Please advise me on my rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip2010

Reaction score
My name is Tony, 28 years old and i have been a nail technician since i was 16. My family has always been in salon business, so i was basically raised in a nails salon.
I was taught how to do nails by family members also different instructors when i was attending nail school. Anyway, let me get to the point. Recently, i got into a big argument with everyones in my family because i told them i don't think what we are doing is right. We shouldn't use sub-standard products anymore and need to change our ways of doing things for the old methods clearly ruin clients nails and potentially hazardous for their and our own health, not to mention given all of us Vietnamese bad names in this industry.

I am ashamed and refuse to continue, therefore i am going to change and learn how to do everything right from now on. I want our salons to stand out from all the local nail bars. I want to be able to answer clients correctly instead of making up some bogus unproven things to say. So i am going to attend all the classes i can. Well, i hate to say bad things about people let alone my own family members and other techs.
However, i just can't stand the way they do things anymore, it is just blatantly wrong and the clients are oblivious to it because all they see is the end result of some 30 mins shiny nails. But i guess they (people i work with) didn't see where i was coming from, they continue to pick, laugh, and sometimes scold at me for taking so long, and i think i am pretty fast, 40-60 for a set of reverse application pink and white and even quicker with the little cookie cutting most tech use.

i normally spend the most time on prepping to make sure i do not damage my clients nails. And clients seems to notice that and appreciate it. But the co-worker and family members think it is a waste of time. I even told them, do not worry about me, just do your clients and i do mine, and even told them to mind their own business because i just don't know where to start to educate them, even if i try, they don't give a crap about it anyway.

I haven't had an upset or dissatisfy client for 2 years now(since i have been attending additional classes and reading salongeek as well ad Doug Schoon). I even bought my own products to use, but it's somewhat hurting me because the shop price list is so low, but i don't care too much about that because i still profit, just not as much as using cheap products and equipments.
They make fun of me because i just size 10 brush instead of 18 or 20 and pay 10 times more for my monomer and powders when i can just use whats already provided here.
They make fun of me and scold me when i use the curette to remove dead tissue instead of grinding away the nail plate with course arbor bands.
They don't understand why i use scrub fresh and condition my clients nails with expensive solar oil.
Almost everything i do is different from them, so they find something funny to say about it. And what really bothers me is when i take the time to care for a client's nails, the next time they come in, they don't care who do them then the guys/girls sit next to me would total mess their nails up and they are totally oblivious about it. Even make comments like wow you are so fast and i don't know why Tony takes so long.
So many time i want to tell her that because everything he just did on your nails are wrong and you are going to have very damaged nails that i took the time to pamper, but i didn't, i couldn't, that will make my family salon look bad and clearly it will not be a approved by my employer(family) for doing such thing.
I am so mad at this point, because my employer told me i need to speed it up and a coworker chime in and say he could teach me how to do nails properly so i won't' take so long (coming from a guy who makes nails look like bricks on top of paper plate nails :roll eyes:). I mean i can brush off ignorant comments, but when family members are not being supportive yet think that i am being stupid for doing all this, kind of hurt.
I just don't know what to do, i really am trying to be the best at what i do and because i actually like doing nails now since i've discovered the proper ways of doing it. But i constantly get **** for it.
Fortunately, my girlfriend is the only one who understands and supports me. I haven't talked to my family for 2 weeks now just because i don't want to be made fun of for trying to do the right thing.
I feel like i am gradually isolating myself from everyone else around me. Right now, i am trying my hardest to learn as much as possible and become the best so one day i can find a salon that actually care and do things right to work for, in the mean time, I'm stuck here working for family until that day comes.

Sorry for such a long rant, but i really don't know where to vent this, noone seems to understand, but you guys of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say...... well done Tony, you will shine thrrough eventually and untill then, stay strong.

xx

Tony.

What an amazing post!!!

A lot of Vietnamese nail techs here in the UK have a lot of serious skills but just don't love the nails and clearly you do.

There are lots of nail techs full stop who don't love the nails as much as they should do.

Well done you.

I am a beauty therapist who does nails not a nail tech but there are going to be lots of nail techs coming on to this thread who will give you amazing advice I hope.

I so hope Geeg and Flower and Chickafish come and help you.

Don't give up, it is your attitude that is the way forward and will take you guys to the top of the nail industry.

Peace ad respect

Jacqui xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stick to your guns. Your right & they are wrong. :)

Of course you have our support on here.

You may seem like a lone voice in your salon at the moment, but with your drive and passion for nails I am sure it won't be too long before you have you own salon, run your way, and lots of happy clients with fabulous healthy nails!

I do hope you maintain your relationship with your family though as we all need family. Maybe you can just agree to disagree and avoid the topic at family gatherings.

Well done you. Stick to your guns!

Could you not set up on your own?

Lilian x

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

When we want to change, we somtimes face great resistance often from those closest to us. I think that this may well change as you prove the benefits to them. Congratulations on making a stand.

Tony, like minded people just like yourself will be the future of this business! And for all the reasons you cited in your post. Let me congratulate you with your decision to become a professional in every sense of the word.
Family is important and don't lose sight of that, however don't let anyone make you feel inferior due to a ethical and professional attitude.
Your post should be inspirational to everyone that reads it as you personally have made some tough decisions for all the right reasons! Than you for making my day a little brighter!! good luck and stay in contact I'd love to hear your progress in the future!!

Well done you. Stick to your guns!

Could you not set up on your own?

Lilian x

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

Lillian, i would love to, but i initially thought that once i've learned and mastered my techniques and show exceptional results, then i can convince my family to change their ways, but i was wrong, my time in the salon was much easier back then when i didn't know what i was doing then now after i've learned how destructive the old way was. Plus, if i were to go out on my own, it has to be out of this city because we actually have a few salons in this area, so if i were to open one here and educate people about this, i feel like i am hurting my family business. I don't mind moving to a different city, but i am finishing up with my AA and getting ready to go for my BA here.

And thanks everyone for kind words and support, for the most part, i am very proud of the knowledge in this industry i've gain so far and can't wait to continue on, however, there are days that i just wanted to throw in the towel and either lower my standard so i can have a peaceful day at work or just quit. But i know either one is not the right way to deal with this, but i have school and other things in my life that i don't want to let this consumes me...in a negative way that is.

Last edited:
It's all about perception.

Could you take an influential family member to a couple of nail competitions so they could see the difference and be among a different style of nail professional?

Rather than try to change all your family members views and ideas, work on the one member who can actually make the others listen.

Introduce them to this site where they can mix in with other nail techs and exchange views and ideas on training and education.

Perhaps they will slowly see the benefit and value of setting new standards within your chain of salons.

Bless you heart Tony, (((HUG))) Chin up love, hope all works out well for you. It's hard to stick to your beliefs when all around you are dragging you back.
Give your girlfriend an extra hug to thank her for the support, and keep on with what you are doing

XX

It's all about perception.

Could you take an influential family member to a couple of nail competitions so they could see the difference and be among a different style of nail professional?

Rather than try to change all your family members views and ideas, work on the one member who can actually make the others listen.

Introduce them to this site where they can mix in with other nail techs and exchange views and ideas on training and education.

Perhaps they will slowly see the benefit and value of setting new standards within your chain of salons.

That is a great advice, i have never actually thought about it like you suggested, but sadly, i did try in a different way, like i offered to order and pay for VietSalon magazines subscription for everyone to read and let everyone know that i can order Doug Schoon dvd for the ones who don't like to read. But no one has shown interest. And every once in a while, we get a new employee, he/she at first shows a little interest but after seeing how fast others are and how their methods are so much more simpler/or less steps, he/she automatically adopts that method over mine because it is tedious and unnecessary, i can try and try to explain my heart out why i do what i do and i personally have used these poor techniques for years until two years ago thats when i decided to brainwash my self and rid of old destructive habits to learn new better ways. Nonetheless, all that for nothing, what i get in the end is target for ridicule. But the fact still stands that i get booked up almost everyday , and guess what their defense was: "He speaks better English and knows how to "trick" clients to believe what he does is better" :grr:. So I don't even bother anymore.

Last edited:
What an inspiration you are! You soo deserve to make it work ... What about you going to a diff branch ?? Or getting an expert into the salon? Or a customers feedback to your family...
Don't give we need more of people like you...

Tony,

I really don't think you realise how much of a 'pioneer' you are within your nail community with your changed mindset.

Without doubt those changes are going to come but obviously it is a long long way off still.

And it's not just in Florida!!

What was it that made you want to do it a different way?

What do you think is the main reason your family are so reluctant to change.

One person can't make the changes alone, but you are the example. If you can convert that one important person in your community then others will listen and maybe follow too.

Small changes first.

The journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.

I genuinely wish you success and feel your pain :hug:

You are the new generation and your family are old skool, it is eastern way versus western way.

You have two choices,

You set up totally on your own and move away from the family business
or
You stay with the family and continue to do what you are doing within the family business. Eventually, you will build up your own clientele and they will always ask for you and you may even be confident enough to then set up on your own.
The rest of your family might even take on board a few of your changes if they see that customers like it and ask for it, however, your family have been doing this for a long time and they know the market and women out there will pay for the service that asian nail salons provide - I wouldn't, because I don't like the quality of the work or the attitude, but I do like nice products on my nails (eg CND or Essie) but that's just me.

It's all about money at the end of the day, that's why the oriental salons beat traditional salons hands down on cost. Customers prefer those prices which is why these places are always busy. Even if their nails are being damaged, the cost of the service lures them back time and time again.

Eventually what might happen is that as more women start to care about what goes on their nails, they will go to salons that use better quality products upon which oriental salons will then catch on that they are loosing customers and then they will start to bring in changes, but at the moment it's supply and demand, and can you afford to factor in your changes with current prices in your salon? because remember, people want cheap.

Also, family is family, don't fall out over nails! They are old skool, if you think your way is right then you just have to work with them and prove them wrong but don't argue about it - persevere xx

Well done stick to your guns you got my support!!!!

Well, after reading so many supportive comments i can't help but feel elated. I am equipped with renewed confidence and positive attitude at the same time, your advices help me realize that this is a big change and anything as big takes time. Now i don't feel so unsupported anymore and knowing what i am doing is right, so i will continue to plow ahead to become as good as i want to be. Thanks every single one of you.

Tony. Le

Well, after reading so many supportive comments i can't help but feel elated. I am equipped with renewed confidence and positive attitude at the same time, your advices help me realize that this is a big change and anything as big takes time. Now i don't feel so unsupported anymore and knowing what i am doing is right, so i will continue to plow ahead to become as good as i want to be. Thanks every single one of you.

Tony. Le

And so you should! I am glad we have all helped you feel we support the you inside..
Hold your head up high and carry on... why not write a BLOG regularly for when you achieve your goal - and you can see how much you are actually achieving and be proud:o:D

Tony, I think you should be proud of yourself, even though I don't know you, I feel very proud of you and wish you the best of luck. I hope your family one day follow in your footsteps. Much love xx

Latest posts

Back