People insulting this chosen career

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebeccaavil

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have been reading this forum for years but only just joined!

I'm a Spa therapist and working for an agency, I qualified aged 30 (almost 4 years ago).
I have always wanted to work in this industry but I am finding SO many people that comment on my career, it's upsetting me and I don't know the best way to respond.

I have received comments such as: "Have you always wanted to be a beautician".
"Do you have any regrets?" "Maybe you should think of getting a better paid job".
"It's not good pay"

Has anyone else ever experienced this and if so; how do you deal with it?
I'm aware this industry isn't very well paid, but I love my job and couldnt imagine doing anything else.
I just wish people's reactions were different and took this career more seriously and treated it with a bit more respect.

Last edited:
Not experienced it myself but I'm of an age that I don't really care what people think and I'd be calling them out for being rude if they did 🤣

If its family and friends I would assume it comes from a place of love and concern that you are earning enough for your worth.

If it's clients or strangers I'd have a ready reply of something like 'well we'd all like to make more money I'm sure, but I'm not complaining and I love my work'.

I'm not so polite and would probably throw it back on them and say 'well if clients were prepared to pay for the true value of my skill and experience I'd be much wealthier' but I'm not known for my tact ;)

Yes, I love these come backs!😄

My family never say anything rude about my career, it's usually general people and one client who asked: "If I had always wanted to be a Beautician." 🙄 and "If I have any regrets".
I was giving her a relaxing massage and facial so was confused as to why she was even talking to me...

Yes, I love these come backs!😄

My family never say anything rude about my career, it's usually general people and one client who asked: "If I had always wanted to be a Beautician." 🙄 and "If I have any regrets".
I was giving her a relaxing massage and facial so was confused as to why she was even talking to me...

Perhaps she was nervous and trying to make conversation as was uncomfortable with the silence. Until I trained in manicures (I'm not beauty) I didn't realise you're not supposed to talk during a massage.

Often those types of comments come from a place of envy, many people are in jobs they have to do because financial restraints or because they fell in to it early and can't leave now. Beauty/hairdressing/nails are seen as something someone was able to 'choose' to do rather than 'had' to do.

I feel like it's from a place of envy too...I don't comment on other people's office type/administration jobs that, while being well paid- would never suit me!

Hopefully I will just learn to shake off other people's opinions!

Thank you for your advice!😊

Just to chip in my ten penneth after some great comments from above. Isn't our career one of the top ten jobs for job satisfaction ? Actually we are pretty much near to the number one spot aren't we?

Whilst this pandemic has made us (or was it me alone) feel that our job was utterly pointless. However if you quiz how many clients are really desperate for some TLC after our enforced closure, there will be your affirmation vote of appreciation.

You will get better in self belief and yes I have had comments like that but many years ago. My answer was simple and I said that " I always knew that I was a people person and I love to make others feel good about themselves."
Adding "I enjoy the interaction of providing such a privileged personal service and that I could never imagine myself in an office or other workplace situation. My job satisfaction is 100%. " That will silence the matter I'm sure.

Believe in yourself and enjoy your job, because I bet you that that misery doesn't enjoy theirs.
Also you are a Beauty Therapist , and not a Beautician. I have always hated that word and your skills and knowledge are vast so chin up and enjoy your job. Been in the same career for 40 years next year....couldn't think of another job that I would still have a passion for.

Good wishes to you fellow Beauty Therapist!

Thank you for this advice!
It has really helped me.
I didn't realise we were so highly rated in job satisfaction! I love it and even when I come home from work, I still want to learn about beauty, skin care and love doing treatments for my family and friends. Not a lot of people can say that about their job.

I’m currently in the transitional phase of leaving my well paid job in London as a project manager to retraining and setting up my own nail business and I was worried what people would think. Everyone (bar one ignorant person who said “you’re a clever girl, why do that?”) has been supportive and totally gets my reasons for doing it, especially when they see my work. I’d say ignore negative comments, remember why you do something. Money isn’t everything and certainly doesn’t bring you happiness (I know!) be happy in yourself and the joy you bring others xxxx

Wow...it's unbelievable isn't it? The way people view Beauty Therapist's really needs to change..I think (and hope) it will in the future.

I agree with all the replies here. The benefits of having a stress free job outweighs the benefits of a high paid, stressful job. (In my opinion anyway).

Good luck with your career change! I'm sure it will be an exciting journey 😊

Well let’s see. I was trained in nails by a former Nat West Bank Manager, I was trained in facials by a former critical care nurse, I was trained in massage by a clinical psychologist, and I used to be a Captain in the Army Reserves and a Commercial Insurance Broker.

There are lots of second career entrants into the beauty world.

I just had a client tell me she was a partner in a company with 6000 employees. She’s never had a facial or massage. I think I’m better off than her.

On the plus side, I notice that wages have gone up about 20% locally so there’s hope for us yet…

Hello everyone

I have been reading this forum for years but only just joined!

I'm a Spa therapist and working for an agency, I qualified aged 30 (almost 4 years ago).
I have always wanted to work in this industry but I am finding SO many people that comment on my career, it's upsetting me and I don't know the best way to respond.

I have received comments such as: "Have you always wanted to be a beautician".
"Do you have any regrets?" "Maybe you should think of getting a better paid job".
"It's not good pay"

Has anyone else ever experienced this and if so; how do you deal with it?
I'm aware this industry isn't very well paid, but I love my job and couldnt imagine doing anything else.
I just wish people's reactions were different and took this career more seriously and treated it with a bit more respect.
That's a bit rude!
Turn it around and ask them if they've had any regrets about doing their job. And tell them you're not just motivated by money when it comes to choosing a job, but by job satisfaction.
That might shut them up.

Let them think what they want. Does this reduce the frequency of their bookings or the amount they spend? Most likely not.
Money aspect is important as well as job satisfaction and it is possible to make it work on both levels. Let them think you don't have enough - that only means they have to tip you more. Do not wear nice (as in branded/expensive) clothes to work. ;)
In crazy 2020, I bought out my share for the flat in London (zone 4) off my ex so we would finally have a closure and I could stay here on my own. I refurbished the flat and replaced the entire kitchen in the 2nd lockdown. I also have a teenage daughter. My next goal is a buy to let somewhere by the sea, which will then become my retirement place and my current home will be my pension. Let them think that my choice was poor and that I am poor.
I had a reverse career change - went to work as an estate agent for 2 years as was fed up of working with flaky people. Well, long story short, I was never so poor and miserable in my life and 2 years on I returned to beauty with different attitude and mindset.

That's a bit rude!
Turn it around and ask them if they've had any regrets about doing their job. And tell them you're not just motivated by money when it comes to choosing a job, but by job satisfaction.
That might shut them up.

The woman that said this had to take retirement due to covid, so I'm guessing she was just very emotionally unfulfilled...

Don't let other people's misconceptions give you self doubt.

I thought of switching careers. I felt like I was smart and should have pursued something more academic. As well I was just starting my business and although I was getting by felt I ought to try to make more money. I was self conscious of my lack of success at the time and compared myself to my boyfriend at the time who was getting his master's and working towards becoming a partner at his job.

We spoke about it and I realized people who care about you want you to work where you are happy and will support you. Also that although starting out esthetics pay is poor as you build your clientele there's so much potential to make money. Being self employed I set my prices, I decide what to learn about, what services I want to promote and when I am going to work. There are many times I earn more per hour being a self employed esthetician than my employed professional friends.
Now I am really proud of the business I built and am happy I chose a career where I can be in control.
There will always be people who look down on others. One of my own sibling's once said 'who would have thought you'd only be an esthetician'. Funny thing was I was paying for our dinner out with money from my lowly job as he wasn't even working.

So be proud! If you are happy with your choice their words will just roll off you.

The only people that spoke to me like that were my parents and two clients. My parents are narcissists and am no contact these days. Its not the job, its THEM. They are the problem..
and the client was an absolute cow that was on benefits (which I have of course have no issue with but the way she acted and spoke to me she was acting like she owned the place and used the words ‘how did someone of your means end up with this house?’ all while she had a massive debt run up at the local gym I happened to work in part time). So if anyone is even slightly rude to me I au they are welcome to leave with half a job or I can finish and they can be pleasant.

The other client asked me to work late and suggested I needed to do it because Im poor, only a beauty therapist and ‘I dictate your hours.’ So I quoted £100 extra on the bill for extra hours and said I dictate the price of my time. Funnily enough she didnt treat me like scum after that. Those kind come to us because nobody else will have them.

People that speak to you like that need a kick up the arse or ditching. You have worth.

Latest posts

Back