People on bikes - opinions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Panoramic

Reaction score
You know what frustrates me? Bicycles. Actually, to be more specific, what really pisses me off are people who ride bicycles on the road. Before I started writing this rant, I was planning on discussing motorbike riders, but as I was driving home from a short trip, I managed to get stuck behind some idiot riding his push-bike on the highway. From 60mph down to approximately 10mph. In the following article, I’d like to discuss exactly why bicycle riders are the biggest *********** on our roads, and why they should stick to the footpath.

I mentioned at the beginning of the article about my run-in with the bicycle rider, and this, as far as I’m concerned, is one of the main reasons why they simply shouldn’t be allowed on the roads. When the average speed limit is 60mph, how often do you see a cyclist riding at the same speed as the motorists around them? If it is illegal for a motorists to drive significantly slower than the speed limit, why are cyclists given a free pass? The simple fact is, when a cyclist is riding slowly, they disturb the flow of traffic, they cause motorists to want to change lanes unnecessarily and in-turn, all they’re doing is creating a greater risk of an accident.

The last, and undoubtedly the most important reason why bicycles shouldn’t be allowed on the roads, is safety. The fact of the matter is, it just isn’t safe for a cyclist to be sharing a lane with a motor vehicle that is travelling 60mph or more. We hear time and time again about motorbike riders being involved in (near) fatal incidents when they collide with cars, and despite this, the RTA still finds it acceptable for people to ride bicycles (which not only go slower, but are even less safe if the rider is involved in an accident) on the road? I’m sorry, but when the average cyclist wears little to no protective clothing and when the average cyclist wears a helmet which only covers the top half of their head (as opposed motorbike helmets which cover their whole head), who in their right mind would find this safe? If a cyclist gets into an accident with a car going even 40mph they’re ******.

There are those people who will then argue that if cyclists rode on the footpath, they’d be a danger to pedestrians. Well, let’s weigh this up shall we? What’s worse – a cyclist hitting a pedestrian going 10mph or a car hitting a cyclist going 60mph? The pedestrian might have a broken arm/leg, perhaps even some scratching, what does the cyclist face in the second scenario? All the injuries of the pedestrian in the first case, with the added possibly of death! If there are too many pedestrians on the footpath then the cyclist could just slow down – worst case scenario, he rides a little slower for a few metres, or god forbid, he has to get off and walk next to his bike for a brief moment .

To me, this sounds a lot less inconvenient that having a whole line of cars slow down, which then causes traffic and changing lanes (now affecting the flow of traffic in the other lane) because some inconsiderate ****** was either too cheap to purchase a car or wanted to ‘save the earth’ on his commute to work.

In my opinion, the only place when riding a bike on the road would be feasible is in the CBD during peak-hour traffic, when cars are moving slow to begin with – but even then, the fact still stands, it’s just too dangerous. We can’t be making exceptions, either get them off all the roads or let them ride on each one. We all know the latter isn’t happening though!

Cyclists are the idiots of the road for so many reasons. They don’t pay for registration, so they reap all the benefits of using the roads without having to pay for them. They slow down traffic to a crawl as motorists focus on not hitting them but at the same time trying to get around them. And they pedal on their ignorant merry way, in those stupid lycra suits, oblivious to the problems and frustrations they are causing behind them.

If the government wants cyclists on the roads so badly, then they should have dedicated bike lanes. This way, they aren’t put at risk of being hit or run-over, and motorists aren’t inconvenienced or forced into unnecessary evasive manoeuvres. Until then, either invest in a car, catch public transport or walk like everyone else. As far as I’m**concerned, if it doesn’t have a motor then it doesn’t belong on the roads – you can save the planet some other way.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all true.
They huff and puff up the huge hills where I live at crawling speed and a line of cars builds up behind. You can't overtake due to the bends.
I hate them, I want to drive safely but I don't want to crawl at 5mph. If I knock one off it's my fault.
If they do something wrong and I point it out they give you the finger.
They're building a velodrome near me, go there and pedal till your hearts content but please get off the roads especially at rush hour!

It annoys me on a 60 mph road, especially when there are 2 riding side by side!

That & tractors... I regularly drive down country roads that are a 60 speed limit (I know its a limit not the speed you must do) but still, when you can drive faster then you get stuck behind these.

Although there is no foot path on these roads for cyclists to use.

It would be less of an inconvenience if cyclists weren't allowed on national speed limit roads, just like they aren't allowed on motorways.

Just my opinion :)

Xx

Last Friday (13th) a books on his bike literally pulled across the road as I was overtaking him and as a result clipped the back off my car and came off!

I was absoloutly horrified! I got out and he was sat up but had a nasty gash on his arm. I asked if he hasn't seen me, he said that he had but thought he had time to get across, thank god I was only doing 30!

He wouldn't exchange details, wouldn't accept a lift anywhere,didn't want police of ambulance. He was full of apologies, got up and rode away!

Luckily a witness had stopped and was kind enough to give me his details in case anything came of it, he was lovely (and very gorgeous - if only I had been in a better frame of mind, and not married!) And reassured me that there was nothing I could of done to prevent it, and had I not have reacted so quickly and swung further out, the cyclist would have probably ended up over my bonnet.

But it left me very shaken, I reported it to the police (to cover myself) and had to give a statement. They have also spoken to my witness, gave me an incident number and told me not to worry, nothing will come of it as the cyclist obviously new he was in the wrong!

Easier said than done though! It has left me overly cautious of cyclist, I think they expect drivers to give way/read their minds etc, and do not always follow the highway code!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was stuck behind a cyclist the other day i was cursing him under my breath went to overtake him and it was my dad! Oops. Lol. I think theyre should be bike lanes everywhere

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using SalonGeek mobile app

I couldn't agree more. I have to overtake a minimum of 25 cyclists every Sunday on the way to work. I've counted them! It makes my blood boil!

Really surprised no one has moaned about this post yet haha. Looks like we all agree :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Really surprised no one has moaned about this post yet haha. Looks like we all agree :)

Give em time lol
Although the argument is compelling.
Won't make a blind bit of difference, they think they own the road.

Am i allowed to say sometimes id like to run them over lol i worked out of town a few years ago had to drive down a 60 mph country road on a saturday morning there where loads of cyclists

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

Totally agree!!!!

Not all cyclists are bad, but the majority I find are. They think they rule the road and I'm sure they get a thrill out of slowing cars down!

It's a lot of country roads near me and so aren't any footpaths for them to ride on. But as someone else said I'm constantly following at 5mph (if that) up a hill with lots of bends and a trail if cars behind me. Or the other day a group of 4 all next to one another. They wouldn't move in front of each other so I could overtake (it was a country lane so couldn't just go on the other side) so I got right up their bum and still they just glared at me.

If we're moaning about things on the road though can I mention horses? They annoy me just as much as cyclists! Both should be banned from the road in my opinion.

Didn't you know that you get 10 points if you hit a cyclist, school kid or pedestrian wearing headphones crossing the road without looking if you're in my car. We have so much fun.

Totally agree!!!!

Not all cyclists are bad, but the majority I find are. They think they rule the road and I'm sure they get a thrill out of slowing cars down!

It's a lot of country roads near me and so aren't any footpaths for them to ride on. But as someone else said I'm constantly following at 5mph (if that) up a hill with lots of bends and a trail if cars behind me. Or the other day a group of 4 all next to one another. They wouldn't move in front of each other so I could overtake (it was a country lane so couldn't just go on the other side) so I got right up their bum and still they just glared at me.

If we're moaning about things on the road though can I mention horses? They annoy me just as much as cyclists! Both should be banned from the road in my opinion.

I have horses and I thing your quite wrong about that. At least we wear the correct gear and are insured.

Why don't they just build tracks and they can cycle round them all day? I despise them.

Surely you jest?!😄

Nothing like a bit of name calling, generalisation and sweeping statements to finish off a sunny Friday afternoon!

Lol 10 points also i didnt know you had to be insured for horses you learn something new each day

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ahhghh don't get me started on the Lycra-clad d**k heads cycling past our house four-by-four having loud shouty conversations with each other. My blood boils.

We have the horse riders too who are just plain snooty.

Its a nightmare when your a pedestrian... where I live there is a lane on the path for them.... (the main road has 7 lanes and "no space" for a cycle lane..??) and they are so rude! when your walking on the FOOTpath... the one your supposed to walk on (!), the bikes are supposed to stay on the outside lane, but they just run you over, and tell you to, and I quote.. "move the f out of the way" :grr:

there was a hour long program on tv last week about "the war" between cycles and drivers on "road rage Britain" ... very funny actually!

That & tractors... I regularly drive down country roads that are a 60 speed limit (I know its a limit not the speed you must do) but still, when you can drive faster then you get stuck behind these.

Xx

They are annoying, I know, but these are working people with a job to do, no doubt frustrated themselves at how slowly they are allowed to trundle along when they too are time pressured and, let's not forget, working to feed us all.

The maximum they can go is 40mph but in order to do that they have to have certain criteria, see below, otherwise it's just 20mph by law.

The following is an excerpt from a government site

The maximum speed limit for conventional tractors with or without a trailer is
currently 40mph, as set out in the Road Traffic Regulation Act2
. However, the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 19863 (the “C&U Regs”) set out certain technical requirements for tractors and requires those that are driven above 20mph to meet certain requirements, including the fitment of brakes meeting truck standards, including Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). Most tractors do not comply with these requirements so legally can only be used at speeds up to and including 20mph.

They KNOW they are a pain in the proverbial and hoots, two fingers and other signals are unhelpful to say the least and pretty offensive. But they get this pretty frequently. (No steph not meaning you lol)

I know I've gone off topic slighty, sorry guys x

Horses!
How come you can get fined £1000 for a little bit of dog poo not picked up but they leave huge piles of stinky dung everywhere and it's ok??
Especially in my village?

They are annoying, I know, but these are working people with a job to do, no doubt frustrated themselves at how slowly they are allowed to trundle along when they too are time pressured and, let's not forget, working to feed us all.

The maximum they can go is 40mph but in order to do that they have to have certain criteria, see below, otherwise it's just 20mph by law.

The following is an excerpt from a government site

The maximum speed limit for conventional tractors with or without a trailer is
currently 40mph, as set out in the Road Traffic Regulation Act2
. However, the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 19863 (the “C&U Regs”) set out certain technical requirements for tractors and requires those that are driven above 20mph to meet certain requirements, including the fitment of brakes meeting truck standards, including Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). Most tractors do not comply with these requirements so legally can only be used at speeds up to and including 20mph.

They KNOW they are a pain in the proverbial and hoots, two fingers and other signals are unhelpful to say the least and pretty offensive. But they get this pretty frequently. (No steph not meaning you lol)

I know I've gone off topic slighty, sorry guys x

Lol, I know. I don't beep, if someone did & I was driving a tractor Id probably go slower. Ha.

I just think pull over a little & let me over take & carry on my way & not be stuck for miles behind you. Thats what Id do.

Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back