Petition to ban MMA use in UK salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hattie

Reaction score
Hi, I stumbled across this petition to ban the use of MMA in UK salons. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/117207

I've copied and pasted the information from the petition below.

Ban the use of methyl methacrylate substances used in UK nail salons, it causes severe damage to the natural nail plate & inhaling the fumes can cause breathing difficulties. The substance is too strong for use on the natural nail causing severe damage as the nail has to be severely filed.

MMA is irritating to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes in humans. An allergic response to dermal exposure may develop.
Respiratory symptoms include chest tightness, dyspnea, coughing, wheezing, and reduced peak flow.
Neurological symptoms, including headache, lethargy, lightheadedness, and sensation of heaviness in arms and legs in humans following exposure to MMA.

MMA just shouldn't be used on nails it's much too strong & dangerous.
More details
MMA is irritating to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes in humans. An allergic response to dermal exposure may develop.
Respiratory symptoms include chest tightness, dyspnea, coughing, wheezing, and reduced peak flow.
Neurological symptoms, including headache, lethargy, lightheadedness, and sensation of heaviness in arms and legs in humans following exposure to MMA.

MMA just shouldn't be used on nails it's much too strong & dangerous.

I've already signed it!! I've shared it on Facebook too

That's great, thank you [emoji4]

I'm passionate about this

I wouldn't get your hopes up, I signed one about 10 years ago......still waiting.... :confused:. We don't have the kinds of H&S controls and litigation midset of the Americans, so getting this banned is highly unlikely until someone takes a case to court or a massive media issue is made.

Good, reputable nail salons and techs won't touch the stuff, only those looking for cheap nails will go to places that use it, and in those situations I think the legal system and H&S view is the onus is on the client to know what is being used and take responsibility for their own H&S.

It doesn't make it right :mad:

I've signed and shared via Facebook and Twitter, still a lot of signatures needed though

I've signed x

Signed! Thanks for sharing! X

@Trinity, I know what you mean, very it's frustrating. ☹

Reputable brands don't have this in do they? How do you know if it's in your products? X

No they wouldn't have it in their products. It's banned in the States, so if a product is used there it would not contain that ingredient. X

Latest posts

Back