People asking for discounts-rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinknsparkly

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone else has people messaging them asking for discounts on services, people who aren't my clients message me saying what deal will you do me if I come in and have such and such done.

I am sick of repeating myself explaining that any offers are advertised and I can't just offer discounts just because they ask me.

We are busy and I honestly feel like they really think we need the business and will give them money off. I don't really do deals so no idea where these people get their ideas from that I will discount for them.

Had a lady today ask if she comes in at a quiet time can she have half price nails and tan!

Just had enough and can feel my sarcastic side wanting to come out when replying but have ignored so far and just say sorry no offers at moment

Say yes of course I can for half the price I can do your left hand's nails and tan your body's right side all for half the full price!!!

Say yes of course I can for half the price I can do your left hand's nails and tan your body's right side all for half the full price!!!

Have been tempted a few times to say something like this but trying to remain professional lol

I simply say that our prices are extremely reasonable so we don't offer any discounts. Having said that, I rarely, if ever, get asked.

Vic x

I had someone message me to ask if I'd do LVL lashes for £19 to match an offer she'd seen on Groupon. I told her the Groupon offer was a bargain and she should book in with that salon because I wouldn't ever match that offer.

I had someone message me on Friday asking if I had any Black Friday offers on. I said no. She replied "ok fine, it was worth a try. I need an appointment this afternoon" and seemed surprised when I said that I was fully booked until next Wednesday.

I guess if you don't ask, you don't get, but I wouldn't dream of phoning a restaurant and asking for a half price meal, it's funny how people think it's ok to do it to us though.

Too many round by me offering silly prices for hair services. Boils my piss.
So far not been asked to give a discount but they will have a cheek given how cheap prices are here anyway.

i think you need an email template so when you get something like this through you can just pull up the template and hit send. i would put something like;

hello so and so

thank you for contacting such and such

please find our price list on our website, a1salon.com along with a list of all treatments and the descriptions. for your convenience we have an offers section on our website which is updated regularly.

from time to time our prices may change and we always endeavour to notify our clients by putting this on our website and facebook page. we also notify clients of any special offers running on these media platforms.

to save you time we have also included an online booking system so you can be sure to secure your appointment in advance.

if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us so we can assist you further

kind regards
so and so.

that way your being polite but blunt in your prices are set but offers can be available for clients to view. if you have online booking then also include this so that clients can see your availability and it then make them think twice about being cheapskates. good luck x

I really like this idea...
We mainly deal with tourist trade in the summer and it can be really irritating when they want a reduction on the price and they're not Eden a regular client!
I will use this and just politely inform the customer that ' offers are regularly posted on website and Facebook page' Great Idea! X

and if needs be also post a FB status that is a general- please be advised that our price list can be found on our website (add link) along with any promotional offers etc etc so that way you are not targeting an individual but a collective, your purely sending a reminder about your prices and offers.

also if you have persistent offenders than i would add in to the template above something along the lines of;
'each company sets their own rates and these may vary from time to time'.
never give out how or why you set your rates at the rate you do, as a business that is for your knowledge only.

Last edited:
I have occasionally been asked for discount, and deals for quiet times. I simply say that I am extremely busy so I don't really have any quiet times. I also say that I have lots of very loyal clients who would be very upset if I was to offer discounts to new clients when they happily pay full price every 4 weeks and have done for years.

I've been asked by a regular for a free facial before because she had booked in for so many treatments, all of them having been on special offer anyway!

I also had a phone call last week from a new lady asking if I could do her a detox treatment with a free full body massage...uh no! Apparently the treatment wasn't long enough for her and she wanted AT LEAST an extra hour added on, and then when I said no she told me that she could do a body scrub at home so just wanted the massage for free...and then when I refused to budge she did the old "well here's my number if you decide to offer me something worthwhile". Well, thanks for ringing but nope!

This year in particular has bee really bad, with unknown's coming into the salon asking for discounts. I run a monthly special but from this month onwards they are stopping. I think having a specials poster is giving the wrong impression.

When I get chancers like that in I smile and hand them a price list and say 'these are our prices, if you would like to make an appointment please do give us a call'. All while smiling and walking them to the door.

I've been asked by a regular for a free facial before because she had booked in for so many treatments, all of them having been on special offer anyway!

I also had a phone call last week from a new lady asking if I could do her a detox treatment with a free full body massage...uh no! Apparently the treatment wasn't long enough for her and she wanted AT LEAST an extra hour added on, and then when I said no she told me that she could do a body scrub at home so just wanted the massage for free...and then when I refused to budge she did the old "well here's my number if you decide to offer me something worthwhile". Well, thanks for ringing but nope!

She actually said that?? Omfg! How rude! Good for you for not giving in!!
Think that's the way we are heading with all the idiots offering up silly pricing .

I don't know how they've got the nerve. Maybe it's just me? If I don't like the price. I just don't book/buy ... I just think it's such a cheek to imply someone's not worth what they're asking.

I don't know how they've got the nerve. Maybe it's just me? If I don't like the price. I just don't book/buy ... I just think it's such a cheek to imply someone's not worth what they're asking.

Totes!! Still can't believe the cheek of some people!

I'm currently doing acrylics for £15 because I've only qualified a few months and had someone mail me on facebook and ask if I had any offers on. Like what do u want them for free lol?

A salon I used to go to had the sentance Prices are as advertised, please do not ask for discounts as refusal may cause offence. at the end of their price list.

If new people ask me for discounts I tell them that yes I do give discounts and offers to my loyal and regular clients. They know where they stand then.

I had one last night, I've sprayed this lady once about a year ago and she has sent me a message asking for a tan on Friday coming and a bouncy blow dry on the Saturday. Asked how much for both when I told her she replied "why isn't there a deal on it?" I explained that I don't have a deal on at the moment plus I'd need to travel to her home on 2 separate occasions etc. the messages went back and forth and no conclusion has come as of yet but it really does upset me. Same as the comments I get about "this is a nice little job, you can fit it around things" I had one client asked recently if I had "a proper job as well " it's really upsetting, I know we should brush it off but I can't help let it play on my mind.

I get that all the time too "is this all you do" " don't you get bored" " I just laugh it off now.. They're just very ignorant [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back