Platinum hair destroyed by hairdresser, where to go from here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nano999

Reaction score
Hope you guys don't mind an ex therapist on leave asking for help.

Last November I went from 6 inches of level 5 virgin hair and 9 inches of pre coloured level 5 hair to platinum and I was in love with it! Obviously the pre coloured hair wasnt in perfect condition after but it was by no means fried, a little dry but I expected that. I am greying very concentratedly at my temples so wanted to try being blonde to disguise them for a change. My trusted hair dresser moved away up north.

December I was recommended a mobile hair dresser to do my level 5 roots. All seemed fine after but I noticed the top parts were really sucking up purple shampoo after.

After she came again to do the next root touch up I noticed that she had overlapped the bleach at least 1.5" onto my already platinum roots. So now my hair has broken all around my hair line to an inch and a half, is half the thickness it was before and is coming out in ridiculous amounts every day. The hair that is left is gummy around the top of my head. If I could pull off a shaved head and a wig I would!

I'm so so devastated. All my life I've wanted to be blonde but never had the patience to grow out previous colours enough and finally I do and I got to enjoy it for all of a few months!

As a professional what would you advise I can do moving forward? Because I'm so grey at my temples I quite wanted to stay on the lighter side but I'm obviously aware this might not be possible now. Currently babying my hair with k-pak, olaplex, oils and conditioners, no heat, no styling etc but wanting to know what my options are.

Many thanks

Last November I went from 6 inches of level 5 virgin hair and 9 inches of pre coloured level 5 hair to platinum and I was in love with it! Obviously the pre coloured hair wasnt in perfect condition after but it was by no means fried, a little dry but I expected that. I am greying very concentratedly at my temples so wanted to try being blonde to disguise them for a change. My trusted hair dresser moved away up north.

December I was recommended a mobile hair dresser to do my level 5 roots. All seemed fine after but I noticed the top parts were really sucking up purple shampoo after.

After she came again to do the next root touch up I noticed that she had overlapped the bleach at least 1.5" onto my already platinum roots. So now my hair has broken all around my hair line to an inch and a half, is half the thickness it was before and is coming out in ridiculous amounts every day. The hair that is left is gummy around the top of my head. If I could pull off a shaved head and a wig I would!

I'm so so devastated. All my life I've wanted to be blonde but never had the patience to grow out previous colours enough and finally I do and I got to enjoy it for all of a few months!

As a professional what would you advise I can do moving forward? Because I'm so grey at my temples I quite wanted to stay on the lighter side but I'm obviously aware this might not be possible now. Currently babying my hair with k-pak, olaplex, oils and conditioners, no heat, no styling etc but wanting to know what my options are.

Many thanks
Usually the best solution would be to cut it off. But obviously it doesn't sound like that's an option for you. The problem is, hair that's over processed and like chewing gum, it's become hydrolysed. When hair has become hydrolysed, there isn't anything that can restore it to the point where its guaranteed to stay. Not even olaplex. Your hair may not be that bad. I would keep up with the olaplex, and take a look at a strengthening / protein shampoo and conditioner. Use a leave in conditioner if possible. Colour wise my first instinct would be to not touch it at all. Maybe go somewhere that comes highly recommended and just have your roots lightened. But you need an experienced stylist to do this. If any overlapping happens you will likely lose most of the hair.

Last edited:
Goodness, that sounds awful. Was she fully qualified and insured?

Did she warn you during the consultation that your hair was already severely compromised? One application of lightener shouldn’t do that much damage, assuming it’s used correctly.

Do you know what products she used? How long was the product left on and did she apply heat? Why on earth did she overlap by such a large amount?

We can’t really be sure what’s gone wrong without seeing and feeling your hair so I’d be inclined to visit a decent salon and ask for a consultation to see what they advise. Normally, if the hair feels like chewing gum, it’s been over processed and nothing will repair it from that stage so the only option is to cut out the damaged sections.

As far as I know she was. I didn't ask for proof of qualifications but I'm seriously doubting how she can be so recommended when even I, a non professional, know not to overlap!

I used her twice, the first time doing my roots I didn't really see what she was doing but 2nd was upstairs in my bathroom where there is a big mirror and I caught a glimpse of how far she had bleached down the hair. I 100% wont be doing anything to the already destroyed parts but babying them. I'm just wondering what to do with my regrowth, how long to leave it and what to do with it when it comes through to work towards having lighter but not fried hair in the future.

I asked a chain salon today what they advised for a future hair plan and they said highlights on the roots when longer and adding low lights into the bleached hair to break up the block colour but as the hair is hydrolysed as said above (I prefer just saying completely f*****!) I doubt it would hold colour longer than a wash. Just trying to get some ideas from other professionals.

As far as I know she was. I didn't ask for proof of qualifications but I'm seriously doubting how she can be so recommended when even I, a non professional, know not to overlap!

I used her twice, the first time doing my roots I didn't really see what she was doing but 2nd was upstairs in my bathroom where there is a big mirror and I caught a glimpse of how far she had bleached down the hair. I 100% wont be doing anything to the already destroyed parts but babying them. I'm just wondering what to do with my regrowth, how long to leave it and what to do with it when it comes through to work towards having lighter but not fried hair in the future.

I asked a chain salon today what they advised for a future hair plan and they said highlights on the roots when longer and adding low lights into the bleached hair to break up the block colour but as the hair is hydrolysed as said above (I prefer just saying completely f*****!) I doubt it would hold colour longer than a wash. Just trying to get some ideas from other professionals.
I don't see that highlighting the root will be any more beneficial than just having your roots carefully touched up. You're right in saying that your hair probably won't hold on to colour if they were to lowlight it. If you were a client of mine I would touch up your root with a good quality bleach and use olaplex during the process. Then if needed I would tone the very root with a gentle toner. I honestly believe that by highlighting it you run the risk of the product swelling in the foil and causing overlapping. The first section will be on a lot longer than the last, possibly causing overprocessed sections. So in fact I think the risk of over processed hair is higher with highlights than a root application. This has only happened because of a poor application of bleach. Possibly being left on too long and not treating the hair appropriately after the chemical process.

I don't see that highlighting the root will be any more beneficial than just having your roots carefully touched up. You're right in saying that your hair probably won't hold on to colour if they were to lowlight it. If you were a client of mine I would touch up your root with a good quality bleach and use olaplex during the process. Then if needed I would tone the very root with a gentle toner. I honestly believe that by highlighting it you run the risk of the product swelling in the foil and causing overlapping. The first section will be on a lot longer than the last, possibly causing overprocessed sections. So in fact I think the risk of over processed hair is higher with highlights than a root application. This has only happened because of a poor application of bleach. Possibly being left on too long and not treating the hair appropriately after the chemical process.

Would you say it's possible to have natural level 5 bleached to platinum with roots being done every 6/7 weeks AND still keep some of the integrity so it's not snapping when its wet and breaking off at the hairline? I get the feeling being platinum all over just doesn't exist starting at level 5 but I'm sure it does! I feel like no matter what theres going to be a few mm's of overlap going on.

Before when my old hair dresser took me to blonde she always used olaplex, did 20 vol low and slow and it lifted so clean. I feel like its impossible to find people who use olaplex (everyone uses the lesser bond products) and who take their time with it, I don't know anyone who uses cotton wool to stop transfer and be precise etc. It all seems a bit slap dash!

Very good point with the time it takes to do foils, I hadn't thought about that!

Don't suppose you live in London do you? Haha!

Many thanks

Mine went hydrolysed once and I tried as long as I could to grin and bear it but eventually I had to get it cut. Mine wasn’t long enough to hide in a bun so I had wiggly hair root to tip. When I got it cut I was like just do it . Hated having a fringe that was so short..But being able to brush without tons of spaghetti was a massive improvement and it’s the front that people notice so I dealt with that first. Once it’s up nobody will really take any notice.

I’ve also worn wigs and actually I loved them. An affordable one these days is often good quality. You just pin your hair and pop it on. Bit of glue if I was going out. It was like an instant blow dry every day and people get mesmerised by it and don’t realise it’s fake.

You could try buns with a fake fringe to hide it while it grows enough for you to be comfortable with chopping.

Would you say it's possible to have natural level 5 bleached to platinum with roots being done every 6/7 weeks AND still keep some of the integrity so it's not snapping when its wet and breaking off at the hairline? I get the feeling being platinum all over just doesn't exist starting at level 5 but I'm sure it does! I feel like no matter what theres going to be a few mm's of overlap going on.

Before when my old hair dresser took me to blonde she always used olaplex, did 20 vol low and slow and it lifted so clean. I feel like its impossible to find people who use olaplex (everyone uses the lesser bond products) and who take their time with it, I don't know anyone who uses cotton wool to stop transfer and be precise etc. It all seems a bit slap dash!

Very good point with the time it takes to do foils, I hadn't thought about that!

Don't suppose you live in London do you? Haha!
Unfortunately I don't, but if I did you'd totally be welcome! I feel like you probably need to go to a higher end salon to this quality service and good quality products. Olaplex is the only thing of its kind. No other plex treatment works in the same way. Usually olaplex is advertised in the salon, in the salon window and or on their website /Facebook page. They would be proud to have it so definitely look for somewhere that advertises it.

Latest posts

Back