Pinching - why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been a nail tech for 8 years. All my training was/is with CND, so I've had a good solid foundation to my career in nails.

I was never taught to pinch a nail, and when I came across pinching and asked my educator about it she said that it's purely for appearance and is a method thats used in competition work. She said it has no real place in the salon, and that it can put stress on the natural nail so isnt adviseable on a practical level.

I've gone with that advice and never learned how to pinch. However, recently I've watched a couple of online tutorials that suggest pinching, and I saw someones advice on how to improve their technique that also suggested pinching.

I dont intend to start doing it myself, but I would be interested to know if there are any other reasons why people think that pinching is preferable

It's not something I do myself. However I've also seen it on a few tutorials. And it seems to be a trend with a particular brand to achieve a perfect shape.

I use the pinching technique along with c curve sticks. It helps the nails to look more natural and not 'flat' like a lot of extensions do. I've never had any problems with it damaging the clients own nails.

I was taught it for sculpting, esp square/stiletto/competition nails, but since i only do tips, then i don't do it.

In my view it is a competition trick, and puts unnecessary extra stress on the nail.... It also feels quite uncomfortable.
J

I got taught about pinching but got warned it can lead to oncholysis ( I think), it was more of a competition technique according to my tutor.

there are a few other things around to create a lovely C curve ,

Have you seen the CND dowles in the Brisa lite sculpting video on you tube ?
they look fabby for the C curve , I want to try them,

Brisa Lite Sculpting Gel Step-by-Steps - YouTube
for Uv gel i have some bull dog type clips in clear , Sam biddle sells them , I only use them right on the free edge and I dont find that they over exagerate the C , its more natral curve ,
How to use the Nail Pinching Clip - YouTube

for the most part I find sticking the backing on the form and minipulating it more than enough to get a lovely shape,

A couple of you have mentioned getting a good C curve and avoiding a flat nail, but I can acheive both these things without pinching, whether using tips or sculpting. Could it possibly be that different systems teach different techniques and that with other brands it is preferable to pinch because otherwise the application technique leads to flat nails with too gentle a C curve?

I have been shown this on my acrylic course with nail harmony. I've never seen pinching or the c curve rods before, I had another student apply a few acrylic nails on me then use the c curve rod after she had sculpted the nail. I took them off later that night as they felt really tight and sore. I then found out from my tutor she used the wrong size. x

well when i seen what nails i was doing before using a pinching tool..:rolleyes:... I now perfer the pinching tool i mean talk about daffy duck nails :eek:

well when i seen what nails i was doing before using a pinching tool..:rolleyes:... I now perfer the pinching tool i mean talk about daffy duck nails :eek:

That also comes down to technique. I don't need a pinching tool to not have flared nails nor do I need it for c curve. Make sure your filing techniques are solid. File with your elbow tucked in to your side to achieve straight side walls and bevel on top of the nail towards the free edge for a nice smooth strong apex.

That also comes down to technique. I don't need a pinching tool to not have flared nails nor do I need it for c curve. Make sure your filing techniques are solid. File with your elbow tucked in to your side to achieve straight side walls and bevel on top of the nail towards the free edge for a nice smooth strong apex.

This is exactly my thought... is it possible that some people are pinching when it would be more relevant to improve their sculpting and filing techniques? I just dont see it as a necessary skill on a practical level and dont understand why people are prepared to potentially compromise the health of the natural nail in order to acheive a look that can be acheived in other ways that dont damage the natural nail

This is exactly my thought... is it possible that some people are pinching when it would be more relevant to improve their sculpting and filing techniques? I just dont see it as a necessary skill on a practical level and dont understand why people are prepared to potentially compromise the health of the natural nail in order to acheive a look that can be acheived in other ways that dont damage the natural nail

Absolutely 'Chelle. .Some beautiful nails are done with pinching tools by very experienced techs and I honestly don't have anything negative to say. Yes there are some concerns about pinching especially the concern about oncholysis but honestly my biggest concern is that it seems to be taught now in leu of teaching proper filing techniques, apex building, etc...

As I said, I have nothing wrong with experienced techs who pinch. Look at Gemma Lambert's work--phenomenal. I just think that before techs resort to pinching (in a salon atmosphere) they should look at their technique and really perfect it so that they don't need to rely on pinching all the time.

Beautybemine--please don't take this as a poke at you. It is not. I'm talking in general. So I surely hope you don't feel that way.

You can also pinch the free-edge without pinching the nail itself (which will create the "C" curve), when building your sculptured nail slightly flare the free-edge, when half set, pinch gently, the flares then come down to create the c-curve, then with correct filing you will get the desired result without placing any pressure on the nailplate

I have used a pinching tool on myself for a few years. It doesnt hurt if using it correctly.

I dont have a problem with creating the proper shape. but I like the look when nails have been pinched. I pinch when I use tips or sculpting.

I supose its one of them things when someone likes something and someone else doesnt :)

I like to pinch nails for competition look or for stiletto- when I work for magazine publications or adverts. On clients it is rare but it hapen if I do sculpt like a one nail and rest of them are natural with deep c curve so they match I pinch extension.

Latest posts

Back