Pillow cases getting covered in oil!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButterflyQ

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls, bit of a random one so not sure I'll get much response.

We get a lot of massage booked in and use pillows during the treatment to support various areas of the body, unfortunately they are getting saturated and stained with oil. No matter what colour we buy, how much couch roll we cover them with, or how hot we wash them the oil just won't come out and we are having to replace them very frequently.

Is there a secret we're missing out on? Do we need to invest in some expensive leather ones? I have come across waterproof ones but only in a stark white colour, we need them to be dark to match our salon.

Any advice much appreciated :)

Thanks xx

I wouldnt use a pillow case if they keep being destroyed maybe wrap a towel around the pillow instead if the oil comes out of these i would try that. Sorry i couldnt be any more help maybe someone else will be able to

I have just done a french facial and as the shoulders and upper back are massaged it means that oil comes into contact with my small pillow under their head , the client coverings during treatment and any couch cover .
It used to really annoy me when my gorgeous towels got messed up with oil, but using grapeseed or sweet almond oil was better than an avocado/ wheatgerm mix.... these were dreadful. Is your oil mixed very yellow/orange?
Rather than direct contact with the pillow- and yes paper roll does gets in the way I use a very thick looped pile towel around the pillow, It absorbs the oil and is laundered at the end of the day or placed into washing up liquid to at least partly break down the oil if I am not in a position to launder on the day.
I hope that helps.
Currently I am using a mixture of E45 (, no worries with nut allergy - for therapeutic back massage treatments) Kaeso facial massage cream and sweet almond oil depending on the area being treated . I pick and choose which one suits what I am doing. Obviously aromatherapy treatments are full oil with the essential oils added and those towels are laundered or put into soak asap.
The up side is laundry is so much easier with massage creams and that means cleaner towels and less work at the end of our day.

We cover all our pillows with towels, and find the towels much easier to wash. The oil doesn't soak through to the pillow very often. We use 100% pure jojoba oil for all our massage.

wWe use PU half and full bolsters for body support (wipe clean and then sanitised) and personally I use a rolled up towel for under the head or neck if extra support is needed.

Thanks for your advice guys. We use towels to cover the pillows but it still seems to get through. Perhaps we need to invest in thicker towels!

Hi guys and girls, bit of a random one so not sure I'll get much response.

We get a lot of massage booked in and use pillows during the treatment to support various areas of the body, unfortunately they are getting saturated and stained with oil. No matter what colour we buy, how much couch roll we cover them with, or how hot we wash them the oil just won't come out and we are having to replace them very frequently.

Is there a secret we're missing out on? Do we need to invest in some expensive leather ones? I have come across waterproof ones but only in a stark white colour, we need them to be dark to match our salon.

Any advice much appreciated :)

Thanks xx

I put a towel over the pillow, oil doesn’t go through it. I still put a pillowcase on as people do look at things haha. Then when they turn over at the end I sit them up and use it to put over their shoulders.

I can’t get it out of my couch cover though I have sheet ones and am going to get dark towelling ones instead.

You can still use couch roll, I usually do. At college they used 1ply and it was enough to not get through.

I have all my pillows in white waterproof pillow protectors. They have looped terry cotton type outers and they don't feel plastic at all. I put another pillow case over the top and cover that with a towel. I only need to wash the inner protective cover occasionally. Mine are a commercial grade - the same kind used in NHS care. If you google waterproof mattress cover you'll be able to find companies.

As an aside, are you using too much oil? You need less than you might imagine for a nice massage - the slip comes from good body dynamics rather than lube.
Try measuring out a quantity rather than having a bottle handy. 10mls is plenty. I use lotion mixed with a little oil on the soles of the feet so it absorbs well.

Latest posts

Back