perms not on nvq

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Monroe

Reaction score
hi can anyone tell me what products and equipment will i need to offer perms as here is a big market of older clients who want this but unfortunatley my college did not offer this in nvq2 as they said itwas out dated and replacedwith scalp massage!
also can you help me with price guide.ie how many perm i will get out of the products.

thanks

hang on so you are saying you were not taught permanent waving at college !:eek: crikey things must have changed, i really wouldnt do it hun if you haven been trained on it , perming is a funny thing and on some clients it can take on their hair in as little as 5 mins , if you left it on too long it would over process the hair and can break
i would phone college up and ask em to let you go in and examine you on it ,
am presuming you went to bfd college ? when i was there we did tons of perms for the blue rinse brigade
as far i am aware its still part of the nvq2 syllabus , coz you would struggle doing level 3 because the perming on that was with weird stuff like straws etc.. to get different effects

i know i aint answred your question properly hun but am shocked they have just thrown it off the course , its deffo not right
hope you get sorted xxx

With all due respect hun,if you haven't covered this at all i wouldn't recomend you carry out this service,if for no other reason than the fact that it will invalidate your insurance :!:

Product companies such as Wella offer perming classes,and allthough they are brand led they are far more indepth than what the nvq covers anyway.

Get one of these under your belt first hun :hug:

Fyi Dee,nowadays it's classed as an extra module in many colleges,rather than a complusory :!:

However IMHO how they can hand out the nvq without covering perming is a joke

well i think that is totally wrong !! i cant believe they just decide its not important enough to learn just coz not many people have it done :eek:, what if it comes back in fashion??
i am glad i was taught so well back in the day :lol: we did even relaxing and that was meant to be for level 3 students,
thinking back my college was pretty good really, i am lucky i was taught so much ,as we learnt scalp massage as part of condition treatments

i dont think i would like to be at college now a days :eek:

on my course the perming module is optional, but we have all been advised to take it, as you will at least be qualified in it, even if you only do one perm a year, better to be able to offer it than not,

my tutor told me that next year there will be a big change in the modules on the nvq for hair, as things like finger waves, pin curls etc are too outdated and these are to be replaced with things like afro caribbean hair and chemical straightening etc ( amongst other things)

you still only need to be assessed on 3 perms to qualify( scary isnt it!!)

crikey thats scary we had to do loads till we were able to be passed but then it was 15 yrs ago :o aargh am feeling well old now :lol:

wow can't really see how a head massage replaces a perm!!

client' i.d like a perm please to give my hair some body !!

stylist' oh why don't you try a head massage instead it will give you a lift but maybe not your hair !!! lol

i mean come on the older generation still have them all the time ..

and what about all the differant techniques of perm,, thats really strange ! hope you find some answers hunni x

Thank you all for your comments.
Firstly i didn't go to Bradford college, i live in leeds nad went to one of the Joseph Preistly college( which i WOULN NOT RECCOMEND TO ANYONE, UNORGANISED FROM DAY ONE!!!).

The college said that perming was an optional unit and we would not be doing it as it was out dated and we would be doing scalp massage, as a beauty therapist i have already done this so was not best impressed.
i also said what if it comes back in fashion and also there will always be oaps who want it doing they're the bread and butter of your salon (usually unless you're toni n guy)who come without fail. but still we were not to do it and she was not going to affer it out of hours either.

Obvioulsy i am aware i am not qualified in it and unfortunatley therefore can't get insurance but when i open my salon i intend to employ someone who does, someone who did not go to my excellent college!! lol in this case i need to set aside money for the equipment and also know how to price my treatment.

Carla do you mean the price of the actual perm rods and solutions or do you mean you need to know what to buy in order to do perming?
xx
Elaine xx

I am absolutly speechless (and for those who know me, you know it don't happen often :lol:)

NOT teaching student hairdressers how to perm ....this is maddness!!!
Fashion is allways going around in circles....we're having an 80s revival right now!!!

Please don't try perming without any training, as it's been pointed out it will invalidate your insurance and remember you are dealing with chemicals that could, with the wrong use, cause a lot of damage and pain to your client and ultimalty a cost you a LOT of money.

I have to agree that pin curls and finger waves are outdated and need replacing with someting else ( i havn't use them since i did my training 24 yrs ago)

As for replacing perms with scalp massage !!!:eek: .... oooh yes that really going to give the hair a lot of curl lmao :lol:

I totally agree. Dont do it without training. Its the craziest idea ever not to train students in perming.
Its one of the basics really. When I did level 3 the perming unit was optional, but when doing the basic level 2 it should be compulsory I think.

xxElaine xx:hug:

yes lavender blue i did want to know what my hairdresser will need to do it. i have lots of wholesalers i use thank u everyone. and also the timmings so i canwork out how much to charge.
i will eventually do the course myself.

She will need every size perm roller from the smallest to the largest. Obviously it depends on the style, length, etc of the hair as to which she needs. Its best to stock every size.

End papers

Perm solutions - it depends on what floats ya boat really. Experience and preference will determine the solution she uses.
I would say always go with the highest quality solutions possible. Perm solutions always come in different strengths for different hair types e.g: normal, tinted, fine, resistant, highlighted etc etc.

There are literally hundreds of perm solutions, acid perms, alkaline perms, thermo perms, etc. All have their own advantages, it really depends on the hair type, and preference.Some require an activator -usually acid perms but this will be included in the box.

Always follow the manufacturers instructions!!!

Neutraliser- most come with individually boxed perms.
Some perms require you to purchase a seperate neutraliser, these are normally the ones that you buy in 1 litre bottles.

Some perms require the neutraliser to be applied with a sponge,so in that case a neutralising sponge and plastic dish is needed.
Some solutions the neutraliser is applied straight from the bottle. Some need to be mixed with water, some are ready to use.

Always follow the manufactures instructions !!!!!

She will need cotton wool (neck wool) for around the hairline during processing time. A TIMER or a watchful eye on the clock during development time.
A processing plastic cap in some cases!
Barrier cream.
Protective capes.
Pre-perm lotion in some cases - hairdressers discretion.
Latex gloves-hairdressers preference.

Conditioner .

Price wise- Perms vary greatly in price . Anything from around £2.50 to £10 for the solution per head. This depends on where you get your stock from, the manufacturer, the quality. etc etc. You wouldthen need to take into account the price of all the other stuff required to carry out this treatment.

Timing - Depends on the hair. Normally maximum 20 minutes development time.
From start to finish - Depends on experience of the hairdresser. A rule of thumb =2,5 hrs from start to finish is about right, but it really depends on the length of the hair and what is required of the finished style, ie:blow-drying etc.
As to decide what to charge the client depends on the area you live, your chosen product, amount of time taken (labour), competition, etc.

Always follow the manufacturers instructions !!!!

Overall its going to take between 2 and 3 hours from start to finish at a minimum cost of £30 upwards taking all of the points iv mentioned into consideration.

Hth If you need any more help just give me a yell.

Elaine xxxx:hug:

Why dont u try a short course 4 1 day.Its easy enough to do once u no how.Try capital hair and beuty,type it into google they do courses on there x

Why dont u try a short course 4 1 day.Its easy enough to do once u no how.Try capital hair and beuty,type it into google they do courses on there x

I totally dissagree. A short course in perming doesn't exist. Perming is an art, and needs to be learnt and taught properly.
What about the science part of it? What about the theory, and then there's the practical side, then the assessments.
How on earth can anyone learn perming in one day? :eek:

Elaine x

i cant understand why they dont teach perming its so confusing i finished my level 3 only 3 years ago and its changed so much since i finished my training, i had to do perming on level 2 and level 3 i learnt to do different perm winds on top of the ones i already did in my level 2 , i can understand perhaps it being optional on level 3 but i would think like any part of hairdressing you would have to do it ,

i suppose its like nail techs not learning how to do extensions and skin techs not learning to do facials

and with fashions changing all the time perming is just as important as colouring and cutting

Hello everyone, this is my first post :o

I finished my NVQ2 last year, and really struggled to find perm models, as no one wanted them done. I did train with one of the bigger salon chains (in Surrey), and we offered them for free to assessments, but still not a lot of people wanted them. But despite this, our Training Manager still didn't want to take it off the syllabus because perming must be an essential part of hairdressing, if only for the theory to understand about the structure of the hair.

I'm inclined to agree, and I think the same about pin-curls and finger waves. We were allowed to do them on each other (I know!!! :suprised:), and I learned something useful, especially when thinking about hair ups for parties etc. I doubt you will use them much in your career, but then who does Farandols anymore and we had to do one of those!

Hello everyone, this is my first post :o

I finished my NVQ2 last year, and really struggled to find perm models, as no one wanted them done. I did train with one of the bigger salon chains (in Surrey), and we offered them for free to assessments, but still not a lot of people wanted them. But despite this, our Training Manager still didn't want to take it off the syllabus because perming must be an essential part of hairdressing, if only for the theory to understand about the structure of the hair.

I'm inclined to agree, and I think the same about pin-curls and finger waves. We were allowed to do them on each other (I know!!! :suprised:), and I learned something useful, especially when thinking about hair ups for parties etc. I doubt you will use them much in your career, but then who does Farandols anymore and we had to do one of those!

Welcome :hug: nice first post :wink2: Oh if you wanna show off your pin curls and really get into the swing of eing a geek,there is a hair comp running,click on my signature for details,enjoy geeking :hug:

Latest posts

Back