Personal trainer working me too hard?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LieLash

Reaction score
After gaining a few stone which I put down to a year of taking anti depressants - and failing miserably to lose the weight, I hired myself a personal trainer.
I'm no stranger to exercise or diet, Ive played competitive sport, worked out and eaten well most of my life so I class myself as pretty fit and strong.

But I feel like my personal trainer is killing me. I knew it was gonna be tough - but I never thought it would be this tough and its not getting any easier as every session he pushes me harder and harder.
Yes the weight is comings off but not as quick as I'd hoped despite my strict diet and workouts.

I really don't want to sound like a "wuss" and from a bit of research I've done it seems like the general option is that a PT is there to work you hard and if you are still breathing at the end then that's fine - and that to ache so much that you can't walk or lift your arms etc is a good thing!!!

But I dread every session, and those happy endorphins still haven't kicked in despite 3 months of training.

Last week he pushed me so hard that I nearly collapsed, I felt sick, couldn't stand, felt faint and I had to phone the boyfriend to come get me cos i couldn't drive home, then yesterday we did a circuit and I nearly collapsed again ( I actually told him I was done in and I stopped the session) to which he said " well if you wanna be a quitter" and I spent the next 40 mins flat out on the concrete outside the gym trying to cool down and stop the my head spinning, before I managed to drive home crawl across the road and into the house where I crashed out for the eve feeling like I was gonna spew.

I want to get in shape but if this is what a personal trainer does then I either have to admit defeat or man up!

But I find that I'm so mentally and physically tired and due to the adrenaline rush ( not a good adrenaline rush) I have the shakes for hours afterwards. And then i still got to work every day - Try doing a set of eyelash extensions with the shakes and blurred Vision.

Today I just feel exhausted and totally drained, unmotivated and just want to go to bed ( unlike me)

I tried to speak with him and tell him that I'm not invincible and his workouts kill me but he says " no pain no gain"

I've paid him up front for another 7 sessions so I've spent a lot of money on this but like I said I dread every workout and can't carry on feeling like this and I feel like quitting because it makes me feel so ill.

Having never had a PT I don't know if this is normal or whether this is not how it should be.
Surely I should enjoy exercise and get a buzz not leave every session feeling sick, unable to walk, faint and dreading the next! :(

My husband used to be a personal trainer, and would never have been this excessive. I have to say this doesn't sound good. After years of training others, he finally had a PT session himself tonight and has come home buzzing about how great it was. He said he has never worked so hard, was dripping with sweat etc, but he loved every minute of it - BUT if at any point he was told to do something that made him feel bad, he would have stopped. I think you need to speak to your trainer - they're meant to encourage, not kill. Good luck x

My husband used to be a personal trainer, and would never have been this excessive. I have to say this doesn't sound good. After years of training others, he finally had a PT session himself tonight and has come home buzzing about how great it was. He said he has never worked so hard, was dripping with sweat etc, but he loved every minute of it - BUT if at any point he was told to do something that made him feel bad, he would have stopped. I think you need to speak to your trainer - they're meant to encourage, not kill. Good luck x

Buzzing? I've not had that feeling. I feel exhausted after every session because despite getting stronger he ups the weights so it remains just as hard. And I feel sick and rough the next day. I'm used to exercise, I've played competitive netball for years, ridden horses and worked out so like I said I'm not unfit or new to all this.
I told him that im not invincible and that I find his work outs real hard but the sessions are still the same. Dont know whether to keep going or quit.

Buzzing? I've not had that feeling. I feel exhausted after every session because despite getting stronger he ups the weights so it remains just as hard. And I feel sick and rough the next day. I'm used to exercise, I've played competitive netball for years, ridden horses and worked out so like I said I'm not unfit or new to all this.
I told him that im not invincible and that I find his work outs real hard but the sessions are still the same. Dont know whether to keep going or quit.
You need to insist that he adjusts the sessions. If he does that you'll stay, if not he loses a client.

I used to work out with a pt and yes he pushed me hard but if any of the exercises hurt or whatever (I struggle with my back) he would adjust them. I had times when I felt dizzy and he got me to sit down, relax for a couple of minutes & have some water before carrying on. Yes there is the saying no pain no gain but this man sounds unprofessional to me. Is he associated with a gym or anything where you can swap for a different trainer? I'd tell him to ease up or you'll want a refund!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Is he having you do HIIT training? High intensity intervals

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

We do mostly weight training. I'm but a fan of lots of cardio or the thin look, I wanted to build a bit of muscle and I used to enjoy weight training, and found if I incorporated it as cardio it worked.

We do a lot of reps (20) and he gets me lifting quite heavy now. Most days I'm very sore from it.
We did a cardio circuit yesterday for the first time instead of just working on selected muscle groups , consisting of kettle bells, squats, dips, tricep curl, hammer curl, dumbbell flies, sprints, abs and others I can't even remember - it was hard and no rest between exercises, after the first circuit I was shattered ( and I'm not unfit)

But I feel for how hard I train, how crap I feel - is it worth it?

I used to train alot at the gym myself - I probably didn't push myself as hard as I could but I enjoyed it mostly and that kept me going there but now I dread it x

Latest posts

Back