Performing massage whilst pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaL

Reaction score
Hi, I’m currently 24 weeks pregnant. I do most beauty treatments at the salon I work at, and do the odd massage, perhaps one or two max per day, some days none. I’ve felt over the past week or two my pressure isn’t quite as firm and I’m just generally finding it harder to perform good massages.

I have a male client booked in tomorrow and I’m really dreading it. I just don’t feel my pressure is going to be firm enough and equally don’t want to strain and push myself further than I can manage. It’s a bit late now but what would you do in this situation? I was going to continue doing massage another couple of weeks but maybe it’s time to stop? Would love to know how other therapists managed whilst pregnant?

Thanks in advance!

As you know our pressure comes from our body weight, so your growing belly will be getting in the way of the table soon if its not already so will need an adjustment in terms of risk and allowing you to continue your job in a safe way.

Check the height of your table, as it *should* be low so you can lean squat under it with your arms over, however I do not do this as I am unable to squat properly with my hip problems. I rely on my elbows and when I really need it I stand on a little stool for a lean over above the table here and there.

I have my table set at a height as though I am comfortably chopping veg without bending down (as high as it goes). Have someone be at the ready to adjust it so you can feel around with what works.

You don’t have to continue doing them if they are not feeling safe to with your pregnancy. But if its a lack of energy or just feeling like you cant do that pressure, let me assure you there is plenty to try in terms of a change of techniques.

Explain to the client today you are not able to go as firm as you usually would if you want to, however you have plenty of tricks up your sleeve to work on knots and pain (we all know that they are easier to work on when really well warmed up and client is relaxed with long slow movements, and lymph is stimulated with very light pressure anyway eg if they have DOMs. Very common for client to just say firm as they think it will help but in reality what they need could be the total
Opposite). Use your training to explain ways you can help with other movements.

I like to use my stool to stand over and lean in places to get any little cracks first as that is usually a big relief in itself and feels like a lot of pressure when its not. Elbows from side on is usually quite easy for me too without any leaning over or facing the client at all. Again forearms from side on rather than facing.

Obviously you will need to do your own risk assessment with the height and the safety of using a stool (yours and babies safety comes first no grip and a trip hazard = not worth it).

Another way I do firm pressure is to be at their head end, and do almost like a down dog sort of position (but not low only to hands height of couch then push the shoulders. This way with my arms outstretched instead of close I get the full weight of my upper body on their shoulders, and then slide down with that weight down the back. Same with fists, and with gliding down shoulders both palsm and fists. Making it really slow with feel a lot firmer too.

And of course hands, we usually avoid them as of pressure on our own joints, but kneading and rolling muscles can be quite easy on our hands and easy to get a lot of pressure.

Hope this helps!

My strength disappeared when I was pregnant, strange isn't it! But as it's my most popular treatment and I'm self employed, I would do up to 5 massages per day, so just did what I felt was right for my body. I found that none of my regulars questioned it, and I stopped asking new clients if the pressure was deep enough, because I already knew I couldn't go deeper. I think clients are a lot more understanding when you're pregnant. I wouldn't mention pressure and neither would they. If anything I think they were impressed that I could massage at all ...because I had a HUGE bump and permanently looked exhausted.
I ditched 60 and 90 minute massages when I was 30 weeks pregnant. And stopped massaging altogether at 36 weeks xxx

Before booking a client while pregnant it’s best to inform them about the fact that you won’t be able to apply as much pressure. Some clients like firm massages, but you shouldn’t push yourself too hard. Personally, soft massages are better. I can’t handle to much pressure and I wouldn’t mind going to a massage therapist that works more gentle. But each client has different needs. When my boyfriend and I decided to try an Erotic massage London for couples, we realized how different our preferences are. We both enjoyed the sensual exploration of our bodies, but my boyfriend needed more pressure for his knots while I wanted to be touched softly. Another thing I enjoyed more than him is being lathered in essential oils, which made my skin feel fresh after.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back