Photographing nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahjane69

Reaction score
Hi any tips for taking photos of nails once done? Mine don’t seem
To do them justice. Many thanks. X

Use outside lighting

Use good lighting, good camera and learn how to edit. Personally I don't like props and busy back drops... for me the nails have to be the focus.
Crop your photos and play around with contrast and brightness using an editing program.
Prior to taking the photo make sure you don't have any bleeding of product into the cuticle or side walls and rub in cuticle oil... Don't leave it sitting like a pike of puss.

Thank you

Different household lights produce light in different colour temperatures. Some are warm, others neutral or cold. Warm colours have more yellow and cold has more blue. That effects the colours in the photographs and is why professional photographers use neutral lights. Some semi-pro cameras allow you to make a white balance where you point the camera at a white paper for example, and it adjusts the camera for the colour temperature of the lighting so the photo will have the correct colours.

As agnbeauty said, photographing outside is easier. Ideally a slightly cloudy day so the light is scattered and not too direct like on a bright sunlit day.

A simple background is best to focus attention on the nails. One trend that I like is extreme close ups, where you see perhaps 3 or 4 nails and finger tips only. You can take the photo further away and then crop to get this effect. Here is one example I found.

Screenshot 2019-05-21 at 10.08.22.png

If you become more enthusiastic and want to send photo's to Scratch or other magazines, you will need a semi-pro SLR camera and some studio lights. Studio light prices have fallen a lot as entry versions use LED's. Studio lighting has the advantage that you can control the amount and direction of light exactly and try different things until you are happy with the image.

This is a very old photo of Iryna's work from around 2008 I believe - a time when nail art like this wasn't really known. Here I used a focused light under the mesh to make the background dark and make the image more interesting.

Screenshot 2019-05-21 at 10.14.03.png

Hope this info helps xx

Latest posts

Back