Perming an elderly lady’s hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte12

Reaction score
Hiya. I have an elderly lady who wants her hair permed. She used to go to a salon but now because of her hips she can’t really move around much. How would I go about perming her hair? Shampooing, then neutralising. I think I’m finding the neutralising part the scariest, as I can’t have her over the bath, and obviously I can’t get her to neutralise her hair herself. Thank you in advance

When you say "how do I go about perming her hair" I presume you mean 'how would I perm her hair at home?' Not 'how to do a perm?' Because if it is the latter and you've never permed before then your first one should not be on a mobile client without supervision, especially when logistics of washing are an issue. I'm also a little confused about how you want to go about it. Correct procedure is:
1 Shampoo with clarifying shampoo
2 Cut at this point if she's having a cut
3 Wind
4 Apply barrier cream/cotton wool. Then perm lotion, cover with cap and keep an eye on it
5 Rinse rinse rinse for 5 mins at least.
6 Blot rods dry
7 Apply fresh cotton wool, apply neutraliser, develop for 5-10 mins
8 Remove rods
9 Rinse
10 Anti-oxy conditioner, rinse
11 BD/set

I use a portable basin and also portable shower (pump goes in clean bucket of warm water, use as a normal shower head. Makes rinsing a lot easier. You can get them for £20 on ebay) Or a jug would work too. One of my ladies can't lean back so we did everything forwards over her kitchen sink. Lots of careful gowning and towelling required, and give her a flannel to hold over her face. It will be fine (but don't worry, it freaked me out at first too).
All the best ☺

Last edited:
Hiya. I have an elderly lady who wants her hair permed. She used to go to a salon but now because of her hips she can’t really move around much. How would I go about perming her hair? Shampooing, then neutralising. I think I’m finding the neutralising part the scariest, as I can’t have her over the bath, and obviously I can’t get her to neutralise her hair herself. Thank you in advance
Take a look in your suppliers, I had a plastic neck tray that you can put round her shoulders for when you apply your solutions, as long as she can sit fairly still and with her head slightly back to stop it running in to her face then it works a treat. That's if you haven't got a portable basin?

Latest posts

Back