Peroxide levels and bleach

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andie68

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am hoping for some help from you guys.
As a 50 something year old hairdresser, i can remember using very high peroxides with bleach ,even on a couple of occasions,60vol for red hair
Very different now as i tend to use 3% or 6 % only.
I am currently doing some research and would like to see if i can identify the following,
1- Do you remember using high % and what companies they were with? i.e L'Oreal, Wella etc
2- Do you remember when the on scalp bleaches were introduced? we always used the powder bleach,then scalp bleach was introduced,and now we have all gone back to Powder bleach for on scalp.
3- If you or anyone you work with still uses high levels,i.e 12% with bleach, what is their rough age ?
4- Does your salon do allergy tests on every new client and intermediately, say 6 months?
Thank you in advance. Any memories or experiences of bleach with high levels or skin testing memories would be a big help.

I`ve seen a picture of a book (I think it`s from the 60`s) where you can see that Loreal could have been used with 40-60 vol.
10541936_805905322794637_815058449_n.jpg

Krisco, Thank you for this.
Is there anyway of finding the exact year the book was printed? if you have it,it will say at the front or can you remember what the book was called?. Thank you

I can remember a bottle of 60vol in the salon when i was about 16 (19 years ago) and a stylist is 5years older than me using it for cap hilights on very coarse red hair. I always would do bleach hilights 12% or lower if it was more than top section so 6/9/12 so it all finished together. Now i use as low a peroxide as i can get away with with any colouring service

A small independent wholesalers in the south west U.K. was still selling 60vol liquid peroxide when I was there in 2013. I haven’t visited since so maybe they still sell it?

i believe you can still buy small bottles.

Latest posts

Back