Platinum root tap/smudge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buxom

Reaction score
Hey!

My client is a natural 7, has been doing a full level 10 bleach and is looking to soften her demarcation line. My thoughts are to do a level 8/10 vol root tap. I've only ever done a smudge on highlights, so my question is when I'm re-touching her, am I just to break the former root colour towards the end of processing? Will this look ok?

Thanks for reading!

Hey!

My client is a natural 7, has been doing a full level 10 bleach and is looking to soften her demarcation line. My thoughts are to do a level 8/10 vol root tap. I've only ever done a smudge on highlights, so my question is when I'm re-touching her, am I just to break the former root colour towards the end of processing? Will this look ok?

Thanks for reading!
What I tend to is just go for it on the 1st, maybe even 2nd appointment and obviously create peaks and troughs so you blend away that solid root. Then so the root doesn't take over, you could either freehand some bleach sections or do a scattering of foils, and then recreate your root blend after - I find this works really well. I hope this makes sense - I'm writing this before my morning coffee!

..... I hope this makes sense - I'm writing this before my morning coffee!

Having a lie in then? :p
By 8.55am, I’d already walked the dog, had 2 coffees, made bacon butties for the troops and about to start drying off some tomato seeds as an experiment. ;)

Hahah stop bragging lol
To be fair I'm not a morning person.
If I'm awake before 9 am - don't talk to me until I've had at least 2 teas or coffees lol

Although I have to ask, what experiment are you doing? I'm intrigued :p

I’ve been watching the Project Diaries on YouTube. You can grow or re-grow loads of veg from old veg you have in your fridge. I’ve just germinated some Lemon seeds so I’m attempting to grow a lemon tree. ;)

I scraped the seeds out of a cherry tomato and I’m attempting to germinate them by planting them in a shallow seed tray with a bit of compost. When you start getting a few successes, it’s quite addictive.

Apologies @Buxom for barging onto your thread.

What I tend to is just go for it on the 1st, maybe even 2nd appointment and obviously create peaks and troughs so you blend away that solid root. Then so the root doesn't take over, you could either freehand some bleach sections or do a scattering of foils, and then recreate your root blend after - I find this works really well. I hope this makes sense - I'm writing this before my morning coffee!

I thought you may be the “guru” who responds!

Your technique sounds like it may create a nice look of a lowlight in the crown?

I’ve been watching the Project Diaries on YouTube. You can grow or re-grow loads of veg from old veg you have in your fridge. I’ve just germinated some Lemon seeds so I’m attempting to grow a lemon tree. ;)

I scraped the seeds out of a cherry tomato and I’m attempting to germinate them by planting them in a shallow seed tray with a bit of compost. When you start getting a few successes, it’s quite addictive.

Apologies @Buxom for barging onto your thread.

Oohh interesting! Good luck! I love the idea of a lemon tree :)

Last edited:
I thought you may be the “guru” who responds!

Your technique sounds like it may create a nice look of a lowlight in the crown?
Haha thank you. Yeah it usually creates a nice effect, I tend to use a demi permanent /quasi for this. Just to clarify when I spoke about highlighting I would do this first obviously then create your root smudge. Sometimes in the first appointment I won't do highlights because usually the root is quite small.

Haha thank you. Yeah it usually creates a nice effect, I tend to use a demi permanent /quasi for this. Just to clarify when I spoke about highlighting I would do this first obviously then create your root smudge. Sometimes in the first appointment I won't do highlights because usually the root is quite small.

Thank you! Should the Demi fade out warm? She pulls extreme warmth and is opposed to seeing this in her hair.

My other thought then is in future sessions while foiling, if I’m breaking her root only a level I know if she leaves even with her root looking a bit ashy, it will wash into warmth. Which is why I tend to think removing the pigment first is ideal... but then you overlap, so...I don’t know!

My other thought then is in future sessions while foiling, if I’m breaking her root only a level I know if she leaves even with her root looking a bit ashy, it will wash into warmth. Which is why I tend to think removing the pigment first is ideal... but then you overlap, so...I don’t know!
What is her natural base? Ilfor example if she's a 7 what you could do is highlight it, then do a root smudge with colour touch 7/89 +6/71 +1.9% and that would create a lovely cool tone, and fade to a more natural tone, no unexpected warmth because its not lifting the hair?

What is her natural base? Ilfor example if she's a 7 what you could do is highlight it, then do a root smudge with colour touch 7/89 +6/71 +1.9% and that would create a lovely cool tone, and fade to a more natural tone, no unexpected warmth because its not lifting the hair?

True enough! She is an ashy 7, but finds her base too dark to just do highlights and play with her natural lowlight.

My bad I just read she's a 7 and you want to do an 8. Obviously with a quasi that won't work.
What you could do, is do babylights and then use a 7/89 + 7/97 this will create a lovely cool ashy beige and obviously where the babylights come in it will create the illusion that the base is lighter. Becaue a level 7 won't be a solid level 7 over bleach :)

My bad I just read she's a 7 and you want to do an 8. Obviously with a quasi that won't work.
What you could do, is do babylights and then use a 7/89 + 7/97 this will create a lovely cool ashy beige and obviously where the babylights come in it will create the illusion that the base is lighter. Becaue a level 7 won't be a solid level 7 over bleach :)

Sounds beautiful! Thanks for your expertise as always.

Latest posts

Back