People expecting something for nothing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chantelle<3

Reaction score
Why do people exspect thing for nothing? I've been doing hairdressing for over 7 years and people think they can ask you to do there hair and give me peanuts I'm sick of it I feel bad asking for money cos they look at you as if I'm Robbin them.the other day I did my partners uncles wife's hair she had full head foil cut and blow and 2 of her kids dry trims she gave me £30!!!! and thinks that's enuf then wonders why when she rings me I'm always busy itsnot just her nearly everyone is like that its annoying when i no how much i charge when im in the salon. it costs me a bomb in products for the colours and hair product as there not cheap xx I would like some advice what to say to them all please xx

For my family I just charge them for the products I use colour, foils, ect but that's my close family like my sister, mum, mother inlaw my friends I say oh I won't charge you for the cut n blowdry but obvs for colour there like oh yes that's cool little do they know my cut is priced in with the colour but as long as they think there getting something for Free like a perk for being family, friends then there happy! Try that! Lol hth x

Just say next time she calls "I'll be able to fit you in at x, it's £x" in a cheery tone x

Yeah just tell them next time they want fitted in and then they can decide whether thry want to book or not :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Set a friends and family price and stick to it, mine is 50% off what I normally charge, I had the pee taken a couple off time when I was newly qualified and I toughened up rather quick, be strong thats the price if you don't want to pay it hop on the end ,your free time is worth more :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

My friend is a Lettings agent, wonder if I can get a new flat for a bottle if wine!!

I have this problem. I often get asked "try and take as much off as possible" it's so irritating! They don't realise we can say no and they can go and get it done at a salon for 4x the amount we charge!

I'm new to this forum and I hope that my message goes through ok. This happens to me quite often :sad: and it can be so annoying. I think we do have to get strong, but I agree with lynn amber and setting a family and close friends price list is paramount.

I'm going to add this as I'm now livid with someone in the family. A few months back they asked for a cut on my day off, so I said of course and told her the price, today I've seen her ask on Facebook for a mobile hairdresser who's "not too expensive" . I live 2 streets away and quoted her £8 last time.
A member of the family said to text me on there and she had the cheek to say "no, he wants £8, bit much for family don't you think?"
Can't wait to see the mess she gets from the person she's booked with, a trainee who's Facebook pictures of work done are horrendous...
I'll wait for a call to fix it and quote her £50 for a fix it just to get my own back. X

I'm going to add this as I'm now livid with someone in the family. A few months back they asked for a cut on my day off, so I said of course and told her the price, today I've seen her ask on Facebook for a mobile hairdresser who's "not too expensive" . I live 2 streets away and quoted her £8 last time.
A member of the family said to text me on there and she had the cheek to say "no, he wants £8, bit much for family don't you think?"
Can't wait to see the mess she gets from the person she's booked with, a trainee who's Facebook pictures of work done are horrendous...
I'll wait for a call to fix it and quote her £50 for a fix it just to get my own back. X

What a cheek!

I would have a price list and give it out. Tell friends an family you'll do 20% discount for them (or whatever you decide)

Thats disgusting behaviour!!! Some people have no clue!!

Tomme id be fuming!
I'd be embarrassed to be so tight! And to the OP you'd think your auntie would give you extra! Perhaps you could leave a town salon pricelist kicking about for her to see..
Id send a message around family/friends you discount, announcing after calculating your earnings you were going to have to start charging correctly to cover the costs of your business, as you're not earning a wage! But not to worry shes still giving x% off for your favourite people :)
If they go elsewhere, who cares? Least you are not loosing out. And if they do they should be embarrassed! Hope u sort it. I have started standing up to people lately or they walk all over you unfortunately :-(
I think if they'd do it for me ill do it for them xx

People make u laugh it's not like I use crap products I use Wella and label m one client I did which was a friend of a friend she said I've forgot my money ill bring it round for you and she still hasn't brought it and had the cheek to ring me up 6 weeks later and ask me to do it again xx

Yeah i get quite shirty in a polite way with people who think my prices are too high. They definitely arent by anyones standards, let alone the fairly wealthy town i live in. I should be charging more but meh. I dont really get any cheek off friends anymore, ive explained that the only person who doesnt pay for their hair is my mum as she funded my education so thats the least I can do.
Just be like "Yeah cool if you dont want to pay my prices go and get a quote from somewhere else" because they know full well that they would most likely pay more to go to a salon, and that salon wouldnt even entertain the thought of bartering prices.

Tomme id be fuming!
I'd be embarrassed to be so tight! And to the OP you'd think your auntie would give you extra! Perhaps you could leave a town salon pricelist kicking about for her to see..
Id send a message around family/friends you discount, announcing after calculating your earnings you were going to have to start charging correctly to cover the costs of your business, as you're not earning a wage! But not to worry shes still giving x% off for your favourite people :)
If they go elsewhere, who cares? Least you are not loosing out. And if they do they should be embarrassed! Hope u sort it. I have started standing up to people lately or they walk all over you unfortunately :-(
I think if they'd do it for me ill do it for them xx

Lol it's not the first time I've had the situation. Like fairfifi said they see a full price and come back. A friend who was in financial difficulty was asking about removing a build up of tint and taking her lighter once, quoted £50 to cover product and a little time she thought it was too much, asked about the town for it done to come running back after realising it would be around £150 in most places with standards.
Family is great until it comes to the horrible matter of money.
I'm taking the advice of the person who said about price lists, but I'll make private family only lists to hand out x

My sister in law once asked me to do her hair. I was booked at work and she didnt pay me good ever so i said no. Then my mom went on and on about how dare i say no. My in law was driving from far to stay for a few days and my mom told me when i come home i should do it. I had an extremely busy day and came home late only having to do her hair late at night. She wanted full head of packed foils going from dark to light. All for nothing.

When I started out years ago, money was really tight, and although I practised on friends, when I qualified, I said - really sorry, I don't do mates rates. Since then, no dilemma, no debate. Here's the pricelist, and here's what I charge. My own mum paid full whack, because she had money and knew it was tight for us, so was glad to - she knew it was helping us out. People will take the p*** because you let them I'm afraid!

I took advice from someone when I started out which was to set prices and stick to it. I had many arguments with my dad over this because I charged family members. He used to take it upon himself to sort out who was going to pay what. Every now and again (7 years later) he still confirms with me that I'm not being too pricey.

I just remember the one occasion when I charged my uncle £15 to cut my two cousins hair (who were about 12 and 14 at the time) and I had done it at such a low rate because I had just started out. He went mental at me and insisted I either give it back or babysit for free one night. I'm glad I stood my ground and my step mum (who also does hairdressing) helped me out with telling him to back off lol.

When I started out years ago, money was really tight, and although I practised on friends, when I qualified, I said - really sorry, I don't do mates rates. Since then, no dilemma, no debate. Here's the pricelist, and here's what I charge. My own mum paid full whack, because she had money and knew it was tight for us, so was glad to - she knew it was helping us out. People will take the p*** because you let them I'm afraid!

True, give a inch and they will take a mile :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back