People’s reaction to your change of career

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daphne84

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm changing my career from a very science and academic orientated job to retrain as a nail tech and I'm (unsurprisingly) encountering scathing attitudes from some people when I tell them what I am doing. Obviously there is always a risk when you do something like this but other people's attitudes hurt a little bit, and it contributing to my worries about how this is going to turn out. My plan is to be self employed so I can fit work around my family. I'm just wondering if other people have encountered these attitudes, how they dealt with it, and how it has worked out for you? Thanks.

Lots of us here have done the same. Luckily my husband has always encouraged my creative side so he was supportive when I decided to retrain in hairdressing after working in academia for many years.
No more frustrating committee meetings!

You’re not losing your knowledge and experience by retraining. You’re just adding to your portfolio.
Assuming that you probably only have one life, so you should do what’s best for you.

Best of luck!

Hi,

I'm changing my career from a very science and academic orientated job to retrain as a nail tech and I'm (unsurprisingly) encountering scathing attitudes from some people when I tell them what I am doing. Obviously there is always a risk when you do something like this but other people's attitudes hurt a little bit, and it contributing to my worries about how this is going to turn out. My plan is to be self employed so I can fit work around my family. I'm just wondering if other people have encountered these attitudes, how they dealt with it, and how it has worked out for you? Thanks.

Hi Daphne,

It’s understandably frustrating. Unfortunately, there’s this ‘stigma’ if you like, surrounding hair/beauty/nail industries. People just don’t realise that there’s science behind that and we learn human anatomy & physiology in depth but they know better as they have more ‘interesting’ jobs than the rest of us.

I say, go for it! People perception of beauty may be deep rooted but you got to listen to your heart and do what makes you happy and that’s what that counts!

I took the plunge to retrain after chatting to the make up artist who did my daughter-in-law's Wedding hair and make up. Her work was wonderful and I can't think how we got on to the subject but she told me that she'd retrained after being an architect. It's 7 years to qualify in architecture and she said that life is too short to be unhappy.

I did my nail training with a former bank manager. We laughed about the low status that beauty employment has. She's got her own academy now.

I had a very senior job before and my children and husband have been very supportive, but everyone else was /is astonished. I've taken a big cut in status and income. My mother was thinking out loud to my daughter "it's such a funny thing to do, I can't understand why she wants to be a a a - well I don't really know what she is" and my daughter looked her grandma straight in the eye and said firmly "business owner, you mean?" So that's how my mother refers to my mid life crisis. She works the phrase into every sentence. Hilariously, my brother (an Oxford history graduate) is also now a "business owner" he sells energy efficient heating systems and batteries to store solar energy, so hardly a white collar job. He didn't like working in finance - he predicted the financial crash and told us banks would fail - so he knew his business. He's much happier trying to be part of a more sustainable future for the planet.

I love this thread and this is totally the reason I’ve been debating a change for so long. It’s other people’s reaction. They just don’t get it. I also do wonder if there is an element of jealously - in that how many people actually plod on in what they are doing - and hate it!

I’m just arranging childcare to start my level three - then I’m off. I’m also talking to a lady who is running her own business who I studied level two with - surround yourself with those that inspire you - I reckon that’s the way forwards!

Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back