Pink & Whites Using White Tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhonda

Reaction score
Question....If you do pink and whites and use the white tips, do you use all pink acrylic when you do the overlay or should you use pink and white. All pink would be easiest, however, you mute the brightness of the white. If you do pink and white, my question is, why on earth would you use a white tip? Wouldn't it be easier to use a regular tip and then use pink and white powder.

Still a little confused on this. I haven't did very many P & W sets, but I want to start. I feel that if you can master this and do it well, you will set yourself apart from the others. :D

Your right! If you are proficient at using Pink & White powders ... who needs white tips??

But if you use white tips then in my opinion you HAVE to use pink & white powder and not just pink on the overlay. Why? ... because if you don't, when you come to rebalancing and re-newing the smil line, you will get 2 different looking whites!

Best to strive to get used to always doing pink and white and then you can cover all the options for your clients. And you'll be just as quick as only using one colour too.

No one would go to a restaurant that only had one thing on the menu!!

morning all...think ile try this coz ive not done pink and whites either, did my 1st set yesterday at leeds and they were pretty horrendous...lol...so i too was thinking of using white tips with white and pink powder to get use to doing it till ive perfected the skill...p & w do look so much better than just pinks...i am definetely getting the trainer hand out today and he is having a set of white tips and p & w overlay on, like it or not he's having them...
do u think this is a good idea using the white tip to guide us in the white overlay and for the smile line????
i also thought about clear powder over the tip and nail, what do u think about this? vicky x

Using the French tip as a 'learning tool' to creating smile lines is an excellent idea - gives you the line to follow.

If you use clear over the white tip and then pink, this looks nice initially, but will still give you 2 different whites when you rebalance.

However using clear over a velocity tip and then pink over the rest of the nail gives a 'really natural appearance and is very pretty too.

There is never an easy way to perfection ... hard work and dedication to becoming the best you can be is THE way and then everything else IS easy. Remember "short cuts make LONG delays"

Hi, sorry to butt but I just wanted say that when I first started I thought of using white tips for ease and speed.

Best to strive to get used to always doing pink and white and then you can cover all the options for your clients

But having stuck with the white powder I'm really pleased with my whites. It is definatley (sp?) worth the hard work and practise to get nice smiles, to be honest I think thats the only thing people notice on a french polish.

Anyway thats my 2pence worth :)

I'm just thinking...another advantage to using a white tip for a P&W is that you would have the nice white tip showing on the underside of the free edge instead of the natural coloured tip. I think the real goal here is to learn how to sculpt pink & whites :shock: so you don't have to use a tip at all. Saves time, saves money, and they look beautiful when they are done correctly.

So, I'll be off to practice on that today, this has gotten me quite motivated!

Hello,

Some people do use the white tips as a guide. They apply the tips then apply the white powder and follow the same smile line as the white tip and then the pink powder.

If you just use pink powder over the white tip then, I agree, the nails will have shadows in the white tip area and when you rebalance you will have problems. So unless you just want to use them as a guide I would stick with regular tips. Plus, you can't fit everyone in to a white tip.

So you need to learn how to use all different shapes and sizes of tips to get the correct fit, which means eventually you will need to learn how to create your smile line with no guide.

Hope this helps!

Leigh Ann

I just now learned how to create pink & whites and actually feel good enough about them to charge money! You know what I mean! I struggled for a few years trying to learn them. I am not perfect but here is a recent example of my pink & whites in the link below.

http://www.yournailpro.com/images/connieg.jpg

I usually use the white tips, then overlay with white powder.If she has pretty pink nailbeds, I use clear powder. I find that using the white tips allows me to have a nice smile line to follow. I have not perfected my smiles yet.
BTW Leigh Ann, I looked at your pink & white pic and wanted to ask you if most of your people prefer the almost straight across smile line. I love the curved smile, but a lot of my ladies want them like yours.

I am not trying to be competition style in the salon. None of my clients have requested the extreme smile line. They are happy with the smile line like in the picture because it looks natural for every day wear. I have done them a little more extreme too but not very much. It depends on the shape of the clients natural nail. That is what I tend to follow.

Leigh Ann

I loved your pic and I am happy to hear that it's not always necessary to have that extreme smile line happening as that part seems to be my downfall at the moment. I feel much better now ! :D

I actually do not like the extreme smile line.

To me it is not at all natural-looking and most times I do not feel that it enahances the look of the nails for the client.

One sees so many adverts that show this extreme smile, NO lower arch and whites that are not in a pretty proportion to the pink. I do not feel that it is nail enhancement at its best. It may be what they are looking for in a competition in the USA so many try to copy this look - we do not look for this in Europe, but rather consistency and natural thinness and nails that enhance the whole look of the hand - many times an Oval shape wins in Europe because that look is perfect for the model - I wonder if 'Oval' has ever taken first place in a competition in the US? Maybe someone can tell me? When I have talked to US judges they seem to be looking for a formula and one type of nail-look rather than individual interpretation.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I guess I have been comparing my attempts at P&W with the pictures I see online and in the trade mags, and feel that that's the product I must be producing for my clients. But you know what, they don't read the trade mags so how would they know what they are supposed to look like?

I have always tried to produce unique work, whatever it is I've attempted in my life, I've always tried to make it my own instead of a copy of something else. So this makes me feel so much better and more confident to do the best job I can and not worry that I have to live up to some perceived image in my mind of what a P&W "should" look like. With enough practice I will be able to produce something like that, if someone should desire that look. But I won't stress over it anymore. You have no idea how much your words have helped me! Thank you :D :D

Hi Scratchmyback (I wish someone would) :D

So nice to meet another 'individual' who is not afraid to say ... you know what? That look sucks and I'm going to do what I know looks appropriate and individual for a particular person!

I call those 'competition type' nails 'cookie cutter' nails. No matter what the nail shape or the cuticle line ... just stamp 'em out like a cookie cutter.

I don't know (actually I do know) who made the big decision that ALL competition nails in the USA had to adhere to this 'formula' but I do not agree and I think the wonderful artists out there who compete should stop having their considerable talent stifled by another individual's perception of beauty and dare to do something DIFFERENT and BEAUTIFUL.

My opinion ... no one had to agree with it!

hi everyone

could i just ask what are these competition smiles about? I cant get the link above (nailpro one) to work and would love to see what you are all talking about anyone else have a link i could maybe view them on? or if somebody could describe them for me?

Thanks very much in advance for anyone that replies here! :D
collette

So if somebody has a very straight smile line, would you follow this or would you make more of a smile?

Adele

If someone has a very straight smile line then I would curve it in the corners a bit to make them look happier! You don't ever want the smile lines to frown. But I tend to try and follow the natural shape of the client's nails and at the hyponichium so that it comes out looking very natural. But then in some cases not every nail is the same shape either. So you have to decide before you start about how high you will place your smile lines and how curvy.

Leigh Ann

Here is the image again for the other nail tech who was not able to view the link.

connieg.jpg

[/img]

I would always enhance what is there and make it prettier ...

But there is enhancing ... and then there is going over the top to the extent that you can no longer call it enhancing as it actually looks un-natural!

Well thanks guys, you've just confirmed what I'd always thought.

Dellie ;)

I say AHHH - Tom Holcomb has ALWAYS been a wonderful competitor BECAUSE he is so consistent in his work - no matter what, everything is PERFECT!!! !!! Those are beautifUl nails - BUT remember to have a great model - that is 60 / 70% of your work!!!! I have always been proud and impressed with Tom's work and I think Antony Buckly does a great job too for the UK!!! ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back