Personality and confidence. Important?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
How important do you think these are?

I had a full head of highlights recently and the stylist did an amazing job. However, the whole time she looked nervous and when I said how pleased I was with the results, she kept asking if I was sure. She's been at the same salon for 6 years so it wasn't newbie nerves and all of the girls were lovely to each other.

I never mention that I'm a therapist and I'm always friendly and chatty (and I tip well), but aside from being very sweet and lovely, she had nothing to say during the three hours that I was in there.

I think that personality and confidence go hand in hand with being a success in the hair and beauty world. What say you?

Confidence is very important without it the client may find it hard to trust you and your judgement ive learnt that not only am i selling products and services im also selling my self to a certain extent so i always try act confident even when im not and think as in talking to the client i always chit chat away if that what the client wants you get the odd few who want to relax without talking x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeekc

It definitely sounds like she had low self esteem doesn't she?

I do think you are right, I have had my hair done before from a stylist who hardly uttered two words and it is boring! I know not everyone wants to chat but you just think they have nothing interesting to say. I do think you need to be chatty and be able to strike up conversations with people about anything. But usually the old, what are you upto today? What is it you work as? Usually gives you a platform to start talking about other things going by their reply.

I know that I am a good waxer (trained with yourself) and clients tell me so but I would never say to someone that I was amazing at waxing. I just don't speak about myself like that but if someone tells me I'm good I can take a compliment and I don't ask if they're sure and things.

That's my two penny's worth :)

It definitely sounds like she had low self esteem doesn't she?

I do think you are right, I have had my hair done before from a stylist who hardly uttered two words and it is boring! I know not everyone wants to chat but you just think they have nothing interesting to say. I do think you need to be chatty and be able to strike up conversations with people about anything. But usually the old, what are you upto today? What is it you work as? Usually gives you a platform to start talking about other things going by their reply.

I know that I am a good waxer (trained with yourself) and clients tell me so but I would never say to someone that I was amazing at waxing. I just don't speak about myself like that but if someone tells me I'm good I can take a compliment and I don't ask if they're sure and things.

That's my two penny's worth :)

No i wouldnt either but if your not confident like how she was kim sating are you sure you like it could make some people think why is there something wrong lol x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I do think it is important to appear confident and be able to talk and get on with clients well as it is important to have a rapport with clients. However I am not the most confident person and would love to feel more confident! Any tips!?

I think if your chatty and confident but not too overly confident and know when to Stop talking then that's good. You are selling a service, hopefully products and yourself. You have to be kind and warm and sweet etc so that yes the client trusts you and feels safe with you doing their treatment and most I portably try re book and continue to come to you because they enjoy their treatment with you. If you cold and reserved and not open to conversaate then why would they want to come back to you to sit in silence, feel uncomfortable, arkward and no enjoy their service.

Yes it's important. While I was training a girl started at the college on the same day. We all sat together on day one and got to know each other before tutors arrived and she sat alone at the front. We done our best with her over the first few weeks inviting her to wherever we were going for lunch but she chose to sit in the reception area alone with her sandwiches. Poor thing didn't have the confidence to speak to any of us, so wouldn't know what she would be like with clients. She sadly left one day without warning (didn't turn up and the college had a call from her mum to say she wasn't coming back). The worst part is she didn't leave enough of an impression for me to remember what she looked like or her name.

Loubaby, if your online do you remember her name or of her? Xoxo

Yes it's important. While I was training a girl started at the college on the same day. We all sat together on day one and got to know each other before tutors arrived and she sat alone at the front. We done our best with her over the first few weeks inviting her to wherever we were going for lunch but she chose to sit in the reception area alone with her sandwiches. Poor thing didn't have the confidence to speak to any of us, so wouldn't know what she would be like with clients. She sadly left one day without warning (didn't turn up and the college had a call from her mum to say she wasn't coming back). The worst part is she didn't leave enough of an impression for me to remember what she looked like or her name.

Loubaby, if your online do you remember her name or of her? Xoxo

Aww that's sad yeah we had a girl like that and had many girls like that at the academy in kind at Steiner. Don't know how they would ever cope working for Steiner as its all TARGETS TARGETS TARGETS lol

No i wouldnt either but if your not confident like how she was kim sating are you sure you like it could make some people think why is there something wrong lol x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

No I know. What I was trying to say was you can be confident in your work without being overly confident and bragging about yourself all day. I just didn't put that across very well :) x

I think a lot depends on the client you're with at any particular time, I act differently with each client, some I'm quiet and peaceful as that's what they want, some I'm literally singing and dancing with! I like to get along with my clients and treat them, and interact with them, the way they like. Be confident, and if you can't then "fake it til you make it" lol x

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

I think a lot depends on the client you're with at any particular time, I act differently with each client, some I'm quiet and peaceful as that's what they want, some I'm literally singing and dancing with! I like to get along with my clients and treat them, and interact with them, the way they like. Be confident, and if you can't then "fake it til you make it" lol x

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

That's a very good point aswell I find you adapt to how you feel the client would prefer. If you think they're up for a laugh then you will do and if they're quite serious then you might be too :)

That's a very good point aswell I find you adapt to how you feel the client would prefer. If you think they're up for a laugh then you will do and if they're quite serious then you might be too :)

Yeah would says that's right too, each client is different. Some of my ladies would rather not talk and sit there silent where's otherwise are tellin me the local gossip lol

It's a tricky one isn't it because there's a fine line between being sweet, modest and approachable vs being loud, brash and close to patronising.

I try to be closer towards sweet, modest and approachable but in a way that says "I know what I'm doing and you are in good hands but if there's anything you're not sure about then please do let me know."

Definitely I think they do because there are some people that shouldn't even be as sucessful as they are they can just talk a good job.How many managers in all sorts of jobs are dreadful and you wonder how they got there.I do think these people eventually get found out though I think to be REALLY successful and HAPPY you have to be confident,understanding,tolerant hard working and especially, good at what you do as you can't fool clients for too long.

I think it helps if we focus on the client. They may be nervous or unsure of themselves.By switching our attention to how they are feeling we can forget our own shyness.
I always comment on what is good about their skin, everyone has plus points and is beautiful in their own way; I think it's a big mistake to put 100% emphasis on what they are neglecting, or how poor their routine is, although I can be more brisk when giving my opinion of some products used.
On a personal and professional way I always accept compliments by sincerely thanking the giver. It can take courage to compliment, and slightly off-putting to have the compliment discarded and disregarded.

This is something I'm really working on. After many years of illness etc I have next to no self esteem. I used to be a totally different person but now I doubt myself all the time and am convinced that I'm doing a rubbish job even though the few clients I've had so far have all been chuffed.

I'm trying hard not to let it show with customers and to fake it but sometimes it's hard. I'm always waiting for someone to phone and complain or something.

How important do you think these are?

I had a full head of highlights recently and the stylist did an amazing job. However, the whole time she looked nervous and when I said how pleased I was with the results, she kept asking if I was sure. She's been at the same salon for 6 years so it wasn't newbie nerves and all of the girls were lovely to each other.

I never mention that I'm a therapist and I'm always friendly and chatty (and I tip well), but aside from being very sweet and lovely, she had nothing to say during the three hours that I was in there.

I think that personality and confidence go hand in hand with being a success in the hair and beauty world. What say you?

I think they are important when you are working in any service industry. I'd imagine most people would feel more at ease having a treatment done by warm,genuine and open person who makes them feel comfortable in their company . I'm very chatty and friendly myself but regardless of how well I do a treatment if someone doesn't like me they probably won't come back...but sure that's life, you can't win them all and you have to be yourself.
As for confidence well if you can back that up with excellent work you'll thrive in your chosen career whereas BS'ers won't cod people for long.

This is something I'm really working on. After many years of illness etc I have next to no self esteem. I used to be a totally different person but now I doubt myself all the time and am convinced that I'm doing a rubbish job even though the few clients I've had so far have all been chuffed.

I'm trying hard not to let it show with customers and to fake it but sometimes it's hard. I'm always waiting for someone to phone and complain or something.

Sorry to hear this but the main thing is your back and up again which is important. Remember that. Just have faith in yourself, I'm site what you do treatment wise is just as good as before so why would anyone complain now? If you worry too much maybe that may come across that you are panicking in case tey complain? Have faith xx

I used to be painfully shy. It used to hold me back from doing things but by doing this job I've totally overcome it. I sometimes think I may talk to much!
I think it's so important to be able to chat to your clients it really puts them at ease. I think you have to judge the situation though and take the clients lead as to whether they want to talk or not.
I think confidence comes with age though aswell.

I remember when I started my first salon job I asked my mum for ideas on conversation starters.

Now days I read the paper and watch day break before going to work so I have topics to talk about.

During massages and facials I do shut up though!

I must say I also feel that a hairdresser could give me the best hair cut but if I don't get that rapport (not sure if that's how you spell it?) I doubt I'd go back

Sorry I've rambled on a bit!

Latest posts

Back