Perm is coming back!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nora525

Reaction score
I am sure that all of us still remember those hilarious curly perms form 80's, and now the curls are coming back. However todays perm is completely different from those old good days and I was wondering, what have you used to create a curl instead of traditional perm rod? I have seen a dvd they used foil, cotton rod, bendy wands..... any other ideas?

LOL Tampons..seen it done on stage at a major hairshow.

Screwed up tubes of colour. They actually created an interesting toussled curl.

yyyeeeahhhhh i,m in the fashion...

Never been one of the first but this time I am:):):)

I always have perms cos I had myself with straight hair... Curly and wild is my hair now..

Perming is coming back?

Don't they say that every year?! LOL

yeah they do Sweetcorn but it takes a few years for everyone to start believing it.
Acutally, I have been gradually doing more and more perms and getting more and more questions about doing a perm on the client. Time will tell.

i love perming think its great and very creative wish it would come back big time.

I like perming too and there are only 2 of us in my salon that do them. In the last 8 years so many Stylists coming out of school, don't choose to offer perms. :eek: :green: This will be great for those of us who do. And clients will have to find Stylists that are great at Perms, because there are definitely fewer of us in my area.

ISO used to make a Neutralizer free perm which was AWESOME...called NEO. Gosh I wish I could still get it. It cut perming time down by at least a half an hour. About the same time as a Color H/C...excellent!

I think Perm Companies are going to have to take time into consideration if they want us to start putting perms on our books again. And of course we will have to raise our P/W prices.

ISO used to make a Neutralizer free perm which was AWESOME...called NEO. Gosh I wish I could still get it.

Hmm, I used that one also Soph. They don't have it anymore?
All I can remember is if you didn't rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse more, You hair stunk to high heavens for a week afterwards.

i remember when spiral perms were hot stuff, they were using bits of hose pipe (wrap the hair around the hose) then secure with pipe cleaners.

Hmm, I used that one also Soph. They don't have it anymore?
All I can remember is if you didn't rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse more, You hair stunk to high heavens for a week afterwards.

Your right about the rinsing JD...10 minutes minimum! But it really is a beautiful perm and anything that gets me out of the neutralizing step is worth perfecting. I literally haven't used any other Permanent Wave in 2 or 3 years...we use it on everyone. This is only about 40 or 50 perms a year though, we don't do many perms right now either.
:green:

I will add that I remember Rods that were triangular in shape. In fact we had curling irons that were shaped that way also...it did't last long. LOL, the pipe cleaners were fun...We would make a loop, wrap longer hair around 1 or 2 fingers and tie the loop off with a pipe cleaner. This was fun but it was hard to neutralize and the curl pattern was very soft because there was no tention on the curl during processing.

hmmmm...if the perm IS coming back i better stop straitening my hair EVERY day and just leave it curly from now on:eek: :eek:

Well by all means you need to do that Beautyguru :D

I use to perm (spiral) for years, long blonde spiral curls, then straight hair came into fashion, so I told a stylist at work that we were on a mission and were going to stop perming and cut off all perm and go straight. We cut all my lenght off to a shoulder length bob. We worked at this for about 5 months and the curl was gradually softening to my delight!
One day while cutting this stylist stopped in the middle of the haircut and looked at my hair really close, then looked at me and stated "Jayne, You have natural curl girl!"
I was godsmacked! all those months just getting my hair cut short and here I sit with gods given curl! So what could I do but turn a sad realization into a good thing. I wear my curls with pride and blowdry it straight when I feel the need to wear it different. So in the Long run..I got the best of both worlds and everyone is so jealous of it :)

So Beautyguru..you really do need to allow your hair to go curly just to change it up.;) Celebrate your curl, not everyone has it!

i remember when spiral perms were hot stuff, they were using bits of hose pipe (wrap the hair around the hose) then secure with pipe cleaners.

Then they went and invented the spiral rod (boomarang)..lol..those things are so heavy in the hair.

I can remember my mother doing a home perm on me in the 80s. I ended up looking like a white member of the Jackson 5!:eek:

So now I have to grow my hair so my natural curl is cool.....well, I don't really have a curl just a wave that goes all over the place unless my hair is at least chin length then I can do a quite good scrunched bob...any shorter without straighteners then I'm a mess ....sorry to jump on the perm thread...just speaking as a sort of curly bonce!

Remember the root perm with short back and sides...OMG I had that one back along...I even have photos !

So now I have to grow my hair so my natural curl is cool.....well, I don't really have a curl just a wave that goes all over the place unless my hair is at least chin length then I can do a quite good scrunched bob...any shorter without straighteners then I'm a mess ....sorry to jump on the perm thread...just speaking as a sort of curly bonce!

Remember the root perm with short back and sides...OMG I had that one back along...I even have photos !
I don't remember that so feel free to show us the photos!

For some strange reason I decided to have a perm last September, my hair was in quite good condition before hand, but Oh my god what a bloody mess it turned out all frizzy, I have spent the last 6 months having it regularly cut into a graduated bob to get rid of the frizz.

I wont be repeating that mistake, my normal hairdresser was appalled that it had been done as I had highlights and also a large patch of stress related alopcia, but they must have been seeing £££££ as they went ahead and did the perm anyway and over processed it in the process with no consideration for my natural hair at all.:mad:

For some strange reason I decided to have a perm last September, my hair was in quite good condition before hand, but Oh my god what a bloody mess it turned out all frizzy, I have spent the last 6 months having it regularly cut into a graduated bob to get rid of the frizz.

I wont be repeating that mistake, my normal hairdresser was appalled that it had been done as I had highlights and also a large patch of stress related alopcia, but they must have been seeing £££££ as they went ahead and did the perm anyway and over processed it in the process with no consideration for my natural hair at all.:mad:
Blimey Jac, just goes to show it isn't just nails that can be damaged by unprofessional people....my hair has been over processed many times....I think that by reading the hair geek .....perchance hair can be bleached without it going chewey or snapping off...I always said I would never have bleach on my hair again....but if a hair geek was my hair person then just maybe!

My friend had her hair permed LONG LONG time ago, and her hairdresser back then burned her scalp, so now she doesn't have too much hair on her crown as a result. I have a natural curl as well and it is true that the texture on hair is back. Just see the red carpet next time, no more sleek styles, volume of the hair is creeping in.......

Latest posts

Back