Permanently wavy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becki x

Reaction score
I don't do much hair anymore so for that reason i have been trying to talk my sil out of having a perm :rolleyes:

She has coarse,dense mid length hair,with plenty of long layers.

She is after the toussled beach look,but my perms have been limited (through choice) so i was wondering if you could give me some advice.

If and only if i decided to go ahead,are there are new rods or perming rollers out there to achieve this look ?

Would you just go for a brick winde on the largest rods,with a soft wave perm ?

Do you recommend a brand specifically for this type of perm ?

This is a fairly new style so i have had no experience in this sort of perm (i admit i am a little chicken about doing it ) so any advice is gratefully received .

Many thanks and i look forward to the replies. x

Its been a long while for me aswell in terms of doing a perm but Id be tempted to use the largest perm rods you can get and to use a soft acid perm. Hopefully acheiving a softer curl with the density of her hair. not too sure about a brick wind, i never really did those too much just the standard wind or a spiral was mostly called on when i was working more, was a few years back though! I hope others can help a little more.

I know I'm not a hairy geek but the guy on Ten Years Younger used these new perm cones where they are wider at one end than the other and he said they give a far more natural look ... and it did!

I've not seen them but i kinda thought there would be something like that Sass x

Some recomendations of tried and tested ones would be great x

Im not a hair pro, but my friend wanted the 'beach' look aswell, I went with her to the hairdressers and they used the cone shaped rods. The effect is fab, really natural looking!

I cant comment on anything technical though! hth's a bit!! xx

Definately conicle rods are what you need. Wound vertically like a spiral perm using a gentle acid perm such as goldwell.
This will give you the look you are looking for Becki. The conical rods will give a non uniform look.
I would wind them randomly to get the boho look.

hth xx

Thanks for that,do you have a link or know where i can purchase these ? x

I'd like to see these cone shaped rods. They sound Fab. Does she have any natural wave at all in her hair? Look at it when its damp how does it hang.

How have past perms taken for her?? (If shes ever had one)
Did she have wave or curly hair as a child?
Does she currently have any chemical processes on her hair?

(just some good questions to ask to figure out witch type of perm to use)

Sounds like some orange rods and a brick wrap would be great...with the right styling product and drying technique.

Make sure the hair isn't too wet when wrapping.
Be sure to put consistent even tension (without cranking rods in) on each rod.

Rinse WELL and evenly. don't skimp on the rinse especially on thick hair.

Consistency, a good Consult and a disciplined approach are the keys to great perming.

Permanent waves are another dying art. IMO This is the time to be good at them. We (my Sis and I) wave other stylists clients for them...because they don't offer the service.

Last but not least, go for it Girl...and come back and let all of us know how it went. :green:

ooh i dont envy ya hun , i hated perming with a vengence:lol: it did my head in , i didnt think many people had perms these days , apart from the blue rinse brigade , lol , :lol:
i have seen the conical rollers used on the telly and they are meant to be really good , haveyou tried Welcome to Salons Direct i think they have a hair section in there ,hth dee x

Thanks dee...I'll check into the link you gave.

We still don't do many perms either...maybe two a month depending on the time of year. And most of those are like the beach hair look talked about in this thread..therefore...very easy and quick, fun too I might add.

There's a whole generation of people out there that have never had a perm...it's very fun for them. And the straight look is getting old:eek: .

One thing though, we've done Color for so many years...the money is great and permanent waves have to be just as good as far as the money making potential per hour. I work with an assistant she wraps and rinses many of my perms. This leaves me time to do a color and cut in the mean time.:lol:

I love It!!

She has virgin hair with a slight bend to it,we have consulted on many occasion and discussed the reailty of maintaining it,tbh we have both been nervous about it,i will show her this thread and go from there.

Any more suggestions greatfully received,thanks ladies x

Conicle shaped rods can be purchased from capital.
hth xx

For the "beach" look, we use spongy, foam rollers. They are long about 6-8" and bendy. There are only about 12 to 15 rods used, all parts are zig-zagged, keep the ends very smooth wind on the rod and place the rod in the center of the section (on base with sizeable drag, 2X or 3X tool diameter) saturate and process, there will be no drop at the scalp, you are looking only for roping and movement. Rinse extremely well, at least 10 minutes with very hot water, blot well almost dry, let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes with nothing on it and blot again. (this allows some of the water to be released so that it doesn't dilute your neutraliser and allows some of the hydrogen and salt bonds to reform on their own) then neutralise according to directions, drop your rods and rinse. This type of texture service will only last about 2 to 3 months before it has completely relaxed out.

Several manufacturer's make solutions specific to this type of wrap, Scruples Texture Fusion, Pativa Alternative Wave, ISO Nexture, Redken Trust to name a few. HTH need more feel free to ask!!

I have had a Synchrome perm (L'Oreal)

My hair was put up into 2 high bunches and "tied" with a long bendy roller
Random sections of my hair were rolled up in another bendy roller and "tied"

My hair looked like naturally wavy hair and with a bit of curl product looked like beach hair!
My hair is super long though so not sure how this would work on short hair

Not sure how well I have described this but it looked great!

I think it's an excellent Idea..good one Jeni. This is a great way to get the effect of beach hair. I love you suggestion of blotting and waiting 5 minutes and blotting again. Excellent I'm going to incorporate it...especially for this type of perm with so much hair on one rod. :green:

Hi

Wella cygnature is a great perm. It allows you to comb through really easy so nice and versatile, as in easy to style straight for a change.

For the look your sil is after you need to wind with large rollers and only wind up the midlengths and ends.

HTH

ps i hate perming!

Latest posts

Back