perm

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandita8601

Mandita
Reaction score
i've been asked to do a medium perm just for volume. The lady has long hair to shoulder blades anyone got suggestions on the best way to do this? I've only ever done perms on shorter hair. Can i use bendy rollers?

If it really is just volume I think some of those big black perm rods and the next size up ( never had any so not sure of colour) bendy rollers will give a spiral perm which will produce either a ringlet or a wiggle.

Thanks, wondered if bendy rollers would absorb the perm lotion, but i'm sure i've heard of folk using them for perms

You can use bendy rollers, just take large sections and pay attention to how the hair is being elevated off the scalp. You need lift and overdirection for larger sections.

Years ago I remember hairdressers covering the mid lengths and ends in foil when rolling up.
Just leaving the root area exposed to the perm lotion.

The result was good initially, but it never lasted because obviously not enough hair was wrapped around the rods at the root area. Plus the clients had to pay virtually the same price as a normal perm. Shocking:eek:
:):)

are you sure it was foil, I thought metal + perm lotion = fizzing??. I've dragged that from somewhere deep in my memory so I might be wrong!!! you can perm with bendy rollers and they are the best thing for getting an even spiral curl on long hair but you're saying she just wants body? always a difficult one because depending on the hair type long haired perms can 'drop' easily but also if fine hair you can get a really strong curl.:irked: If you can do a test curl somewhere at the back - time consuming and fiddly trying to neutralise one rod but at least you'd know how her hair took a perm. Let us know how you get/got on.:)

are you sure it was foil, I thought metal + perm lotion = fizzing??. I've dragged that from somewhere deep in my memory so I might be wrong!!! you can perm with bendy rollers and they are the best thing for getting an even spiral curl on long hair but you're saying she just wants body? always a difficult one because depending on the hair type long haired perms can 'drop' easily but also if fine hair you can get a really strong curl.:irked: If you can do a test curl somewhere at the back - time consuming and fiddly trying to neutralise one rod but at least you'd know how her hair took a perm. Let us know how you get/got on.:)

I'm sure it was foil. I could be wrong though. :confused::confused:

I have one booked in a few weeks too. I am going to use black and grey rods. I always think it is better to have a bit of a curl otherwise it is just not going to last very long at all.

sorry Mr Lamaur appleman:confused: I think I got muddled with the idea of metallic salts reacting with perm lotion, i've been looking through the old 'principals and practices' and I can't find any mention of problems with metal!! interesting section of fingerwaves though!!:eek:

I remember doing what was a perm for just root lift and not perming length and ends back in the 80s and we used cling film on the lengths and ends instead of end papers. Definitely not foil. It would fizz. I remember what happened when metal section clips got dropped into the perm solution by mistake and that indicated that it might not be a good idea to be wrapping the hair in foil for perming..

I remember doing what was a perm for just root lift and not perming length and ends back in the 80s and we used cling film on the lengths and ends instead of end papers. Definitely not foil. It would fizz. I remember what happened when metal section clips got dropped into the perm solution by mistake and that indicated that it might not be a good idea to be wrapping the hair in foil for perming..

thanks NeelieGel, proof that my greymatter still has some use!!:lol:

Latest posts

Back