the seal ?

I know she is a bit of a picker, but that doesn't really explain the free edge problem and her natural nails peeling so badly all of a sudden .....

Marlise

When the nail is cut or filed it leaves the free edge frayed, hands get washed and the water seeps in through the free edge and sits between the layers which causes the peeling. This will continue to happen with your friend until the moisture is removed and the layers sealed back together and the free edge sealed to prevent anymore water seeping through hence breaking this vicious circle. I have had many clients with nails that peel and have successfully got them back to a healthy peel free nail with a Re:fusion treatment. The Re:fusion is a heat treatment which literally does all of the above and much more. Hths.
David.

When the nail is cut or filed it leaves the free edge frayed, hands get washed and the water seeps in through the free edge and sits between the layers which causes the peeling. This will continue to happen with your friend until the moisture is removed and the layers sealed back together and the free edge sealed to prevent anymore water seeping through hence breaking this vicious circle. I have had many clients with nails that peel and have successfully got them back to a healthy peel free nail with a Re:fusion treatment. The Re:fusion is a heat treatment which literally does all of the above and much more. Hths.
David.

Hi David,

I have heard of the Re:fusion system, but for a little single mobile therapist like myself, the system is far too expensive to invest in.

Thanks for the advise though.

Marlise

Latest posts

Back