Photography - Taking a good basic picture

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the information

Seanny said:
Thanks Victoria, I'm not too good at explaining things myself as I tend to miss out on lots of important stuff that I take for granted. I thought that this would be of some benefit in Geek though as I know lots of guys can do great nails but lack confidence to show these off with their cameras, and that's a shame and so un-necessary.

You're welcome and 'ditto' :) I'm good at explaining a lot of stuff,, but explaining software.. I'm only a good teacher if I'm sitting with someone, taking them through it step by step.
OR if it's with cameras.. only if it's the same kind as mine lol

I'm told I'm a good teacher, but I suck at explaining it in writing lol

Anyway, my whole point was just to say thank you, although I didn't need the tut, I'm sure many others will appreciate and sometimes the rest of us that know how to do things take it for granted that others do when it's not the case.

keep up the great tuts :lol:

PS: i see you used 'screen capture', isn't that the GREATEST for explaining things? hehe

Well I just had to!
Who wouldn't want to join in with a thread involving Seanny and baked beans!lol
Ok so off I toddled to the kitchen...camera in hand.....husband with puzzled expression on face!
Here is the original picture!
http://www.noticeablenails.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Big_beans!.htm
Its HUGE!!! This is coz my camera is 10 mega pixel, bit of an over kill me thinks! lol! especially for a can of beans!
Here is the resized image for webpages;
beans resize.jpg
Click image for real size
And this is the cropped section taken from the original;
beans crop.jpg
Click image for real size

Thanks for this thread Seanny, not only fun but informative! I thought I was ok at taking pics, but I have learnt that I dont need to be using my zoom as much if at all!

Victoria and Nafia, thanks for the encouragement, it does help. :)

NoticeableNails said:
Its HUGE!!! This is coz my camera is 10 mega pixel, bit of an over kill me thinks! lol! especially for a can of beans!

Jo, you're a total showoff. *LOL* That is one Ginormous pic. Thanks for posting in the thread and showing the cropped results. :hug: It should help the guys here to see everyone in here is capable of doing it. By the way, if anyone else wants to have a go, please do as Jo has done above and provide a link to where your pic is stored online, DO NOT try and post the high quality pic here in Geek, it would be a major drain on the site. If you dont have a website of your own, Keep the large pic on your own PC and just display the resized image and the cropped section.

Seanny said:
Jo, you're a total showoff. *LOL* That is one Ginormous pic.

Well I did say it was abit of an overkill!:lol: those beans look as big as rugby balls! you wouldn't get many of thise in a can! :lol:

Glad to be of service!
Keep up the good work Seanny:hug:

I leave him alone for a week and look what happens!!! :smack: EVERYBODY in the whole wide world now knows about his Baked Bean fetish (only Heinz of course!). And I thought it was 'our' special little game......... :wink2:

Jackie
x

JackieMc said:
I leave him alone for a week and look what happens!!! :smack: EVERYBODY in the whole wide world now knows about his Baked Bean fetish (only Heinz of course!). And I thought it was 'our' special little game......... :wink2:

Jackie
x

Dont worry darlin', I havent mentioned anything about your flatulance disorder, that's still 'our' little secret. :Love:

I have tried but I must have a shaky hand as I took 4 pictures and none of them were sharp enough. Maybe it was the beans - they were Tescos Chilli Beans.

I will try again - my camera is only a 4m pixel - not like Jo's.

Fiona, dont worry if you have shaky hands, you can still do this. I always have to use a tripod or some other method to steady my camera 'cos my hands are absolutely terrible for taking sharp photos. *Shakin' Seanny*

Regarding your camera being a 4 megapixel model, that wont be a problem. It's more than adequate for this job. Just concentrate on getting rid of the shaking for the moment, once you've accomplished that (and I'm fully confident that you will) you'll get to see just how good your camera is. See if your camera has an auto timer on it and use it to take your finished photo once you've made sure that you're in the correct focus range and your lighting conditions are acceptable.

Thanks Seanny! WOW!

naturalnails said:
I have tried but I must have a shaky hand as I took 4 pictures and none of them were sharp enough. Maybe it was the beans - they were Tescos Chilli Beans.

I will try again - my camera is only a 4m pixel - not like Jo's.

I actually rarely use the 10mega pixel setting, I usually opt for the 4mega pixel setting.

NoticeableNails said:
I actually rarely use the 10mega pixel setting, I usually opt for the 4mega pixel setting.

Roughin' it with us lo-lifes eh Jo? 4 stinkin' megapixels. :lol:

i cant turn the flash off in my camera, and with all the pics of nails i have taken, it seems there is a glare coming from somewhere..is it from the top coat?

i like the idea of cropping the pic, i will try that, but the shots i have taken all have this bright glare on them...

any ideas?

ta

bit of masking tape over the flash ?

Most (if not all) of your close-up nail shots will be taken in natural light without flash, using black tape over the flash would work as indeed would smashing the bulb :lol:, however I think it would be much better if we can find out how to turn the flash off at the camera. This will be done via the menus so you'll have to have a read through your manual to find out how to do this. A few minutes spent reading about the basic controls will be a great benefit to you as you'll feel that bit more comfortable taking basic shots. Try and read a little bit of info each day.

i started indoors then moved out doors, i will be taking all pics in the morning out doors from now on. thanks seanny

You've done a much better job of placing a smiley on the label than I did. :)

Seanny said:
You've done a much better job of placing a smiley on the label than I did. :)

your pic is better though. Question? how can i get rid of shadow might it be a idea to put another piece of white paper on the right hand side of the tin or left hand side?

Tricky said:
Question? how can i get rid of shadow might it be a idea to put another piece of white paper on the right hand side of the tin or left hand side?

To put it simply, the shadow is there because the light is shining in from the left. You have three options for removing the shadow, (1) place a reflector, ie, white card or crumpled tin foil stretched back into a sheet on the right hand side of the subject, (2) Place a light of similar intensity shining on the subject from the right hand side or (3) Re-take the pic with the light shining from behind you.

If I can be of more help, feel free to email me

Thanks a billion!! Where have you been all my life??:lol:

Latest posts

Back