Perm advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joz99

Reaction score
Hello! Had phone call from client today who has medium thickness hair with a very slight kink not enough to scrunch and get a curl that holds, she said that she loves her hair when she curls it with tongs loosely but just doesn't have the time, is there a light perm that would achieve the same result, she doesn't want it 'really curly'. I've been honest and said I'm out of touch with regards to perming (it's my least favourite thing to do) and I don't often get requests for it! Think I've done 3 spiral perms and a couple of standard perms in last 3 years! I'm also worried that even a lighter perm would give too much curl...how big can u go with the rods/rollers! Any update info on products available or suggestions...I've said il find out for her (also offered a lesson in curling with ghds as bit quicker than tongs lol) 😜

Hello! Had phone call from client today who has medium thickness hair with a very slight kink not enough to scrunch and get a curl that holds, she said that she loves her hair when she curls it with tongs loosely but just doesn't have the time, is there a light perm that would achieve the same result, she doesn't want it 'really curly'. I've been honest and said I'm out of touch with regards to perming (it's my least favourite thing to do) and I don't often get requests for it! Think I've done 3 spiral perms and a couple of standard perms in last 3 years! I'm also worried that even a lighter perm would give too much curl...how big can u go with the rods/rollers! Any update info on products available or suggestions...I've said il find out for her (also offered a lesson in curling with ghds as bit quicker than tongs lol) 😜

Depends how long her hair is,but if you use the grey and black rollers you can achieve a loose curl that Won't need much Maintance, just some curl cream and she is done.

Also Wells do Wave and Curl perms. But in not that clues up on them as they're new in our salon. But if she wants less of a curl maybe try the wave it x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Depends how long her hair is,but if you use the grey and black rollers you can achieve a loose curl that Won't need much Maintance, just some curl cream and she is done.

Also Wells do Wave and Curl perms. But in not that clues up on them as they're new in our salon. But if she wants less of a curl maybe try the wave it x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for your reply, her hair sits just below her shoulders, did think of those larger rollers but part of me thinks that it's still going to be too tighter curl for her, I've asked her to send me pics of how curly her hair goes when she rings it herself 😊 give me better idea of image she has in her mind x will have a look at the wella perms thanks again x

Thanks for your reply, her hair sits just below her shoulders, did think of those larger rollers but part of me thinks that it's still going to be too tighter curl for her, I've asked her to send me pics of how curly her hair goes when she rings it herself 😊 give me better idea of image she has in her mind x will have a look at the wella perms thanks again x

It shouldn't be too curly, if that's too curly for her I wouldn't perm it, we had a client at the college who came in for a perm then made UA blow dry it straight, crazy people!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's a dodgy area because it's very hard to get the polished look of tonged/wanded curls or waves from a perm. I did this for a friend on grey and black rollers. I thought she knew where I was coming from because I kept saying about using product etc but I watched her go around for 6 months with a frizzy Afro complaining she had to wet it everyday and couldn't brush it! This coming from a typical 90's girl who would have spent most of her childhood with a perm and a bottle of mousse in it! As did we all! Honestly it wasn't worth the hassle

It shouldn't be too curly, if that's too curly for her I wouldn't perm it, we had a client at the college who came in for a perm then made UA blow dry it straight, crazy people!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

What? Lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I've actually ducked out of this one lol I've told her to go to a salon because I personally think her vision of what she wants won't b what she will get with a perm and I can't being doing with the stress of it! Also not super confident when comes to perming coz don't do much of it and takes me far too long to wind, don't mind the standard short perm but long hair not so much give me a curling wand or ghds any day! Lol I've tried to explain I think she's better off just using the tongs, and that u still have to do something with hair even if permed to get smooth looking waves, think biggest reason for it for her is to save time...I've advised her to take pics with her of look she wants and that I'm happy to continue to colour and cut it after if she goes ahead...xx

It's a dodgy area because it's very hard to get the polished look of tonged/wanded curls or waves from a perm. I did this for a friend on grey and black rollers. I thought she knew where I was coming from because I kept saying about using product etc but I watched her go around for 6 months with a frizzy Afro complaining she had to wet it everyday and couldn't brush it! This coming from a typical 90's girl who would have spent most of her childhood with a perm and a bottle of mousse in it! As did we all! Honestly it wasn't worth the hassle

I think this is situation I would b in if I did it! X

I love perms........but...you will NEVER get the same look with a perm as you do with a heated appliance!

Latest posts

Back