Perming - winding techniques

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillyjayjay

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm a newly qualified stylist, I'm gonna be practicing my perming techniques as I havnt done many, just wanted to know, what winding pattern would you suggest to achieve loose curls on a shoulder length haired client? I plan to use the wella intense wave :)
Tia x

Not sure which techniques you’ve already been shown but if you want to get an overview then use the internet and look at the following main winding techniques and the results they produce:

Directional, Brickwork, Spiral, root perm, Hopscotch, Piggyback, Weave.

Also, if you’re not 100% sure of the hair history, it’s always worth doing a test curl first. This will give you an indication of how easily the hair will curl and will help you determine timings, wind technique and suitable roller size.

Remember to advise your client that permed hair needs to be properly finished with the correct drying technique and suitable products. Many younger clients unfamiliar with perms expect that following a perm, they will wake up and have soft curly hair without any effort so you need to manage their expectations.

I find a spiral perm is good for client perm newbies as it gives a soft beachy wave that can easily be rolled into curls but looks ok when just left to dry naturally. Also, this might be better as your clients hair isn’t that long and will look much shorter following a perm.

Thank you so much for your help xxx

Latest posts

Back