Perm smelling hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa newsam

Reaction score
Strange question to ask but I had a young client come to me yesterday she’s only 14 and I instantly noticed that her smell like perm even though she hasn’t had one, she then mentioned it to me as she felt embarrassed and said that it had started to do it the last couple of weeks I have asked her about what product she has used but I have never heard of this problem before has anybody else or can anyone else offer me some advice to give to her as it seemed worse when I straightened it to the smell was really strong. My only other thought was hormonal? x

Poor child. If you mean it smells like ammonia then I think you need to refer her to her GP.
It could be anything including normal teenage hormones but it could be a symptom of diabetes so she really needs to get it checked out.

Obviously, you can’t suggest that as we’re not doctors, but you could suggest that her GP might be able to prescribe something that will alleviate the smell for her so that she makes an appointment.

Could it be a symptom of diabetes ? I didnt know that ! I've had a few clients like this it's always stumped me

Yes, it’s a known symptom.
However, it could easily be something far less serious but because diabetes is a serious condition if it’s left untreated, it’s worth referring the client to their doctor.

Latest posts

Back