Perfectionist? are you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
Ok the title says it but there are so many of us that strive for perfection.
I see any flaw. Somethings not quite right.. I do it again.
Clients may well look at me and say...You are not happy with it??? WHY???
Not always can I explain..in client terms.. but there could be something, even very small that could be better.
Do we ever get over this or is this something we all have to learn to live with?
Are we the worst critique you could imagine on our own nails?
If so...is this a bad thing?
I tend to think it's a good thing..but do YOU ever feel this way?

I'm a nightmare for perfection Judy... and yes, I show it!!!

I think striving for perfection is a good thing because it tells us where our flaws are and we can try to better ourselves because of it, on the other hand it can also be a bugbear and a complete PITA because we're NEVER HAPPY with our work which can have a negative effect in the long run.

I do my best, sometimes my best isn't good enough and I try to correct it, but it's not always possible and on closer inspection of said nails if the clients happy then I have to MAKE MYSELF happy with the end result, although in my heart of hearts I might not always be 100% happy.

Hope that made sense lol

When I was at college many, many moons ago, my old tutor used to say (when I complained that I was a perfectionist) that people like me would always be disappointed. Maybe she was right? Dunno, but it still doesn't stop me! :irked:

...yes Judy,nothing but perfection,and my poor husband puts up with the tantrums when i relay to him all my woes like..."i could do better":rolleyes:

The thing is,i now relise thet with time things will fall into place,and patience is definetely a virtue...

I like the cuticles absolutely tidy,i like the colour absolutely flawless on the nail..i like the nail shape to match perfect with each other...the list goes on:lol::green:

I'm a nightmare for perfection Judy... and yes, I show it!!!

I think striving for perfection is a good thing because it tells us where our flaws are and we can try to better ourselves because of it, on the other hand it can also be a bugbear and a complete PITA because we're NEVER HAPPY with our work which can have a negative effect in the long run.

I do my best, sometimes my best isn't good enough and I try to correct it, but it's not always possible and on closer inspection of said nails if the clients happy then I have to MAKE MYSELF happy with the end result, although in my heart of hearts I might not always be 100% happy.

Hope that made sense lol

Yes it makes perfect sense but I'm at a stage where I get people saying OMG etc. and I don't cope well with flattery..sounds a bit daft I suppose but I STILL see the faults and feel like saying...yeah...great.. but look at the ring finger etc.
I just see the faults..YES I know theres loads of good stuff but I see faults..I know I'm picky but if I see the faults then so can someone else.
I think I may possibly be having a nail nervous breakdown..:lol:

I suppose I am a perfectionist although I didn't really think of it like that until recently, when clients have recommended a friend and the friend sits there and says "Sheila says you're a perfectionist" and then I think "OMG, hope I can live up to this now lol!

I've always just thought that something is either done properly or not.

Sandi you're right it does mean that you are too overly critical of your own work (I am much more forgiving with other people's work) but overall I think it is a Good Thing.

but I see faults..I know I'm picky but if I see the faults then so can someone else.
The only other person (apart from Joanna Public who usually doesn't know much about enhancements) who sees faults with our nails are other experienced techs.

It took me a long time to realise this, but now I do I can let my little imperfections go a bit easier than I could previously :hug:

oh you've hit the nail right on the head for me judy. :irked:
My constant need for perfection in nails is causing me serious problems, I CAN NOT leave anything alone, I can always see the need to do more. At college I'm told I'm to much of a perfectionist but I can't help it!
Even clients at home (bless the few I have for putting up with me) will say "that looks fine so what are you filing?"
I wouldn't mind but the end result IS far from perfect! (that's why I won't upload pics!)
AAARRGG! I finished my CND foundation nearly 2 years ago but the time it takes me to complete a full set has hardly come down, *sigh*
sorry to rant there, but you did ask :lol:. x

My name is Emma, and I am a nail perfectionist :irked:

It drives me mad sometimes, but i do also think it is a good thing,
I;m not a perfectionist in any other area, just nails,

I sometimes wish I could see my sets as clients see them, but I can't and I dount I ever will,:rolleyes:

I strive to create the perfect set..and I always will,
I do actually give myself a headache thinking as I am doing a set of nails ...

The only other person (apart from Joanna Public who usually doesn't know much about enhancements) who sees faults with our nails are other experienced techs.

It took me a long time to realise this, but now I do I can let my little imperfections go a bit easier than I could previously :hug:
Yes I am always striving for perfection, seeing fault and nitty gritty imperfections to correct, but in a salon situation, sometimes you just have to let it go!

Im a perfectionist also. I cant let anything go, if the house isnt quite perfect I cant sit and watch tv, I gotta get up and clean. Im sure I will be the same with my nails!

Ok the title says it but there are so many of us that strive for perfection.
I see any flaw. Somethings not quite right.. I do it again.
Clients may well look at me and say...You are not happy with it??? WHY???
Not always can I explain..in client terms.. but there could be something, even very small that could be better.
Do we ever get over this or is this something we all have to learn to live with?
Are we the worst critique you could imagine on our own nails?
If so...is this a bad thing?
I tend to think it's a good thing..but do YOU ever feel this way?
This is what sets you apart from the run of the mill nail professional- you see your flaws and are constantly trying to improve on them. The client sees that you do a good job, they return because they know quality and even when you are having an off day the "perfectionist" side takes over and you provide a quality service. The nail enhancements and services given by the perfectionist people on a bad day are generally better than those who don't really care on a good day.

Is it hard to stop fiddling when you just know they could be better- of course, that's what vodka is for:lol: just kidding... I'm still working on accepting it almost 20 years later. There is always room for improvement, the day I'm perfect I'm probably dead:eek:

perfection is my middle name! I imagine it would be the same for most tech's as well, but i tell my self at the end of the day we cant always be perfect!

Count me in too - perfectionist about nails and most other things too. I see this as a bit of a character flaw for me - sometimes I get so obsessed with doing things 'perfectly' that the thought of even starting exhausts me. I'm a total all or nothing person, which I hate.

With nails, I just wish I could take more time to get things just right. I'm slow to begin with and I feel like clients just want to get on their way!

I'm never more critical than when I've done a set on myself....... Maybe it's because I see them all the time, and an examine them in minute detail on an on-going basis.......!

I'm never more critical than when I've done a set on myself....... Maybe it's because I see them all the time, and an examine them in minute detail on an on-going basis.......!
Thats me too, in fact I'm on my second set this week:eek:
I wasn't really in the mood to do my rebalace on Monday and made a mess of them. Eveybody else said they were nice but I could see all the faults.
By Wednesday I had had enough............

I'm the same, which is probably why I'm always disappointed in my work. I always think the smiles could be a little crisper, the free edge could be a little thinner, the lines of light on a couple of nails aren't ram rod straight. Only stuff a nail tech would notice.

The client is over the moon but I come away thinking I'm rubbish!:irked: If that's the case why do they re-book! May have to have a little think about this.:green:

I am my own worst enemy (and critic), I'd love to be perfect all the time (but time prevents me) as i have to earn money.

Time is my worst enemy, I can knock out a prize winning comp set of sculptures (but in the salon it takes me twice as long), which doesn't make it financially viable (also doesn't make sense). I judge myself quite critically on everything I do (and it's getting worse). The appreciation level I feel from clients is amazing ..... BUT, then there's those clients that I work my ass off to make their nails look great, then they wait until they break one or two before those dumb-asses realise they need a fill (4-5 weeks later). I can't stand skinflint clients that sing my praises (yet wait till they are almost self destructing before they come back). With these clients I put the brakes on my real talents and give em enough to be impressed (but not truly my best).

I am learning to dish out my "SPECIAL" stuff for the more appreciative clients.
Don't get me wrong, everyone gets great nails, but I always keep something in reserve for those clients that show their obsession with their nails is equal to mine.

I once had a brilliant career as a chef .... when I felt my talents weren't appreciated (I gave it all away). I don't want this to happen with fingernails (20 years and still going strong) I give 80% on most clients (which is still about 50% above anything/anyone around me.

But there's nuthin quite like the buzz of giving 100% to those clients that truly (and I mean truly) appreciate what I am capable of.

I did a client today (recommended through this site Via USA) I spent 2 hours on her (a rarity for me) .... impressed her ass off (she had 5 nails missing and lifting on all the rest), she was gob smacked with the results (but if she waits too long to come back) I'm gonna wind back my talents, it's just my way of rewarding those that are truly appreciative of what I do.

So YES, i'm a critic and my worst critique (which makes me a perfectionist), but give my talents according to appreciation (initially I give my all) but that level is adjusted according to obvious appreciation.

Am I raving?

Whadya reckon????

Me too - wears me out sometimes.

I give too much.

I couldnt possibly send a pic of my work in - it just wouldnt be good enough (for me) .

I hate it when Im poorly - because I cant do it as well as when Im in full health.

My best will never be good enough.

Thanks for that - I feel better already!!!

i am a virgo......perfectionist and virgo goes hand in hand........yes i am a perfectionist in everything from nails, hair cleaning........etc...to the point i wear myself out........i am so perfect.................not pmsl....:lol

Latest posts

Back