Photo theft

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.R

Reaction score
Just some advice really from fellow geeks.
I was made aware of a new Facebook/Instagram account (hair extensionist) using a lot of my work on her page. Unfortunately, most of the photos of late do not have a watermark image across them (stupid I know, I've only recently stopped doing this because I'm in the process of changing my business name and want to avoid confusion,but yup, stupid move on my part)
......To make things even more unbelievable, I've just discovered this extensionist is an ex client who disappeared with £170 that she owed after I did her hair (she told me when she went to pay that her account had been hacked into and she'd make a transfer the next day.....it never happened, she blocked all contact)-I'm furious right now, I've asked her to take down the photos of my work, is there anything else I can do apart from buckling up on my social media business accounts and watermarking my pics?

Threatening with legal advice usually works. You own the right to those photos so you can seek legal advice if you wanted to go down that road.

Thankfully she has now taken them down on her Facebook account after a firm but reasonable warning. Apart from the fact that she is an ex client that had absolutely no intentions of paying for her full head of hair extensions, it irritates me that there are so many photos on her page that are clearly not her work. It takes time to grow a business and all of us have to start from the bottom and work our way up, it's a hard old slog for all of us. She is even offering unsuspecting clients Easilocks and is not even a trained hairdresser......sigh.....

Thankfully she has now taken them down on her Facebook account after a firm but reasonable warning. Apart from the fact that she is an ex client that had absolutely no intentions of paying for her full head of hair extensions, it irritates me that there are so many photos on her page that are clearly not her work. It takes time to grow a business and all of us have to start from the bottom and work our way up, it's a hard old slog for all of us. She is even offering unsuspecting clients Easilocks and is not even a trained hairdresser......sigh.....
When does the non payment date back to? If you have proof of non payment like messages ect you can start a small claims case x

When does the non payment date back to? If you have proof of non payment like messages ect you can start a small claims case x
It was summer last year, yes I have all the messages and I wanted to go through a small claims court but I had no address so I let it go.p- I now have an email address and another contact number from her page, I have the finances to get legal advice and if need be through small claims, I just don't know if it's worth it now though.....

Photo theft is so annoying. It's happened to me & also other extensionists I know. I stupidly didn't watermark then had my photos used with the other person's watermark!!!
Just make sure you put your name or watermark across the pic to try & stop it happening!!!

Photo theft is so annoying. It's happened to me & also other extensionists I know. I stupidly didn't watermark then had my photos used with the other person's watermark!!!
Just make sure you put your name or watermark across the pic to try & stop it happening!!!

You should contact them immediately and tell them very firmly to remove the photos otherwise you will take legal action against them. It's misrepresentation and potentially fraudulent to pass off other people's work as your own if for financial gain.

It doesn't matter that they've since watermarked them. It was your client so you can easily prove that they're your photos.

Don't let them get away with it.

I'd take her to court for the fac4 she is taking the piss out of you!!

Not paying her bill then stealing all your work!!! Build a case and get revenge!!

Small claims isn't expensive. I got advice from citizens advice then did all the rest. It's pretty straight forward.
I'd definitely take it further.
I can't get over the cheek of some people! [emoji35]

Thanks guys,
I have looked into taking her to small claims, but I have to have an address for her which at this current time I do not have. I did remind her that she still owes the sum of £170 but as before, she has ignored this message and since changed the name of one social media account and deleted the other.

That's another reason why it's important to take address & contact details when you do your initial consultation.

Sorry to hear that. It happened me before and they even used my photo for there profile photo!!

Does she work from home do you know? Maybe you could get a friend or family member to contact her under the quise of being a potential client and see if she works from home to get her address?

Thanks guys,
I have looked into taking her to small claims, but I have to have an address for her which at this current time I do not have. I did remind her that she still owes the sum of £170 but as before, she has ignored this message and since changed the name of one social media account and deleted the other.

You can go to the small claims court if you have a work address

Latest posts

Back