Piercing children’s ears

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nail FX said:
Then when she was 11 she went to Portugal with her dad and he let her have her belly button pierced .... I was so annoyed. To this day she has not removed the bar to be cleaned or changed it over, she can't bring herself to take it out and wont let me take it out for her to clean it. I am totally amazed it has never got infected.

That's why it isn't infected, because she doesn't touch it! most people are under the impression that you have to turn the bar or ring to stop it "sticking". in fact, this is untrue. a scab forms where it is healing and by turning the bar/ring, you can pull the scab and bacteria into the wound, thus causing an infection. the only time you should turn the bar/ring while the wound is healing is when you have been soaking in the bath for a while. if it does become sore lie on a bed and poor surgical spirit on it. stings like hell for about 10 seconds but sorts the early stages of any infection.

once healed you don't need to worry about taking it out. my belly ring hasn't been out for a year.

Toni Talons said:
That's why it isn't infected, because she doesn't touch it! most people are under the impression that you have to turn the bar or ring to stop it "sticking". in fact, this is untrue. a scab forms where it is healing and by turning the bar/ring, you can pull the scab and bacteria into the wound, thus causing an infection. the only time you should turn the bar/ring while the wound is healing is when you have been soaking in the bath for a while. if it does become sore lie on a bed and poor surgical spirit on it. stings like hell for about 10 seconds but sorts the early stages of any infection.

once healed you don't need to worry about taking it out. my belly ring hasn't been out for a year.

I my belly done once, it was fine but took it out when pregnant,,,,second time i had it re peirced i was in agony.....it went alll hot, swollen, red and obviously i had an allergic reaction or it was infected.....it was so so painful i couldnt bend down or sit down, in the end my hubby insisted i take it out i couldnt so he did it was the most painful exerience EVER:rolleyes: and ALMOST instant relief when it was out.

Dont want to play that game again !!!

amb x

I had mine done when i was 3 yrs old can't really remember and have since then added to that!!! I have 2 little boys and have said that i would like them to have them done when there 5 yrs up as its not really the done thing is it? Too have boys ears pierced when there little? My eldest who's 4 said he might want his done for school. If he doesn't then i won't pressure him as he now at an age when he can say "NO" if he wants to reguards this matter. If we had a little girl then yes i would have them done when she is little 8-12mths as i feel its less traumatic and personally as we like piercings feel they look nice. Plus as we (My husband and i) have piercings ourselves know how clean they have to be kept, (I also am qualified & have pierced ears, no small children as yet), so that wouldn't be an issues as we would keep on top of that. I suppose it depends on the individuals and they shouldn't be judged on what they have decided. Theses days its becoming more and more the norm to have little girls ears pierced early. JMO!!!:D

I had my ears pierced when i was 1 and I dont remember it and Ive still got the same holes in, im glad i had mine done when i was younger as when I was about 13 I had the top of my ear done and that was agony!!

At 14 i went on to have my belly button done twice top and bottom that was with a needle and far less painful, when I reached 16 I got my tongue done and even though i dont have any of them in now apart from my ears i dont regret having them done and quite miss my tongue piercing but too much of a pain to have done again and Ive got wimpier as ive got older!!:biggrin:

hi chick both my girls had there ears done at a early age .never had a problem both didnt cry .if anything my youngest wants hers done again. u can do childrens ears from any age aslong as the pearson doing them is comfortable doing them .x:biggrin:

I think it is absolutly disgusting to have a childs/babys ears pierced, why would you inflict this pain on the most precious thing in your life.

My daughter has been used as a pin cushion since she was born in and out of hospital, watching her scream whilst doctors tried to take blood from her was enough for me!!! theres is nooo way I would then go and get her ears pierced.

I am aware though this is a peronnel view and my strong view is probably because of what my daughter has gone through, I dont want any more pain inflicted upon her.

Each to there own view on motherhood.

i totally agree that its barbaric!
i only pierce children who can tell me that they want it done!

My daughter was very adamant when she wanted her ears pireced for her 5th birthday. So I had mine done again at the same time to show solidarity!!

My daughter now wants the top of her ear pierced and her nose pierced (sigh) I'm not sure how to get out of this one diplomatically especially after the incident just before Xmas when she tried to pierce her belly button with a notice board pin and got an infection.
She's only 12 and I don't want her pretty face covered in piercings - but I can't think of how to discourage her.
Sadly I've probably not helped the situation because in my twenties i had my nose pierced and the top of my ear. I've told her it hurts your ear if you wear a stud when you lay on your side.
I keep saying she is too young but of course all I get back from her is "all my friend's have it done .... bla bla bla." Today she has gone to school with a stick on phone gem on her nose!!! the girl is crazy - she thinks "I don't understand her" ( this expression came from the GP when I took her with the belly button infection. He had a chat with her and said to "I'm sure you think your mum doesn't understand your needs" and this has stuck with her and she uses it frequently - Cheers mate to the GP you really helped me out there (NOT)

yogacat said:
No, if you read the article she (nincompoop) linked to, there is an issue with blood microspray. This means that a very fine mist of blood (not necessarily visible with the naked eye) is sprayed over the surrounding area.

Also, if you read the article there is no way of STERILISING the gun only to SANITISE. and unlike nail tech work, the skin IS broken, so items should be STERILISED not just sanitised. Do you want to catch HIV?
appologies to those who i irritated (it was that time, and i can be irritating at the best of times...) anyway... i guess i was (irritably) coming at it from the angle of piercer, where in the studio we regularly sanitised everything (walls floors instruments...), so i any micro spray was'nt an issue. Sorry to have been cocky.:sad: Lessons are learned at te most unexpected times.

I pierce babies ears all the time - it's part of my job. You are not cocky - it's your opinion. We are all entitled to an opinion - yes you are too! Those of us who do this for a living are (hopefully) trained and insured. It's not fun but it's just part of our job.

Any resbonsible mother wouldn't get their babies ears pierced at that sort of age. It's proven the babay is more likely to develop a nickel-allergy if they get earstuds at an early age. And the hygiene! Spalshing some NaCl-solution or whatever on the gun... It's horrific... Actually, if you're gonna be absolutely 100% sure the hygiene is alright, go to a REAL piercer and get it pierced the way it's supposed to be done, i.e with a disposable needle(Forget about those cute babies having earstuds)

florence said:
Any resbonsible mother wouldn't get their babies ears pierced at that sort of age. It's proven the babay is more likely to develop a nickel-allergy if they get earstuds at an early age. And the hygiene! Spalshing some NaCl-solution or whatever on the gun... It's horrific... Actually, if you're gonna be absolutely 100% sure the hygiene is alright, go to a REAL piercer and get it pierced the way it's supposed to be done, i.e with a disposable needle(Forget about those cute babies having earstuds)

Yes I AM a REAL percer! And I AM hygienic:( What year is this?

Judy, are you a trained PIERCER? I don't mean those beatuytechs using the guns and all those horrible stuff, but a qualified piercer using single-packed sterile needles? If not, please stop piercing babies below the age of four, PLEASE... Because it increases their risk of developing an allergy. This is just a pleed, nothing else, hun...

florence said:
Judy, are you a trained PIERCER? I don't mean those beatuytechs using the guns and all those horrible stuff, but a qualified piercer using single-packed sterile needles? If not, please stop piercing babies below the age of four, PLEASE... Because it increases their risk of developing an allergy. This is just a pleed, nothing else, hun...

I think I'll leave this one now......:mad:

florence said:
are you a qualified piercer Florence, only there's no info on your profile???

ok then, please tell me what disinfecting solible you're using on your gun between piercings?

I didn't say I was a qualified this or that, I'm just simply asking... *sigh...* Don't get so upset if it doesn't inflict you, there's no need to, really... ;)

I'm not upset love, just asking that's all... and only asking because you make it sound as if you could have a bit of knowledge, sorry if i was mistaken *sigh*

florence said:
ok then, please tell me what disinfecting solible you're using on your gun between piercings?
Hiya Florence would you mind filling in your profile for us so we know what you are qualified in & your interests etc - it just makes things easier when geeking as you know a little more about people x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back