Perfect white silver hair tones - advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hair help!

Reaction score
Hello,
Wondering if I could have some recommendations on toners. I’ve not had a great deal of experience using them. I’m a qualified hairdresser. I’ve never used the 10 series to tone (Wella) I know you use pastel developer.

My friend would like white hair with a bit of silver. She doesn’t want grey. She has bleached hair with areas that are pure white and areas that are still yellow. I’ll include a photo. I did a small test section on an area with white and yellow hair. I’ve been wanting to try 9/81 for ages. So mixed 9/81 KP with 10/1 KP with 1.9% I took it off after a couple of minutes as I could see it was very purple looking. Once washed out the yellow areas looked better and the white areas were purple. Not what we were after. Now I’m worried what ever toner I put on will sort out the yellow areas and make the white areas look horrid. Any advice using Wella products please?

I can’t seem to attach a photo

Hello,
Wondering if I could have some recommendations on toners. I’ve not had a great deal of experience using them. I’m a qualified hairdresser. I’ve never used the 10 series to tone (Wella) I know you use pastel developer.

My friend would like white hair with a bit of silver. She doesn’t want grey. She has bleached hair with areas that are pure white and areas that are still yellow. I’ll include a photo. I did a small test section on an area with white and yellow hair. I’ve been wanting to try 9/81 for ages. So mixed 9/81 KP with 10/1 KP with 1.9% I took it off after a couple of minutes as I could see it was very purple looking. Once washed out the yellow areas looked better and the white areas were purple. Not what we were after. Now I’m worried what ever toner I put on will sort out the yellow areas and make the white areas look horrid. Any advice using Wella products please?
If this is the case I'd either try and go through it and lighten the yellow pieces so that you're starting with a more even base to tone with. Or you may find that a lighter toner will be better. I always used 10/16 to clean up blondes. It's the cleanest toner wella do. By going lighter, it will soften the yellow hair (providing its not canary) and what it won't do is deepen the whiter hair too much. Also try a porosity equaliser before toning.

If this is the case I'd either try and go through it and lighten the yellow pieces so that you're starting with a more even base to tone with. Or you may find that a lighter toner will be better. I always used 10/16 to clean up blondes. It's the cleanest toner wella do. By going lighter, it will soften the yellow hair (providing its not canary) and what it won't do is deepen the whiter hair too much. Also try a porosity equaliser before toning.

Thanks for the reply Ronray.
So could I get away with using a 10/16 all over to clean it up and then use 10/81 afterwards? After checking the the porosity. I don’t think I’d like to bleach her hair anymore than she has already.

Thanks for the reply Ronray.
So could I get away with using a 10/16 all over to clean it up and then use 10/81 afterwards? After checking the the porosity. I don’t think I’d like to bleach her hair anymore than she has already.
I wouldbt use the 10/86 if you don't want it to have a silver blue tone. Even though it's a 10 I find it gives a lot of tone.
If you like the 10/86 you could add it to 10/0 so it's not so strong in colour.

Latest posts

Back