PHD Waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my Phd, wouldn't use anything else. Just the thought of having spatula and pot used on me makes my skin crawl! The new smaller applicators make doing upper lips and eyebrows a breeze. My clients are so happy to know that I care as much about their health as they do :)

i got rid of my phd a couple of years ago , totally regretted it and have just bought another one , i find it very easy , and clean :lol:

I bought a Phd Jpod (the student one) so I could try it. I didn't get on with it at all, so when the Ellison's area manager came to see me I asked her to give me a demo. The first thing she said was that it wasn't heating up properly. When it was at the correct temperature, she did the demo and it was absolutely fantastic, so quick and easy, and no problems with dripping wax everywhere. I had a go myself and the difference it made with it being the right temp! So I've decided that when I can afford it I will be purchasing the Phd system. I love the hygiene side of it too, the fact that you can't get any cross contamination. And the new sizes of heads are so much better. Yup, I'm a fan!

hi all
Ive invested in PHD system and im abit on the fence, as a mobile therapist its easy to transport and heating up isnt a problem 10-15 min (setting up time), the spatula and pot method I like equally trouble may occur now we are heading into winter...anyone any thoughts at all?

Teresa

sorry not relevant to the thread.Just the system I use and it is very nice

I have a second hand but as new PhD wax system for sale with the trolley. Obviously it is normally 199 pounds but will sell for 85. I also have an esthetix electric couch for sale like new with extra head rest and arm rests. 450 plus I have a mobile trolley white very handy for mobile therapists 40. Drop me an email or call 07985 920829 or txt 07766 711189

I paid £30 to go on the PHD waxing course at Ellisons, I found it invaluable, I wasnt heating the wax up enough, once I got over that difficulty of the tube being hard to extract wax out, there is no stopping me know. The wax glides out I do a large area at a time(where applicable) and its quick. I like it lots:)

I was a PHD user until recently. Initially I found the whole concept to be ideal - hygiene, no mess etc however despite two training days with Ellisons, I just couldn't get on with the tubes. I felt it was fine for smaller areas however when waxing larger areas the wax constantly clogged up in the applicator head. It was frustrating and not very cost effective so I sold the system last month and now use the hive handheld roller wax system which is great.

i think PHD just offer 2 types of wax at present, but I love it, would never go back to pot & spatula now! Plus all of my new waxing clients absolutly LOVE it, they think its dead posh coming in tubes lol :)

i use pot and spatula

i have tried phd a few times, i'd say its takes a while to master it

Hi
I used phd many years ago, I did not get on with it then as at that time they only had one size of head, and found it fiddly for anything other than legs, However have just gone back to using it, as it it is far more hygenic and they now have 3 different head sizes for underarm bikin areas. and a tiny one for eyebrows, they also have 4/5 different waxes on offer and going on the training day is invaluable, came away with total confidence, and absolutely love it, yes at first you do use more wax than perhaps normal but you will soon get the hang of it promise! good luck

I still think it was sold totally on 'scare tactics'

A box of spatulas costs you £1 - that is a clean hygeinic way of using wax.

I bought it - then sold it.

If your wanting to do fast treatments mobile - it will take so much longer.

At the moment it is what I use, it is what I was intially trained in and its working well for me. I do sometimes wonder if it is significantly more expensive then traditional Pot & Spatula waxing and whether or not I should look at changing over to that - I may get a heater for Warm Wax to see how I get on.

It is a nice little system, it can be a bugger to keep the wax warm and keep it at the right temperature. I've found setting the temp to keep the wax in the booster chamber warm means that when you get a new tube that is too hot to apply to a client so you need to let that cool down first.

As for the marketing - has there been any studies / research into cross-contamination? As in an infection as a result of the therapist not using proper techniques? I'm certainly not aware of any, and yes I agree it is slightly based on scare tactics some of the marketing. And of course once you adopt PHD that is it - you can't use a wax from another supplier.

Mat

Ah thanks fozzyo - thought I was going to get some grief.

I dont think its a bad system.

I just think - how long was has been going - years and years and there has never been a case of cross infection. Im pretty sure there would have been by now.

I still dont think there is any direct contact with the spatula and skin as the wax is inbetween the spatula and skin.

The downside to pot and spat - it takes a while to master and is very messy when your starting out. But thats all.

I have trained in both pot and spatula and PHD, although I like the old fashioned pot/spatula method I have just ordered a PHD system because I am mobile and think it will be much easier and the wax will heat up quicker than the P/S method

I think whatever you use it takes a while to get used to it, but it's just a matter of finding the right system that works for you:)

It is what works best for you. I had the PhD system for a couple of years, I used it while training and went up to coventry for the Ellisons course, but i had problems because i have small hands and actually squeezing the tube in the right way was a problem. I has too many issues with it and just sold it and went back to pot and spatula. Yes, it is difficult explaining to my clients, but they watch me work hygienically, felt for me when i was having problems with the PhD system and started to stress! I would not knock the system in any way, but it just wasn't for me.

I have trained in both pot and spatula and PHD, although I like the old fashioned pot/spatula method I have just ordered a PHD system because I am mobile and think it will be much easier and the wax will heat up quicker than the P/S method

I think whatever you use it takes a while to get used to it, but it's just a matter of finding the right system that works for you:)

That was why I bought it - I thought it would end the spillages in the car and would be easier to cart about - but alas it wasnt meant to be.

I found phd did not heat up quick enough - it takes ages. At least with p/s you can heat it up and use the melted bit around the sides for a brow wax - you cant do this with phd.

Minipig - love your Jared Leto pic - he was luch then.

Hi
yep i also had a hive roller system absulutely great, yep far cheaper than PHD but i like the concept of PHD and how clean it all is, I use the wax papers from the wholesalers tho and sometimes use pre and post lotions from wholesalers does help with the cost.

Hi All, I've been thinking about spatula vs roller for a little while as I'm about to start doing mobile work.

Just to say thanks to you all I've now decided to go back to my roots and carry on with the old style pot&spatula!!! Very true about heating time on the regular pot...you can use the bit thats melted while you wait for the rest.

Can anyone give me tips on best ways to carry it around on travel...I don't even want to imagine the mess it would make in my car etc should anything goes wrong!

Star

Got a big platic storage box with a lid and my pot and bits and pieces all go in there (little boxes for tweezers etc).

For the legs I take the pot out and place it on a mobile plastic trolly- the one someone has mentioned in chit chat but if its just brows it stays in the plastic storage box.

My pot is small and has a big base so that it is more sturdy and less likely to get knocked over.

For mobile I find a smaller pot easier (need to fill it up more but if it is spilled - theres less wax to lose)

xx

Latest posts

Back