Pincer toenails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesT

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you have had experience trimming these type of nails/toenails. I have had some clients say that the place that they have gone to get them trimmed before cut the corners in quite a bit. I feel concerned with doing that due to the probability of them becoming ingrown. I trim them the same straight across with the corners slightly rounded. My client says that that is not enough because of pressure. I am not sure how I feel about this and thought you would know!

It's difficult to advise without seeing a picture of these particular nails but I would advise against 'cutting the corners in'. Doing that is just a short-term solution to a long-term problem and can cause the nail sulcus to 'roll over' the nail which then can grow into the flesh. It then causes a true 'ingrowing toe-nail'.

Some clients with 'pincer nails' also have corns down the sulcus which can be painful and need the attention of a Chiropodist/Podiatrist.

Not all pincer nails can be managed conservatively and sometimes a Chiropodist/Podiatrist needs to remove a sliver of nail on one ( or both sides) of the nail (under local anaesthetic) to relieve the discomfort.

The clent also needs to re-think their footwear/hosiery, as anything that compresses the nail in any way will exacerbate the problem.
If your client persist in asking you to cut the nail(s) back suggest they see someone else. The last thing you want is them blaming you for giving them an ingrowing toe-nail !

Last edited:
I was wondering if any of you have had experience trimming these type of nails/toenails. I have had some clients say that the place that they have gone to get them trimmed before cut the corners in quite a bit. I feel concerned with doing that due to the probability of them becoming ingrown. I trim them the same straight across with the corners slightly rounded. My client says that that is not enough because of pressure. I am not sure how I feel about this and thought you would know!

We are taught to cut square but also to do what is best for our client. I have ingrown toenails but only when they have been cut squarely. They become painful and seemingly start growing outwards like a fan. To the point putting pressure on my feet hurts.

I have since cut mine round for years and never experience any problems or pain from this until I try out a square shape and regret it. If a client is not getting on with square cut, try rounding with a file so they aren’t going to cut into the skin in the first place or take the plunge and suggest trying rounded one time.

As much as they are ‘meant’ to improve with squareness, not every person or nail is the same and unnecessary pain is not worth it for the sake of following a one size fits all rule.

A doctor would just send for surgery and cut the whole side off if they were extremely bad and leave them hideously unsightly permanently, in pain for weeks, so best to try a tactic the client is already happy and comfortable with that is preventing the issue for them.

@Podlady has given a great response.

I don't do feet anymore but based on the clients response (pressure/discomfort) I would suggest this issue is more than cosmetic and needs referring to a podiatrist/chiropodist. We don't diagnose, if in doubt refer to those who can/do.

Thanks for the help. I have had some other clients with more of an extreme pincer nail where it curls almost into a circle. I have trimmed those the same straight across with the edges rounded off slightly.
I agree that darn pressure from shoes and whatnot. I seem to tell clients but its like talking to a wall.
I do wonder how this condition gets when they age

Latest posts

Back