Peeling natural nails .. which system?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayleysspraytan

Reaction score
Ok so I shellaced a client sunday and she has today sent me a pic her nail has chipped/peeled at the edge ... i am Shellac trained not had any previous problems ... flick over free edge etc etc

I am slightly nervous I have applied to thickly but if this is the case would all her nails be doing the same??

She has told me her natural nail peels and layers and always has done she has had her acrylics off for a couple of months and her nails seemed to be in a fairly good condition.

So my question is what could be the reason her nails layer and would an overlay before shellac be the way to go if so recommendations gel or acrylic???

In the meantime I have told her lashings of solar oil she is quite adamant this is her nails and not me ... which is nice!! But do you think I could have applied too thickly will try post the pic :eek:

GetAttachment.aspx
GetAttachment.aspx

I can't see your photo but if her nails split then unfortunately the shellac will come with it. The advice I can give to you is to keep her nails short and make sure she is using her solar oil.

I don't know about an overlay as I don't do these.

I'm trying to type this whilst watching Essex so forgive me if it doesn't make sense. Xxx

Ps if u applied too thickly I would think it would have wrinkled. X

Yeah your right that makes me feel a bit better!! Do you know what would cause her natural nail to layer/peel?? ... Thamnks for your reply ...Im saving essex for tomo!:D

Usually damage, lack of moisture, genetics, activity level. All of these can be factors. I find that doing three layers of color makes the peel lay down and they are way less likely to chip. Also solar oil DOES usually fix the problem over time if they use it twice a day or more and continue use. Oil is the glue that keeps the layers together. :) GL!

Thanks so much for your reply! What would you recommend then just solar oil or would you use an overlay first and if so gel or acrylic?
:confused:

This happened to me today. Small chip on one of my Shellac nails. When I removed them to change the colour I realised it was my nail that had split underneath not a chip in the Shellac. Not a lot you can do really if nails are prone to splitting. But my nails would have split more without the cosy thick coating of Shellac!!

I'm really confident that my nails will have a better chance of growth now.

Loving Shellac!!!!

2 of my mums nails are like this. We have found that keeping her nails short and applying solar oil really helps. She applies a drop at base of nail and also a drop under the free edge.

Shellac has actually helped her nails as most were peeling at the beginning but now it's just 2 on her right hand. Unfortunately I don't think we will ever resolve the problem on these 2 nails as she works in an office so is constantly typing, and these 2 fingers seem to be the ones she uses the most.

There are several things we have done to help her nails other than the solar oil. At the start I did base, colour x2, top coat x2 (obviously curing for right length of time between). This worked but we still wanted to experiment and see what else would work. We then tried base colour x2 mop or zillionaire then top coat. The extra layer seems to add strength.

I have other clients with the same problem but their nails are quite weak whereas my mums are actually quite strong. For my other clients doing the above didn't always work so I tried a fibreglass overlay. I applied the fibreglass then scrubbed the base coat into it and cured for 10secs then carried on with colours and top coat. Worked really well fingernail fixer has a video on Facebook about it do take a look.

Sorry I've gone on abit, I hope it helps. Xx

Usually overlays are not necessary. I tried this on a couple of clients and it didn't help. But three coats of color plus continued solar oil use has done the trick on 95% of my peeling clients. Most can grow a really nice free edge past the tip of their fingers now when originally they couldnt and their Shellac lasts the full two weeks if not longer without the tiniest chip.

im going to give this a try with the 3 coats, i have a hairdresser with really bad peeling nails on four of them. the others are fine, but the shellac does not last longer than 4 days on her on these nails. this will be great if this works. I was going to try them with the fibre glass layer or colour gel, but will give this a go 1st. There is hardly any free edge on these also which makes it harder to seal with the colour.

Hi guys sorry for the late reply!! Thanks so much for your advice will try everything!! :Love:

Latest posts

Back